Chris Bergin: San Diego Chivas will follow MLS rules according to Trey Fitz-Gerald

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by pc4th, Sep 18, 2003.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something tells me that the Fire are not going to leave Ralph unprotected for the expansion draft.

2. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how about one of the criteria is the player's ability to speak Spanish. The coach will probably be someone from Latin America (at least I hope so) thus bring the Latin Soccer flavor to MLS (where most team are using EPL tactical style). Everyone know that EPL and La Liga play different styles. Most would agree that current MLS team style resembles EPL than La Liga. This San Diego Chivas team could resembles the style of La Liga more. This would bring extra bonus to the fans watching two different style of soccer.

Anyway, having Spanish as a criteria would all MLS to allocate players it hires to the Chivas team. Since MLS do all the hiring, they can pick and choose who play where. I don't believe any laws will be broken.

For example, a company call XYZ is a national company with many branches in 12 different market. It does all the hiring and distribute these 'personel' to different markets so that each market will have the best fit workers. MLS hire all the players, they can distribute these players to different branches all they want and still be legal within the law.

If this is not legal according to MLS lawyers, I am sure they will do it the traditional ways in which a Chivas team of 18 players will have 12 Hispanic-heritage players 4 white, 1 black, 1 Asian. This would satisfy everyone.

Just look at the Texas Rangers roster, they are loaded with Hispanics players and no body is complaining. I am willing to guess that more than 60% of its roster are hispanics.

3. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Re: Re: Chris Bergin: San Diego Chivas will follow MLS rules according to Trey Fitz-

Dipsy Selolwane, on the other hand :-/

4. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't wait to see who he brings over from mexico. Vergara has re-strucured the Chivas franchise in the mold of Ajax. He has even brought people over from Ajax including, if i'm not mistaken, the director their youth program. They've set up a massive scouting campaign and have signed alot of young mexican talent. Maybe he'll bring some of that talent to MLS. We can always use some more budding stars

5. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Absolutely...

I could also see him signing young Mexican Americans to Chivas de Guadalahara's youth teams, and bringing in the better ones as "discovery picks" etc.

6. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Or maybe he will set up an academy in San Diego and bring Mexican players up there to play with his MexAm players.

7. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Re: Re: No you mean...

I'm guessing it's covered in the Union agreement. Even if not, it would be legal as a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification (BFOQ).

8. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    So, if you are an Anglo and don't speak spanish and you live in San Deigo... what team do you support? Guess you are stuck without a 'home' team?

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, exactly. If Vergara puts a team in San Diego and attempts to market it to Mexicans who live in the area, then, no, you absolutely can't support that team if you're not Mexican, or maybe Hispanic, or, failing that, at least speak Spanish. Absolutely no reason whatsoever why you should consider a team that attempts to capitalize on a huge potential market in your area to also be your home team.

10. SoccerSD

SoccerSD Member

Mar 2, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Wow, San Diego looks like the definite choice...I thought it was still pretty much up in the air.

Yes, in any other city, I would love to "hate" this team...but, I'll be one of the first in line for my season tix. GO CHIVAS! They'll stay within MLS rules, I'm cool with that.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference is that Tom Hicks isn't running his piehole to everyone that'll listen, talking about how the Rangers will employ predominantly Hispanic players.

12. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my point earlier, but you worded it much better. Kudos!

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, actually, I was being sarcastic, but, then again, maybe you were too. ;)

14. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't Hispanic fans just look at it as just another MLS team?
    Is the name going to make that much difference?
    Will they care more about the team simply because it's owned by a Mexican owner?
    Just asking because MLS has had a difficult time selling to Mexican fans.
    I know they claim they know how to market to the Mexican/American and Mexican communities better but I have my doubts. I hope it suceeds but I'm not as convinced as the Chivas owner that he's going to fill the stadium every week in San Diego as he has stated, or even close.

15. atorres4

atorres4 Member

Sep 17, 2002
    CAL: orange county

HAHAHAHA...thats right

16. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The news outlets will give it more coverage. The name brand says a bit. But more important is the fact that they will probably play a game that Latinos will recognize, AND in the future they will be able to recognize themselves in that Chivas will make a concerted effort to tap into the barrios, which until know have not been properly resourced (for a lot of complicated reasons).

It gives the communities (emphasis on the plural, as Latinos are not a monolithic entity) a sense that, hey, the US soccer establishment is doing something to include us in the future of the sport. There are some Latinos on the USMNT, but a lot of them are products of suburban soccer clubs, not the barrio, and/or they've had to assimilate to a British-esque style of play.

17. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Chris Bergin: San Diego Chivas will follow MLS rules according to Trey Fitz-Gerald

That's actually the point the lawyers would make. In discrimination law, the easy part is proving "discriminatory impact"-- in the US, every workplace that's not completely balanced would arguably show this.

But many cases fail because you also have to prove an intent to discriminate. I mean, how many companies are going to go around and tell people "Hey we only hire white people!!!"? Really, who would be that dumb?

Unfortunately, Vergara's been running his mouth, so I think Chivas STD will have to watch its steps carefully.

18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Chris Bergin: San Diego Chivas will follow MLS rules according to Trey Fitz-Gera

I wonder how this can be achieved. With a coach who imports a specific mentality? I mean, it seems pretty obvious that this new club, if it happens,will have a roster make-up not dis-similar to the other 10 MLS clubs. How can such a team play the type of football to which you refer? Or, put another way, just what do you mean by "a game that Latinos will recognize?" I'm not trying to be confrontational, by the way. But I do doubt that SD Chivas will be appreciably different from any other MLS club, but for the name. And, in the past, the league has brought in other foreign coaches with strong CVs. They've pretty much all flopped. I suspect it's because they really didn't understand the American soccer landscape within which they had to operate as MLS coaches.

It'll be an interesting experiment. Again, if it happens.

19. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    And you know what?

Chivas USA or San Diego Chupacabras will become the most hated U.S. team in Mexico.

And once again it will prove the perennial social fact: any Mexican living in the U.S. and enjoying the freedom, prosperity --no matter social status-- and American justice system, becomes a "de facto" "paria" for many Mexicans.

Can you imagine Chivas USA representing MLS and touring Mexico against Atlas, America, Morelia, Irapuato, Veracruz, etc...?

Many healthy rivalries and passionate encounters will come out of SAN DIEGO CHUPACABRAS...

C'mon over... not a minute too soon...

20. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I can't say I'm convnced Chivas SD is a venture that's sure to succeed. There's all sorts of potential problems and they've already shown they don't understand the cultural intricacies.
    (1) The hispanic community (as has beenpointed out earlier) is not a single cultural type. There's people who just arrived in the US from Mexico by various, not all of them illegal, means. And then there's people who have been part of the US since the end of the Mexican American War in 1848. These various comunities don't necessarily get along. And let's not forget the various Central American communities. There's already a great deal of friction between the various hispanic communities.
    (2) Although hispanics are a strong economic force, the real corporate power resides with the anglos. You can't make money on a sports team in the US without strong sales of corporate boxes.
    (3) There seems to be a certain arrogance in the Chivas people, kind of like "we'll show you how it's really done." Arrogant outsiders are prone to generate hostility no matter what the situation.
    (4) Businesses are simply run different in Mexico than the US. In Mexico, there's seldom any need for any kind of openness and nobody questions things. Here, everybody questions everything.

In short, this is going to be awfully interesting. I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

21. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Re: Re: Re: No you mean...

But if "Fiddler on the Roof" needs someone to portray a Russian/Jewish dancer instead of any old dancer, why can't Chivas require their employees to portray Hispanic soccer players (rather than just fill the role of "socer player")?

22. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No sarcasm intended this time...

If you grew up watching Latin American soccer, you probably have expectations about what soccer looks like that don't always match well with MLS (e.g., emphases on ball control skills over commitment or effort; praise for dribbling and showtime moves over criticism of inefficient dribbling; short possession passing over more direct balls; officiating that punishes physical play over officiating that just lets 'em play, etc.).

Obviously, not all teams play in that style all the time, but that's what people want to see. Watch a full season's week in, week out worth of MFL, Colombian, or Brazilian soccer and that's the style that you'll see most teams trend toward and fans and commentators encourage.

And, just as obviously, today's MLS isn't really a poor man's version of the SPL or English First Division. But it's hard to change perceptions that were ingrained during the league's early seasons. MLS started off on the wrong foot with the likes of Bobby Houghton and Frank Stapleton. There's now some soccer played in MLS every week that could appeal more effectively to fans who grew up following Latin American soccer, but it's hard to get that message across.

If SD Chivas can play in that style, maybe it'll help appeal to a market that hasn't found the style of play in MLS very attractive.

I agree that it's not clear that a team that operates under MLS salary and roster constraints can play that style and win in MLS. You could probably do it if you have the sorts of players that you have at River, Cruzeiro, Sao Paulo, or the better MFL teams. But if you try to play in the style that SD Chivas may attempt on a roster within MLS salaries, I don't think you can deal with MLS' pace of play and physical style (and officiating that allows it). We'll see.

23. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Re: Re: Re: Re: No you mean...

Why didn't Coca-Cola just say that african-americans couldn't portray white executives? They ended up paying many millions to settle lawsuits against a group of of their african-american employees not too long ago. Hey, I'm not a lawyer. But if I was a hungry California job discrimination lawyer, I'd take a shot at this one just for the publicity and the chance that they'd settle out of court.

24. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, I guess that if I was Hispanic in any of the other MLS cities, I shouldn't support the local "Anglo" MLS team because they are not my 'home' team.

People commonly complain over and over again about all those furriners and Euro-snobs that won't support US soccer, but god forbid if a team wants to have an ethnic bent to it, all those "Anglos" get their panties in a bunch. If it wasn't for ethnic teams in the 50's and 60's keeping soccer alive, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Where are you from, law5guy?

- Paul

25. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Chris Bergin: San Diego Chivas will follow MLS rules according to Trey Fitz-Gerald

I agree that the likelihood of success for a prospective SD Chivas is certainly an open question, but...

True enough. First, it's not clear whether Vergara will market to just Mexicans or to a broader Latin audience. If Vergara decides to really just go for the Mexican audience, then maybe that's enough to run a good business in and around SD, maybe not. I don't think we have any way of assessing that question reasonably at this point, but if he wants to spend his money, then I'm happy to watch him try to make it work.

It's not a question of whether Anglos have more economic power than Hispanics. The question is whether the market that Vergara intends to target in SD has enough economic power to make that prospective business work there. I don't think we know.

I'm not sure I'd call it arrogance. Vergara believes that there's a market consisting of soccer fans that finds the soccer played in MLS unappealing, but would find the soccer played by a SD Chivas appealing. That's not arrogance - it's just good market definition. It remains to be seen if that market will support his prospective business, but that's another question.

Well, I suppose reasonable people can differ about these sorts of things. The level of openness required in running some types of businesses in the US isn't really that open. And most of the Mexican business people with whom I've dealt are quite well-informed about American business and legal rules and practices.

Yup. Si.