"Choi going nowhere, says Ichihara coach"

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by yetanotherkim, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    You have to keep in mind that many of these rumours are created by overseas news reporters, and for some reason, reporters in Europe STILL dont understand Japan's regulations on foreign players.

JEF could easily sign Ilhan Mansiz and still keep Choi, and there would be no problem at all (except that only three of JEF's four players could be named to the lineup card for any given match)

Lots of overseas reporters seem to think that J.League clubs can only have three non-Japanese players on the roster. But there are already several clubs who have more than three. Examples include FC Tokyo and Jubilo Iwata. Assuming that Ilhan Mansiz can be signed for a fairly low salary, and considering that the salaries of Lubo Moravcik and Zeljko Milinovic are already pretty reasonable, I see no reason why JEF couldnt keep all four players. After all, their sponsor (JR-EAST) has always shown a willingness to provide plenty of financial support.

2. yetanotherkim

yetanotherkim New Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks, M...

So, 4 is the limit on foreigners in a J-League squad?

In K-League, teams can have up to 7 foreigners in the squad, up to 5 in any match entry, but only up to 3 can play simultaneously... this is a major head-ache for managers.

Anyway, it would be great to see Ilhan Mansiz in the yellow-green jersey.

3. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    There is ***NO*** limit. If some team really wanted, they could have 100 foreign players on the club (if they could afford to pay them). The only rule is that you can have only 3 players on the lineup card for any one match. But the next week you could name another completely differerent three players.

We will see. I think he might get a better offer from Europe, though

4. Ticallista

Ticallista Member

Jul 5, 2002
    i'm not sure if ilhan would actually want go to japan at such a young age.

he's got offers from several italian clubs including chievo which will be playing in europe this year.

so i think he might pass on a move to JEF, unless the club pays him big money.

5. Ticallista

Ticallista Member

Jul 5, 2002
    ok..27 is not that young but he can still spend a couple more years in europe.

6. yetanotherkim

yetanotherkim New Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Understood.