Chivas USA lining up Adu as Designated Player

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by brandonplaysguitar, Aug 10, 2011.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Awesome.

2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    DP . . . . really?

3. THE_Wiz_Kid

THE_Wiz_Kid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what a waste of a great opportunity. Chivas USA? Get that kid on a more respected team and everyone wins

4. 75 Cent

75 Cent Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Could be pretty cool. At first I'm sitting here thinking this isn't gonna help his development. But then again, neither is riding the bench at a foreign club.

5. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky shit for them. I wish the Union could of pick him up. But Freddy Adu does have his downsides. He plays like Messi for the USMNT, but then plays like krap for the club teams. Hopefully, he can kick ass for them.

6. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    philadelphia would eat him up

7. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see some team wanting him, I can't see him as a DP, he's been all over the planet without making an impact (this would've been funny if he was going to Montreal), leave it to ChivasUSA to make dumb moves, hopes it works for him, the media messed up his career making a 14 year old kid believe that he is the next Pele.

8. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    If this is true, I am disappointed. There are teams with better talent that can feature Freddy and help him reach his potential faster. Im not sure Chivas is the right team for him. Which one of Chivas' attacking players thinks as fast as Freddy can.
    ............ But tis better than not playing at all.

9. THE_Wiz_Kid

THE_Wiz_Kid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu could be a great attendance-booster for almost any franchise other than Chivas USA

10. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I am disappointed that of all the returning US Nats over the years, Adu will be our first one to come in as a DP (not grandfathered in like LD and CR).

makes me sad.

11. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    You really don't think that it would give people that don't care about Chivas USA a reason to go to their games? Right now they have no one they can really market to anyone and they draw reasonable crowds (they are somewhere around 13k last I calculated). Hell, it gives them a needed boost of awareness and really sets up some good story lines when you have him playing against Donovan. Adu, for better or worse, is still one of the most marketable US players despite him not doing crap in the past several years.

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Reyna was a new DP to MLS. He (specifically his previous contract) was not grandfathered in, since he did not have an MLS contract until the DP rule was put in place by MLS.

13. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    People always forget Reyna. Hell, I forgot Reyna and I had looked up that he was a DP two weeks ago! Guess that happens when you play something like 87 minutes over two years.

14. brandonplaysguitar

brandonplaysguitar New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu will be only the third American DP.

15. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    I like Adu, I don't see DP value with Adu.

16. Gallade

Gallade Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    he's not a bad DP on publicity alone, but Chivas is not the place. i mean really. he needs to be somewhere where his eyeball factor will be maximized.

17. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I like Adu as a player. I guess I buy into alot of what the Pro Adu fanatics say...

I think that he can help push Chivas USA to the next level. Robin Fraser should be able to use him well.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Seattle to be honest.

18. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted him in Seattle a while back. But now that we have Rosales we don't really need him anymore. He's not the type of strong strike partner for Freddy Montero that we need, IMO.

19. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu will be worth DP money if he is in a system where he can succeed. I would like him on a team that plays a 4-3-3 and he can play as a CAM. That's where he is best. Freddy isn't fast but has great skill and vision. Keep him off the wing and away from up top. let him connect and pull players in the game.

20. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    the media are hardly the main culprit here. mls and freddie himself didn't show any common sense.
    as for landing at cusa, i see nothing wrong with it. if you think playing mls soccer wouldn't be a bad idea for him (as i tend to think) cusa is good enough.

21. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yeah I forgot about that. Did he even play? :)

22. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    No, Adu is not a draw. When he was a 16 year old phenom, people were interested. Now . . . not so much. Will some people show up to see his first game; I am certain they will. Will they boost the average attendance over the course of the season; not even close. Winning will do that and am not sure he would be my choice at DP money to lead that charge.

23. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas USA barely grabs 13,000 and when they do it's mainly for visiting teams like New York, LA, Seattle, etc. Watch a Chivas USA vs. Columbus, or Vancouver, or New England game. It's empty. The supporter's sections have a small little group. Otherwise it's filled with people that just want to go to a soccer game on Saturday night because Chivas tix are so cheap.

If he comes back to MLS, I would rather see Adu go to a Vancouver, Toronto, or New England. Those teams need a spark, and Adu can provide that.

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't think Chivas needs a spark? Chivas is pretty much the epitome of a team that needs a spark. Also, getting Adu is hopefully something that gets them to start being serious about marketing to the non-Hispanic community.