Chivas USA in first place

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by SFEarthquakes, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

That is incredibly nerdy.

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Numerista, who probably wouldn't even take much offense at being called a 'geek' once came up with the idea of changing the 3/1/0 to a 2/0/-1. Funny thing is he advocated this for a psychological reason rather than a statistical one--in a 2/0/-1, the incentives are in real terms exactly the same, but in nominal terms you can't ever claim you'd "gotten the point." Instead, coaches who settle for draws would have to use the more awkward defense that they'd not lost a point (and had denied points to the other team).

What I noticed about a 2/0/-1 is that with a few exceptions, you largely iron out the games played difference. You basically 'see' the ppg in the league table without having to take out the slide rule.

Uhm, no, I played Magic: The Gathering, thank you very much!

:eek:

3. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have you know that I have perfect eyesight. And it's Heroscape for me these days. D&D is SO 1982.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536317

4. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Chivas have put together a real solid team. It's too bad their attendance has dropped while their play on the field has improved so much. Galindo has been a fantastic addition, and Kljestan has quietly developed into one of the best midfielders in the league. They have a good mix of flair and grunt players, and Preki has them playing like champs right now.

But like others have said, the games in hand don't help unless you win them. Time will tell if the goats can keep it rolling through the end of the season and into the playoffs.

5. tacubo

tacubo Member

Jul 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Is there questions as to which coach is responsible? Does Preki or Bradley take credit here? Did Preki inherit a team about to shine or did he mold them into winners?

6. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Preki definitely takes credit. Did you forget Chivas DP allocation? There has been plenty of players that have tried out with Chivas and Preki wont take them for a good reason.

7. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kinda premature to lump tfc with rsl. they arent the '98 chicago, but an off season or two should see them much better off than rsl are now.

8. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Steve Urkel laughs at these guys.