News: Chivas USA in discussions on potential move from HDC

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by ϟkull, Jul 7, 2011.

1. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup fu## galaxy. I'd rather be a Eurosnobe.

CTS26 repped this.
  2. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The future is uncertain but i wouldn't mind if Chivas USA would play in a College/High School stadium as long as they have their own home.

Unak78 repped this.
  3. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should listen to What the Flock. You can learn a lot of things regarding this issue. Apparently, you are not up on current events. Don G. and the MLS have a very close and intimate relationship with CUSA. That includes investment capital.

CTS26 repped this.
  4. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

if you think that the league collective is going to spend money for one franchise to build a stadium you are delusional. especially if that franchise is Chivas USA.

lets look at the facts.

A. no matter what Don bloviates he does not run the league ... the other owner/investors do.
    B. all of those owner investors, aside from two, have had to plunk down their own cash to build their stadiums and/or bribe/con their local governments to do so. of the two that haven't yet, one of them (DCU) is in the process of doing so and the other, Kraft, is so cheap he won't spend money to build a stadium for his own team so he sure as hell isn't going to chip in to spend on a stadium for another team.
    C. even assuming for a moment all of these rich guys who own MLS teams all of a sudden got a bout of the charities and forgot that to get their teams stadium they had to do it themselves why on earth would they want to give that charity to Chivas USA? Chivas USA is a giant sink hole of money for the league already. it has the lowest fans per game and the lowest ticket revenue and the fewest season ticket holders. the owners of other MLS teams are already subsidizing Chivas USA in terms of their payroll because Chivas' 30% contribution to the MLS central kitty is about $1M, which means they are already stealing money from the league to the tune of nearly $2M a year anyway. and it isn't like the league owners are desperate to capture the LA market and thus need to as a league put money into Chivas USA. the LA market is already covered with the Galaxy ... Chivas USA is less relevant than the LA Sparks of the WNBA.
    D. the owner of Chivas USA clearly doesn't care about MLS ... so why would the other owners, especially ones for whom MLS is their central concern, spend their own money to subsidize the laziness and cheapness of an owner who cares first and foremost about a team in another league?

Chivas USA is NEVER going to get a stadium in LA ... if they are lucky they will trick some poor community desperate to be big time out in the IE to build them a stadium. Vergara isn't going to spend his own money building a stadium anywhere desirable and the political approval to do so even if by some miracle he did want to spend the money would take over a decade for an organization with actual political clout and relevance in LA ... neither of which Chivas has. but most likely Vergara will just sell the team to some owners/investors in another market that want a team and have the money and clout to build a stadium in their market and he will put that money in his pocket and be on his merry way back to Guadalajara.

because Chivas folding and leaving LA wouldn't make one bit of difference to MLS in either the short or long term.

MUTINYFAN repped this.
  5. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    It could be argued that temporarily playing in small, intimate grounds helped to build the fanbases in San Jose and Kansas City. But it didn't help in Dallas. It hurt bc half of the city didn't really even know they still existed when the left the Cotton Bowl. You have to have an engaged ownership that actually wants to capitalize on a fresh start. The Hunts are belatedly learning how to market their teams. The blueprint is out there for any franchise that wants to turn things around.

And it's going to take a bit more than simply winning bc I think it's hard to start winning in front of empty stands. Good players sometimes like to play in front of engaging atmospheres that they're used to abroad.

6. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been on MLS welfare for a couple of seasons now. Check YOUR facts.
    I never implied that would translate to a new stadium for CUSA, so you need to switch to decaf right there.
    A new stadium is closer than many of you think, but that's changed since Vergara has assumed 100% power. I can't argue on relevance, but I can tell you that your rhetoric is tired and unoriginal.
    I don't blame you because even Autistic kids can function when given special help.
    As far as never, well you should post here when ground gets broken DOWNTOWN.
    Until then, listen to the show and take notes. You might learn something.

CTS26 repped this.
  7. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    huh? yes, i know, your team has been on MLS welfare for their whole existence and will likely remain for the rest of their short existence. when your tickets are dirt cheap because nobody wants to go and barely anybody goes you don't get much ticket revenue and 30% of not much revenue is even less.

well if i'm still around in 10 years when you guys manage to get a stadium in Riverside i'll gladly come back and apologize.

8. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew you'd see it my way.
    Here's a sneak peak of tomorrow's press conference:
    http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nota/_/id/1657167/a-tres-anos-la-mudanza-chivas-usa-
    Let me know if you need translation. Don't be so ignorant or xenophobic, life is beautiful.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Anyone know when the press conference is happening?

I know some MLS teams stream video of events like this. Here's hoping ...

10. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be streamed on twitter via the Chivas USA handle, @cdchivasusa.
    or if you're in Beverly Hills, you can be there in person.

11. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and it'll probably be in Spanish.
    Follow me on twitter and I'll translate for you guys!
    EastLAChiva

CTS26, Gameface, Unak78 and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope this means you're leaving our forum

CTS26, aetraxx7 and Gameface repped this.
  13. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify, does this mean that CUSA is turning its attention/marketing exclusively to Mexican and/or Latino fans? Having everything solely in Spanish seems to indicate that they are writing off their white, Asian, and African American fans.
    If that is the case, then it is a shame and deeply troubling. We all know how well that worked the first time around...

14. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo! As one of those potential "write offs" it does feel like the writing is on the wall. I see it as more of a crime rather than a shame. Ethnic discrimination is a scourge that should never be tolerated in Major League Soccer.

MUTINYFAN repped this.
  15. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  17. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Any relocation or rebranding, apart from a soft re-brand, should be considered trolling.

18. Chester

Chester Member

Dec 30, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean a university like CSUDH??:eek:

19. jathan

jathan Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ontario, California
    Clearly that dude was just trolling

20. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/ci_21992170/mls-chivas-usa-owner-jorge-vergara-plans-reboot
    The good:
    The bad:

And the ugly:

21. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I don't think that it's a bad thing that they want to bring a Latin style of play to MLS. It's a part of what Jurgen Klinsmann is trying to incorporate into the USMNT. Let's not forget that part of what Vergara pointed out was Preki passing on Chicharito on loan. That's dumb. Chicharito isn't Henry, but he's a damn good striker for Man U right now.

Latin influence is a resource that we have in this country and we should use it whenever possible. I do think that there are teams in MLS that already utilize this, like Seattle and RSL to some degree. So to call that "the ugly" is a bit of a stretch. Teams all over the world have ideas on a style of play that they want to market their clubs around and it takes time to implement and make work.

sodi_gar repped this.
  22. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EastLA Chiva, You seem to be closer this Chivas USA story than anyone on this board. I really respect your opinion. What do you make of what Vergara had to say. In your opinion do you believe what was said by Vergara or is he just blowing smoke to buy time till he can unload the team at a later date.

23. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    This. Seattle and RSL both have figured out a good formula that incorporates facets of a European/ American style physical play with a Latin flare. They both play the most attractive futbol in the US hands down. We need something like that. It's definitely not a bad thing. The dutch are masters of this trade and help establish the barcelona system we see today

24. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Talked to a journalist friend not to long ago who has some ties to Chivas USA and very much in with the who's who of futbol in Mexico. He said Vergara will not sell anytime soon.

25. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an insightful quote. Definitely one of the biggest misses in MLS/Chivas USA/Preki history. Yet, the team was good for a good chunk of that time...
    Nothing in that quote says anything about the Latin style of play. It is a rant about going back to being Chivas Jr inside and out. He talks about going back to their original mission which was to be a team for Mexicans, by Mexicans, and of Mexicans in the US. When that failed, they tried to play like every other MLS team. Although they found some success under that style, he dismisses it by saying that it became a bad hybrid - the worse of Mexican and American styles showing up with no strong leadership. Nowhere does he say anything about adopting a graceful Latin style or the Euro-Latin hybrid present at Seattle & Salt Lake.
    The return of the "pro-Mexican, ******** everybody else" mentality is what I'm calling ugly. Mexican soccer is not beautiful Latin soccer. Mexican soccer is generally better than US soccer, but not as good or as pretty as South American soccer. And there is a shit ton more diving too.
    I agree with you.