Chivas is a good deal.

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by masterklh, Oct 27, 2003.

1. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    One thing that Chivas USA will bring to the league is... a common enemy. Americans have an inferiority complex. We do not like to be second best to anyone else. Chivas USA Is exactly that. A Mexican team in the United States.

That would bring bigger and better numbers to the stadium's if only for Chivas USA games regardless, it would improve attendance as we go see "our" team vs a mexican team.

I see lots of negativity about Chivas joining the league.. It is not a bad thing. Support for your own home team will increase as the enemy invades etc... Even if they do have there own set of rules so be it. They are not going to reign supreme forever. Maybe at first, but they will help step up the league a bit, and possibly bring some passion into this league with a common enemy.

2. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Hey MasterKLH, welcome to BigSoccer.

My question is how did someone from Guam become a Revolution fan? Where on my fair island do you currently reside? I hail from Santa Rita.

To bring this back on topic: I agree that the new expansion team will invoke a lot of passion (read: hatred) from the fans of the existing 10 teams. That could be good. What everyone would object to is if the new team would not be subjected to the same rules as the rest of MLS. The recent AP report
    should help assure those with such objections:

http://www.nj.com/sportsflash/metro...gi?s0383_BC_SOC--MLS-Mexico&&sports&njometros

Bring it on Chivas!

3. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Not..

I'm not from Guam, just reside here. I'm from Massachusetts but Uncle sam.. convieniently :p told me to come here, so I live in Yigo for 20 more days, then back home! finally..

I would agree to letting him swap his players between leagues.. But not in the way im sure he would like to do it. You set your roster thats it, end of story until next year. This is not baseball where if one player goes down, you bring up your best from the "other" league.

As far as having players under 24 on the team. even if its all mexican.. so be it ;) they are still the enemy and its within the rules of MLS so nothing wrong with that.

I still believe that what ever happens with Chivas USA, as long as they join the league under what ever rules, will be very positive for Soccer in the United States.

4. SpongeBobSquarePants

Jun 18, 2003
    Silver Spring
    I think a lot of people, not me, think it will be a traveling Mexican team that packs the stands with Mexican fans wherever they play. It might, if they put together a decent team. And, should they reside in San Diego, I think they might draw well there. Games in certain areas like LA, SJ, and Chicago might see a lot of opposition team rooting. However, areas like DC where there is relatively small Mexican market (and a high Central American market) is likely to draw a crowd very much against Chivas.

I do think the idea putting together an all-Mexican team is one that is sure to fail on the field. Coaches should pick players for their ability, not their ethnicity.

5. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't have expressed my sentiments any more eloquently than that. Well said. Though I still feel, like you, that Chivas in MLS can succeed if handled properly. Now as to what "proper handling" is, I have no friggin clue.

6. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Proper Handling..

Proper handling is.. Basically not trying to bend the rules. Doing things in accordance with the rules.

Good Marketing, Good Representation, Good Coaching. Good Team, Good Players

Basically everthing that Dallas has never been. Up until recently DC United was the Epitome of good handling. Currently the Galaxy / Fire are what the league should market. not only are the Galaxy succesful in MLS, they are 6-0-1 in International Competition this year. That speaks Volumes for MLS.

Good Handling by Chivas would be to reach out to the Mexican / Spanish populations around the country. Not only reach out but get them interested and excited in the team. They have the advantage right now, all they have to do is run with it.

7. SpongeBobSquarePants

Jun 18, 2003
    Silver Spring
    Re: Proper Handling..

But this is where you get into problems. If it is a Mexican team, Salvadorans, Guatemalans, Brazilians, etc. aren't going to support it. Even then, if they really want Mexican support they are going to need some real Mexican talent.

Campos, Hermosillo, and Hernandez got lukewarm support from the Mexican community. There is no guarantee that just because you pack a team with Mexicans they are going to flock to the games.

8. hiles8500

hiles8500 New Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Hyattsville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It will be great!

We need more international bang in the MLS. I see a lot of Latin American fans at DC United games, and three of my U12 players show up at practice wearing Chivas or Mexico jerseys. A stupidly run Chivas team will still be interesting. A Chivas that has some American content could be a contenda! An all Latin American Chivas would be like the Raiders, drawing great crowds on road trips.

I don't like the idea of MLS being an incubator for the college player/ODP players. MLS teams should have open tryouts every year so some of the Latin league hotshots can get a chance. They play great, but they are working too many jobs to get to college.

We should have some internationals, some college players, and some local latins.

And another thing: Get rid of the overtime periods!

9. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Proper Handling..

Well, we've never exactly packed a team with Mexicans yet. Campos, Hermosillo and Hernandez didn't work becuase they were tokens.

And who cares whether Salvadorans or Guatemalans support Chivas? Who said that it had to be supported by all latinos to be a success?

And as for whether there will be serious away fans for Chivas in Chicago, I say: Bring it. Section 8 can handle it.

10. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Response.

Even if Chivas does not bring out the Latino crowd to games… The emergence of a decent Chivas team WILL bring out more supporters to games in support of “the enemy”. They will be looked at like outsiders and that should help bring support to the existing teams. After all, Americans are patriots.

At the very least, Chivas will be an extremely marketable team to MLS and that will be a good thing. Even if they do not pan out, the first 2 to 3 years in the League it gives MLS a team to market. MLS will hype up Chivas as bringing MFL quality football to MLS. Hopefully after 2 to 3 years of marketing Chivas USA, they will be able to create some other big market teams (who ever happens to be the best at that time)

What will help MLS the most and I agree with what hiles8500 said, is that we need far more international friendlies for all teams. You see only DC United playing there team prestige playing International matches, and the Galaxy since they are Champions playing the Internationals.. Internationals will gain the league more respect and more notoriety. More respect = more fans.

Also one more thing I wanted to point out is that some teams do hold open tryouts. The Rev’s hold open tryouts for anyone interested in the off season. I’m not sure about anyone else, but I know the rev’s do.

11. manutd619

manutd619 New Member

Mar 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Please DO NOT bring Chivas USA to San Diego. The way I see it, the team will receive support from at best 50% of San Diego's soccer community. For me, personally, and the 50% or so of San Diego that is not of Mexican or Hispanic heritage, we are being aleinated by MLS with a possible all-Mexican side. If Chivas USA wants to come to San Diego, there will be a huge crowd, and I guarantee you will see a good chunk of the crowd that is always cheering for the opposition. Many of us in San Diego do not like the Mexican style of play, and we don't like their fans.

12. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I will agree with you on that :p I really do not like the MFL style of play myself.

Manutd619, That is exactly what MLS wants and needs. A San Diego team packing stands setting attendance records etc.. They do not care who it is.. but they are hoping the comrodorie(sp) will help bring up all attendance around the league.

Look these Mexican players come to our country, and set an attendance record, where is your support? That is or should be there outlook, make people pissed off and guilty :p

13. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    he said he will still go to games and support others!

that to me is already a gain to MLS.....that poor related fan in that san diego community had no Mls before, Now he has Vergara's team to talk about (even if they oppose the idea)

any good pools of players for Chivas usa to visit in or near sandiego?, that will be a perfect start to make up a team!

14. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for representing San Diego! (that was NOT sarcasm, by the way)

15. Matteo

Matteo New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    call me crazy, but this all sounds like a conspiracy to make a joke out of and eventually bring down mls and us mens soccer in general.

all this $hit sounds like a very bad idea to me.

16. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    By no means!

if the selection process of players used by ChIVAS USA, gives the Us national team 3 to 4 players in a year time, you will change your mind.

when you see another grp of people (BORN INTHE USA) represented in the USA sub20 or sub23....let me know how you feel.

17. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Quite honestly.. As a white man, I have American Pride first off and foremost.

If Chivas produces 2 solid mexican / latinos for the USMNT hay, im all for it.

18. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    white man..... did you ever had a problem with marcelo balboa, carlos llamosa, Perez (ELS), Tabare Ramos, fernando clavijo, ernie steward, Pablo Mastroani, Cobi Jones, or the french man that USA got as defender in 1998wc?

Now we might have a collection of those players, the only difference is that they all will most likely be born in USA, in one single team.

why ernie and cobi on my list? Trivia question for bonus points.