Chivas Did Not Sell Out

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by StoneIsland, Apr 4, 2005.

1. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For whatever reason, Chivas did not sell out the HDC. The L.A. Times has an interesting article. The Pope's passing, the time of the game, its availability on television, competing games, etc..., may have all had a part to play.

Fair enough.

Two questions:

Will the Galaxy sell out?

Did Chivas split or grow the market for the MLS in Los Angeles?

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm guessing the answer is "both". The real question is whether or not they've doubled the market, not that they need to.

3. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to posts over on the LARS boards, the Galaxy have already sold more tickets for next weeks match than showed up for the Goats.

4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this glass half full or half empty?

1. CDCUSA failed to sell out their inaugural game in a great venue.
    2. CDCUSA leads the league in attendence after one game.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    But why do we expect a sellout this year? last year's opener didn't sell out, why should this year's? 25,000 will more then satisfy me.

6. FreeNachos

FreeNachos Member

Apr 10, 2001
    North Hollywood, CA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chivas didn't sell out because of ticket prices...or so I say. I elaborated in a post on the Chivas board somewhere else. If you're Galaxy fans, you know because we're in a similar boat. The tickets are too expensive by like, I don't know, 30% or so. I really think you'd see full center sections (the sections you see on TV...which were half empty this weekend) if they didn't cost 42 bucks!

I know, there are family packs and group deals but everyone says Latino fans are more apt to buy walk up tickets. Well, what casual walk up fan has 200 bucks for his family to watch a soccer game? I'm just sayin.

The Galaxy, I'm confident will have a better crowd this weekend. The Chivas are GREAT for the city but it's not going to kill L.A.'s 10-year-old team. No way.

BUT , Chivas will be FINE and the Galaxy will be FINE. This city is where soccer fans will WISH they lived. The Chivas are why I bought season tickets this year! Well, that and it's a bargain if you want to go to games all season

I can't wait for opening day...I wouldn't be surprised to see a near sell-out. and I can't wait to go to a Galaxy game and actually cheer for the home team!

7. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    2004 we were coming off our worst season in history. we lost two very big players in cien and lalas, and we hadn't really brought in any players of note. also we had a fairly disgruntled fan base because sigi was still in charge. not to mention game 2 (i think) was "freddy mania".

this season we've got (for casual fans at least) a new coach, a vastly different team and the baby jesus. had we not been so royally spanked on saturday a sellout wouldn't have surprised me, but i think you're right 25K would be a good number.

8. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is no indictment whatsoever of pretty much anyone on these boards, nor especially my favorite group, the Riot Squad. But, I've never heard 18,000-plus louder than I did Saturday at the Chivas USA opener.

An unreal crowd.

Let's not be too quick to rip on their new fans.

Maybe I'm just in no mood to rip on anyone except us after that debacle in Columbus.

9. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the fans were on the ends, no one was in the middle.

Does Chivas set ticket prices or does AEG/HDC?

10. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Excellent point.

Perhaps a sell-out is too high a bar to set.

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    And we critisize AEG for the fact that they can't sell out the ground at these prices, but maybe they are maximizing profits this way...

12. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Yes they have... :rolleyes:
    Perhaps, it has to do with the fact that in order for Chivas fans to get tickets to the first game Vs the Galaxy. They have to buy a package that includes the home opener. :eek:

hehe, nah!!! don't mind me... I am sure the Galaxy would be able to sell out the HDC without any promotion tactics to get Chivas fans to buy this tickets. ;) afterall... isn't the Galaxy coming home from a nice 3 - 0 game? or was it 0 - 3 :cool:

13. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you set ticket prices too high you can maximise profits for one game but risk the long term. You want fans to come back again and again. And when you think of a team like Chivas you want legacy fans, where the kids and grandkids are eventually your fans. Where it becomes a part of a tradition. They don't need to give away tickets, but they should keep them affordable. The Mexican fan in LA is likely not to have a huge disposable income, but will spend the $$ if the quality is there and they perceive the game as a good value. Since I don't expect Chivas to get off to a really fast start, it may be that they've set initial ticket prices a little too high.

Those initial numbers are not bad, but a good team and affordable prices will keep them coming for years to come, not just a short term curiosity.

14. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    That crowd looked pretty rambunctious on the toob, sellout or not. (Crookeddy, are you paying attention here?) I didn't see children running up and down the aisles eating candy, and disinterested adults sitting around drinking coffee-based drinks....

Also, these are two different audiences, so they're building the pie, not splitting it up....

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I didn't say that Chivas fans will be typical MLS fans I was playing Devil's advocate and just entertaining the idea. Of course you got really pissed off, but you know what, it's going to be ok.

16. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what you saw for CHIVAS on opening day will be the norm- end zones and maybe corners/upper deck goes first. If the team struggles, the side lines will stay pretty empty. If the team takes off, because of the size of the stadium, people who buy late or try walk up, will end up having to pay the higher side line seats.. The Galaxy always had large walk up at the ROSE. The walk up at HDC is much smaller to fill the end zones. Thus, if the GOATS struggle this year, next year they will to either lower some ticket prices or bring in better talent etc. I think the GALAXY will not really be affected by the GOATS directly.. The GALAXY has had 2 mediocre seasons, attend. pretty much the same.. I think this year gets spiked by 2 Goat games, SJ should still draw well as a rival, opening day, 4th july, and DCU should all draw well. Whilel the GALAXY sucked in Columbus, the talent is there, LD may draw more casual fans, if the GALAXY takes off, they could break the average of the last 2 years and push the 27,000 level.. I think that would approach the first year at the ROSE and that would be quite an accomplishment.

17. eacorletto

eacorletto New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Who cares!!!. Go to chivas forum this is LA's forum..............

18. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, for comparison, those seats are $16 for the Earthquakes.

The prices might rise a smaller percentage next year, but they won't come down, IMO.

19. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    I do. They pay our team rent!

20. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't kid yourself Galaxy pay uncle Phil(AEG) just as much rent as Chivas.

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    They pay their owner rent?

22. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Professional sports financing is an amazing subject. Corporations paying themselves rent, writing the loss off on their taxes... It's all legal and amazing.

23. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Those $16 seats in the middle of a CRAPPY stadium is probably the main reason San Jose will not have a team soon enough.

When I buy tickets to Galaxy games ( I am not a season ticx holder), I pay a premium to have an unreal stadium, and pretty much an assurance of a team for years to come. I'm more than willing.

24. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Warning - the following is probably very boring]

Actually, it makes good sense. What it is is this: one AEG company (Galaxy) is paying rent to another AEG company (HDC). Why do that? Because HDC is involved in lots of different businesses (soccer, concerts, tennis, boxing, track & field, lacrosse, etc. etc.) If you want to know if HDC is making money, you have to track its revenues and expenses. Since revenue comes from different sources, you need to figure out which businesses are worth being involved in and which ones aren't, so you have to ascribe some revenue to inter-company transfers.

From the standpoint of AEG figuring out if GaLAxy is a money maker, you need to recognize Galaxy's costs. One of the costs of operating a soccer club is renting a venue - if the team were a free standing operation it would have that expense and if you looked at them as having income but free rent it would misstate the value of the business. So, in order to not have a set of misleading books showing artificial profits, you set up rent as an expense and an intercompany transfer.

The place where this gets dicey is setting the amount of the rent, because its not a true arms-length transaction. The people on both sides of the deal report to the same ultimate interest. If set artificially high, LAG looks bad but HDC looks good. If set artificially low, the reverse. So, within some reasonable range, the rent ought to reflect the real economic value of renting a venue such as the HDC stadium. Now that there is a Chivas team there is some basis for comparison. That rent negotiation was a true arms-length deal. Whatever they set on as the rent reflects the shared perception of the market between landlord (HDC) and Tennnant (Chivas) - or between AEG and Vergara. Now an accountant can look at the LAG rent and get a sense of whether or not it is "in the ballpark" of reasonable rents - because there is a measuring stick in Chivas.

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, after that, I guess I need to write up a couple more of my idiotic posts to even out the intelligence quotient on this forum....