China : Uzbekistan tackle [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Mar 27, 2019.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 MassachusettsRef, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  2. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    As in the referee missed the opportunity to give the red, and good for the club on having integrity?

3. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    From the article:

Wei, who has play 10 times for his country, added. "I sincerely apologise. Legs are very important to a soccer player, and nobody wants to hurt anyone. I hadn't touched the ball for a long time before the foul. I wanted to do something to slow their pace. It's truly unexpected to hurt him that badly."
    About six seconds between his last touch and the foul.

Not the best look for the referee to hurry the trainers off the field when the guy has a broken tibia.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I would go that far.

I was definitely commenting on the poor reaction from the referee. Not only does he not go red, but he's insistent the player needs to leave pretty quickly when, you know, he has a broken leg (though it doesn't appear medical staff covers itself in glory either).

I'm all for a harsh punishment and for the club stepping up. Not sure if a month ban and a possible contract termination for a bad tackle is "having integrity" or "overkill," though. It probably falls somewhere in between.

dadman, SCV-Ref and Soccer Dad & Ref repped this.
  5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yikes. Why does the phrase "Stevie Wonder could have given that red card" come to mind?

IASocFan repped this.