China discovered Australia?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ludahai, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    From Hu Jintao's speech to the Australian legislature.

"Back in the 1420s, the expeditionary fleets of China's Ming dynasty reached Australian shores. For centuries, the Chinese sailed across vast seas and settled down in what was called `the southern land,' or today's Australia. They brought Chinese culture here and lived harmoniously with the local people, contributing their proud share to Australia's economy, society and thriving pluralistic culture."

http://australianpolitics.com.au/news/2003/10/03-10-24b.shtml

WHAT?!?!?! There is NO evidence for any of this crap. What, is this the first step for an eventual Chinese claim to Australia? After all, they use similiar claims to believe that the entire South China Sea belongs to them.

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, it makes sense. Australia has a lot of land and resources. China has a lot of people. A marriage made in heaven.

How to speak Australian:

Ni hao ma.

Pijiou: Australian for beer, mait.

3. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big Deal, the Vikings discovered North America.

4. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I think they were the first to discover Australia, other than the Aboriginal people of course. The first Europeans were a Dutch ship in the 16th or 17th Century.

5. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    The aussies didn't even dispute the point but you had to because you now had proof that the commies want to take over the world.

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I recall reading somewhere that a good portion of Oceanic people are ethnically similar to south-eastern Chinese people. Additionally, I understand that there is some rather interesting evidence that points to the fact that the Chinese may have visited North America's west coast well before Spain landed in the West Indies.

I don't think it unreasonable - should there be supporting evidence - that the Chinese hit Australia at some point. What would be unreasonable is saying the Romans found Australia.

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    But it's kind of funny, makes me think of Chekov in Star Trek going "you know, the Russians invented..."

"You know, the Chinese discovered Australia"

8. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    By the 15th or 16th century, the Chinese had made huge Junks that could have their own fish farms in them, whilst European boats were smaller, slower, and couldn't go as far. It does sound a bit odd when they are actually sea-faring vessels, but it guaruntees an adequate supply of food. If any non-native population was to stumble upon Australia, it would probably be the Chnese, as they were far more advanced than anyone else at that time.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why yes Ludahai, it is. But if you adjust your tinfoil hat properly, you can ward them off.

10. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Were the Chinese that discovered Australia celibate?

This whole dispute could be easily resolved with some mDNA testing.

11. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, you are right. The Vikings discovered the Indians as well.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, they don't look Chinese

[​IMG]

13. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    This won't work as the Chinese explorers were likely male ones and we get our mDNA from our mothers.

14. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    "They brought Chinese culture here and lived harmoniously with the local people." can anybody read?

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm making fun of the concept of an inhabited place being "discovered." UNDERSTAND?

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no doubt the Chinese made it there. They were traveling extensively and there are some archaeological remains on the coastal regions of Australia, IIRC, including some with pot fragments made in Indonesia from about the same time period. But as far as anybody making extensive contact with Aborigines and affecting their culture to this extent:

...That's a load of steaming crap.

17. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    No one said it was "discovered" by China. It was just another flame attempt by the spastic Ludahai.

18. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    At the time the indians came over though there was no North America. It was still connected to Asia, which is how they got here.

The Vikings discovered NA for Europe.

19. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Can it you Red.

20. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    The Chinese were sailing the region for a VERY SHORT period of time, during the era of Zheng He from the first decade of the 1400s to the early 1430s. The idea that they were sailing to Australia for centuries is perposterous.

The Europeans sailed MUCH further with their smaller vessels just a few decades later. I have never seen evidence that the Chinese have landed in Australia. Where are the Chinese records of such a landing? Where are the maps?

21. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    HA HA HA!!! Shenhua just hates the truth of the horrible regime that he defends.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not really, because they kept it secret from the rest of the Europeans.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wouldn't be so sure. There is definite evidence of Chinese influence in Australia. Sociologists have discovered in the most remote corners of the Island some male Aborigines who have been observed to spend their evenings getting drunk while toasting to each other, then continue their drinking at a karaokee bar until they can barely walk and finally having a young prostitute take them to a hotel room and help put them in bed while overcharging them for doing nothing since they are too drunk to do anything.

24. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Wait until Shenhua sees that one!

25. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Vinland was pretty well documented though.