News: China! China! China!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by marek, Oct 10, 2019.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    And that's becoming universal across all sports. I was in Drummondville (about halfway between Quebec and Montreal) and asked this guy I was talking to what his favorite football team was (I expected him to name a CFL team like the Alouettes). Instead it was the Philadelphia Eagles. His complaint was that all around there were plenty of bandwagon NE Patriot fans.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I was in Maine last week. Lots of bandwagon Pats fans there too. :D

3. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Why don't politicians ever do anything about real problems?

chaski repped this.
  4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sometimes it's about nationalism. Many Argentines now support Barca because of Messi, and they supported San Antonio Spurs because of Ginobili. Most Argentines had no idea that there was a city in the US called San Antonio, let alone a basketball team, before Ginobili went to play there.

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what you're saying is that Argentinians pick their team favs the way SEC football fans pick their NFL favs...

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Americans pick their favorite Euro teams.

song219 and fatbastard repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Basketball's been big in both Argentina and Brasil for a while. We know that in America.

Well, I do think it's pretty far off, but I find it intellectually dishonest for trolls to suggest that it should be closer, by even making the comparison to begin with. Anytime they show up on social media, they compare MLS to leagues it can't hope to equal anytime soon. It's like every other second-tier or third-tier league gets a pass, but MLS doesn't. I don't know if that's because a lot of Americans seem overanxious to climb the ladder or not.

I think MLS is a good balance between big Euro and "local". A team I can drive 2-3 hours and see live, or watch on TV when I can't get over there. I didn't always think that, of course, because until AUFC got here, the closest MLS teams were Columbus and Orlando.

This is really a surprise, given the local club nature of UEFAball. Wondering why he wasn't a supporter of someone like Brondby or Copenhagen. I don't understand why Europeans or South Americans would do that, given the game's traditions there.

Oh, we've endured all sorts of ugly treatment because of our turf. Strangely (or not), we're not being equally praised for building our team and brand the right way- grassroots from the ground up, instead of getting aging Euro club players to come retire here. BTW, congrats on getting Arena and turning it around this year. Y'all gave us a real game, and should be even better next season.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bama fans on my SM feeds say Jalen's shaping up to be y'all's best QB ever. Giving him lots of love. That'll continue until/unless he beats the Tide in the cfp.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Wrong!

s-l300.jpg

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm concerned about China. In my lifetime, with the exception of the oil producers, major U.S. trading partners/allies have been good countries -- Germany, France, the U.K., Canada, Japan, etc. The Soviets were pricks but we didn't do business with them.

China is different. It is has also has a prick government, better than the Soviets perhaps, but repressive and corrupt. But this country we and the other democracies trade with. And in return, China has expectations. That worries me. Authoritarianism failed to win a military victory, but it might win via the cultural path.

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, Maine is part of New England, so you'd expect them to be fans of the Boston teams. Well, maybe not the French speaking areas like Lewiston or Old Orchard Beach whee they are Habs fans. Just like people in Kansas are fans of the Chiefs and Royals.
    Yeah, I think we'll be in that middle ground for a while, which isn't a bad thing. MLS won't be as big as the top 5 Euro leagues or the NFL/MLB any time soon, but that's OK.
    Yeah, you guys definitely do a lot of the right things, and it wouldn't bother me so much if we didn't have such an indifferent, apathetic owner for the past 20-odd years. Sure, a nice grass field is preferable to turf, but screw the "purists" whose teams play on grass but are badly run and clueless.
    I didn't think we were going to beat you, but I thought we at least had a shot. In reality, we were probably the equivalent to a 3-4 seed in the east, and I would have liked our chances against anyone other than the top 2. Considering we started out at 2-8-2, just being in the playoffs is a pretty good way to end. And I am more optimistic going into the offseason than I have been in years. The Revs are a couple of players away from being a serious, elite team.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Don't sugar-coat it. Kaiser Wilhelm was expansionist and Hitler was a right bastard.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Listen pal, I go back to Adenauer, and that's plenty old enough.

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best Ever? Clearly SEC fans never followed Big 8 football, let alone, Big 12

Jamelle Holloway / Thomas Lott / JC Watts would like a word...

He'll have the opportunity to pad numbers down the stretch and he will be in the discussion for best out of the last two Heisman winners whether he wins or not, but what he is benefiting the most from is a resurgent defense because there is no Mike Stoops at Oklahoma. It's finally clear to Crimson swilling Koolaid fans that neither Brent Venables, nor Josh Heupel was the problem. Both Mayfield & Murray had to make sure they outscored how many points their defense was going to give up.

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Switzer / Thomas Lott

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's why I picked Liverpool back in the 70s.

https://readliverpoolfc.com/2016/07/04/american-liverpool-players/

Hugh Lester made just two league appearances for Liverpool back in 1912. He is described by LFC History as “a noted amateur sprinter with a time of 10.5 seconds for the 100 yards”. The American played as an outside-left, whatever that is…

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hugh would be one of the better Illinois high school girls' sprinters these days.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Not a good pro among them.

This cracked me up:

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick Bosa the racist or some other Nick Bosa?

21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What in the hell is this topic of this thread?

Is it about China! China! China! ?

Is it about Canada?

Is it about Alabama pointyball quarterbacks?

Is it about Maine?

Come on, help a guy out here!

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Lao Tzu taught, "Water is fluid, soft, and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is soft is strong.”

Auriaprottu, superdave and xtomx repped this.
  23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What is soft is strong.

"I tell her that, but she never believes me."

song219, superdave and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    There's only 1 Nick Bosa!

So he has some strong Whitelandian opinions :eek:

Bosa also posted tweets calling Colin Kaepernick a clown, Beyonce’s music trash and labeled “Black Panther” the worst Marvel movie.

25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I might be able to tie this together somewhat. In a recent episode of Fresh Off the Boat (can't find the clip online), the family is watching the '99 WWC final. Half of them are rooting for Gina and half for America. When Brandi scores the PK and yanks off her jersey, the youngest boy pops his first boner and runs out of the room. A heartwarming tv moment. :thumbsup:

Capt.Tsubasa, Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.