"Child, Mandaric selected to Earthquakes Hall of Fame" (Thursday, 8/23/12)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    falvo repped this.
  2. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to two people who were huge for soccer in the south bay! I only regret that I was too young to be a fan when they were here.

I was thinking "What about George Best?" and then I read that bit at the end about the "highest moral integrity" stuff... perhaps with all his trouble with drinking, he wouldn't qualify, which is just sad.

3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long overdue. From a per entertainment perspective, I loved the NASL Quakes and Milan was a huge part in creating a team and atmosphere (Crazy George, half time shows, having the players get out into the community). Paul was Mr. Hustle. While Paul didn't score like Wondo, he had the same intensity. I thought that he would run through a wall at Spartan (ended up being Gabo)...

4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes teams that George played on sucked big time. He didn't get out in the community and he didn't really advance the team (on the field or off). Loved watching him, but I wouldn't put him in the Hall.

5. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absurdly so, it would seem to me. Doyle, Cerritos and Dayak get in before Paul Child? The HOF has existed since 2005, but up to now there were only three inductees? No disrespect to any of them, but I find all of this just slightly odd. Anyway, congrats to the new members. Child was my favorite Quake back in the day.

dakotajoe repped this.
  6. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. There are several other NASL Quakes who should have been inducted prior to the MLS Quakes. Mike Hewitt. Wee Man. John Rowlands. Ilija Mitic.

dakotajoe repped this.
  7. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    Yet another amazing gesture by the front office of the San Jose Earthquakes... No other MLS organization holds a candle to the one we support regarding the desire to embrace their history. NOT ONE!

Arguments can be made on who could could have or should have been elected. Arguments can also be made that this is overdue... But, c'mon... at the end of the day why discuss or debate this... Two of the pioneers of professional soccer in San Jose are being honored so let's embrace it and be proud! How many MLS clubs have a Hall of Fame with NASL guys in it?

Looking forward to seeing a packed stadium on September 29th and to catching-up with many of you that weekend. Again, thanks to the San Jose Earthquakes for being the "Class" organization they are!

dakotajoe repped this.
  8. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad like Pete Rose sad...
    I attended camps where Paul Child, the Demling brothers, Davey Kemp, and a few other 'Quakes took part. As noted before, George Best may have been good, but not a part of the community.

9. Rick Kane

Rick Kane Member

Jul 23, 2007
    My Avatar says it all!

dakotajoe repped this.
  10. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where was that? (And when? ;))

11. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
  12. Rick Kane

Rick Kane Member

Jul 23, 2007
    It was at a local Quakes Soccer camp which I think was held at Peterson High School in Sunnyvale. As for when, I"m guessing 1977 or 78.

13. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not happy, but I'm ok with this, mostly because it open a door for the NASL time...I only wish they consider Johnny Moore, honestly I don't know anybody else more deserving to be called at the Quakes HOF than him.

billward repped this.
  14. Two Stars Blue

Apr 17, 2005
    Yes. Yes. Yes. and Yes. And, by the way, Moore should be inducted twice - maybe 3 times - first as a player, second as an ambassador, and perhaps most importantly, third as the architect (at least in part) of our stolen dynasty.

The rest go without saying. As for Bestie. I think he still goes in. Yes he was on the drink, but he still was head and shoulders above the caliber of the teams in those days. I used to watch him at practice (when he hadn't disappeared with some phantom injury while he nursed a few at his pub in southern California). The guy was an incredible talent, even at that stage of his career.

I was fortunate enough to go to Del Mar High. At the time, the Quakes were putting up a number of their players in the apartments close by. I got to kick the ball around a few of then such as Derek Craig, Steve Ryan, Chris Turner and Sean Keohane. (I also got to teach a young Olympian decatholete named Bruce Jenner how to kick a soccer ball before he was to make the ceremonial first kick at Spartan a few nights later.) Falvo, I guess this was your old stomping grounds as well?

As for Child, he was one of the original snipers. Very opportunistic, I guess in the mold of Wondo more than anyone else. He got most of his goals because he worked so hard. Probably mentioned it before, but I remember an afternoon game against Dallas where Mitic was fouled just outside the box. The two of them briefly locked eyes before Mitic hit a perfectly weighted ball over the defender's shoulder (Steve Pecher?), into the 6 yard box that Child lunged at and lifted over a desperate Kenny Cooper (Junior's dad) for the goal that led to an eventual 4-0 shellacking.

As for Rowlands, we could open an entire thread on his contributions. Coming over from Seattle, where he had played center forward, to our central defense, where he dominated the air and brought a stability and a tenacity that we wouldn't see until Frankie brought in Agoos as part of his cocktail napkin plan in 2001. Safe to say, there's no shortage of deserving candidates...

15. Two Stars Blue

Apr 17, 2005
    Yes. Yes. Yes. and Yes. And, by the way, Moore should be inducted twice - maybe 3 times - first as a player, second as an ambassador, and perhaps most importantly, third as the architect (at least in part) of our stolen dynasty.

The rest go without saying. As for Bestie. I think he still goes in. Yes he was on the drink, but he still was head and shoulders above the caliber of the teams in those days. I used to watch him at practice (when he hadn't disappeared with some phantom injury while he nursed a few at his pub in southern California). The guy was an incredible talent, even at that stage of his career.

I was fortunate enough to go to Del Mar High. At the time, the Quakes were putting up a number of their players in the apartments close by. I got to kick the ball around a few of then such as Derek Craig, Steve Ryan, Chris Turner and Sean Keohane. (I also got to teach a young Olympian decatholete named Bruce Jenner how to kick a soccer ball before he was to make the ceremonial first kick at Spartan a few nights later.) Falvo, I guess this was your old stomping grounds as well?

As for Child, he was one of the original snipers. Very opportunistic, I guess in the mold of Wondo more than anyone else. He got most of his goals because he worked so hard. Probably mentioned it before, but I remember an afternoon game against Dallas where Mitic was fouled just outside the box. The two of them briefly locked eyes before Mitic hit a perfectly weighted ball over the defender's shoulder (Steve Pecher?), into the 6 yard box that Child lunged at and lifted over a desperate Kenny Cooper (Junior's dad) for the goal that led to an eventual 4-0 shellacking.

As for Rowlands, we could open an entire thread on his contributions. Coming over from Seattle, where he had played center forward, to our central defense, where he dominated the air and brought a stability and a tenacity that we wouldn't see until Frankie brought in Agoos as part of his cocktail napkin plan in 2001. Safe to say, there's no shortage of deserving candidates...

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Along with all the other potential future candidates mentioned here, I'd also include Johnny Moore, Peter Bridgwater, Dan Van Voorhis and Tom Neale.

Granted, Tom Neale was the team's GM for only a year (though I think he was with the front-office for a while beforehand) before joining the then-MetroStars to be closer to his then-fiancée's family, but he was instrumental alongside Frank Yallop (whom Neale hired) in kickstarting The Golden Age going into the 2001 season.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

billward repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agreed. The Quakes and their fans (you deserve some credit, too, gilmoreaz) are at the forefront across the league in honoring their history. And this is a giant step. The induction of NASL Quakes into the MLS Quakes' Hall of Fame adopts, in a formal way, "the Club" mantra that Johnny Moore espoused at the SSV Community Foundation dinner in 2010. Our Club now officially transcends leagues, and it also recognizes "builders" as well as players.

I fully expect the Wee Man to be inducted some day soon.

billward repped this.
  18. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I attened the Quakes camps at SCU. More like 75 or 76 for me.

19. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Stokes? I had a friend (also a Del Martian) who lived there around that time. I went to Del Mar also, but perhaps a few years before you did.

Interesting. When I was at SJSU, I remember watching Ryan and Easy Perez play.

20. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were those the ones run by Dave Chapwick? (I think I got that name right :confused: )

21. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I strongly agree with Bridgewater & Van Voorhis and obviously Johnny should already be in the HOF, but Tom Neale was one year. Thanks for the good work but not HOF material.

22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct...

23. tectonicnight

tectonicnight Member

Mar 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wonder if they will acknowledge the fact that Child and Cerritos are tied for the club goal-scoring lead at 61. that would be nice.

Bzzzt!! Actually, Dave Chaplik was head coach of the SCU soccer program from 72-80 before he joined the Quakes in some sort of noncoaching capacity, and, yes, he did run those soccer camps (Mitty HS in summer '77 for me).

DotMPP repped this.
  24. tectonicnight

tectonicnight Member

Mar 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, i guess i should've read the article before commenting, but i meant at the HOF ceremony and going forward in club record books. :confused:

25. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, let's not forget they renamed the gate off of El Camino Real at Buck Shaw for him, and gave away jerseys with his number on them to season ticket holders. the club's done a pretty good job in recognizing the accomplishments of Best.