Chievo's Eriberto admits changing name, lying about age

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by sidspaceman, Aug 23, 2002.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    MILAN (Reuters) -- Brazilian winger Eriberto, who plays in Italy's Serie A with Chievo Verona, has admitted he has played under a false identity and age for the past six years.

In an interview with the daily Corriere dello Sport, Eriberto, says he used false documentation to claim he was four years younger than his real age 27.

Eriberto, real name Luciano Siqueira, is currently in Brazil where he has confessed to the fraud to a tribunal in Sao Paulo.

"I know I have made a mistake and that weight has been with me and I have been unable to live calmly," Eriberto told the paper.

"From today it is no longer like that and I feel happy again," said the Brazilian.

Corriere says Eriberto, registered as Da Conceicao Silva Eriberto, took up the false name and age in 1996 before joining Brazilian club Palmeiras.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/2002/08/23/eriberto_brazil/

2. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Hhahaahahaha, this so crazy, but sometimes people gotta do what they gotta do to accomplish their goals, and make a better life for themselves, which he did, they say he grew up very poor, so i think it's understandable for what he did, and i have nothing but love for a guy like this, hopefully they don't throw the book at him or ban him from football for a long time, people have done a lot worst!

3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well they might throw him out of Italy but I am sure he will not a get a lifetime ban from all futbol.

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    FIFA to launch own probe on Luciano

MILAN -- FIFA has suspended Chievo's Brazilian winger Luciano, formerly known as Eriberto, after the player admitted to playing under a false identity for six years.

Luciano was suspended by Italian soccer authorities earlier this week pending a full inquiry into the affair and FIFA says it will also launch its own probe.

"As the alleged behavior of the player in question constitutes in itself a serious violation of the FIFA disciplinary code, an inquiry must be initiated in order to determine the exact conditions under which the alleged behavior took place," FIFA said in a statement on Friday.

http://espn.go.com/soccer/news/2002/0920/1434562.html

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Clubs also hit with monetary fine for role in deception

MILAN -- Chievo's Brazilian winger Luciano was handed a six-month ban and a $145,000 fine on Wednesday after he admitted to playing under a false name.

After a hearing, the Italian Football League's disciplinary commission said it would also fine Chievo and Bologna $74,040 each for indirect responsibility in Luciano's deception, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.

http://espn.go.com/soccer/news/2002/1009/1443624.html

6. brazil2002

brazil2002 New Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Porto Alegre, Brasil
    Punishment is too harsh.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That maybe true but it could of been worse.