Chicago, why are you so quiet? [Section 8 stuff]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by HalaMadrid, Oct 20, 2003.

1. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Yeah, maybe we are being tough, but we're earned the right to be tough on ourselves.

And the acoustical issue IS a real problem.

I'm glad people like the LMR banner. it's actually the one that people mention the most when they have compliments. A lot of work from a lot of people went into it and hopefully we can pull off a similar project this offseason.

2. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

seeing these two posts in a row has made me laugh the hardest i have in weeks

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What needs to happen is finding out what in the crap the Koreans do that have themselves so friggin' organized. Their WC intensity wasn't a suprise to me. I saw South Korea play in the '96 Olympics and their fans were the loudest, most synchronized back then too.

4. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Kimchee.

5. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think having Section 8 tickets the cheapest gets you in trouble somewhat. I mean, it's great that you guys get cheap tix, but it also attracts all the people going for the cheapest seats without knowing or caring what the section is about. I thought it was good at Naperville when the opposite end zone was cheaper (?) by a few bucks to separate out the bargain-hunters from the hard-core (if that's not the way it was, well, it's the way it should be).

Peer pressure works both ways. If nobody around you is singing, you feel a bit self-concious screaming your head off. No matter how much warning you give about the requirements of the section, quite a few people won't care or understand.

You guys are still the best in the league.

I'll see you at the first playoff game, hopefully (c'mon United!).

6. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    Communism.

7. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    In that case the Metrostars should be the most in sync group out there.

8. modernpiracy

modernpiracy New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    chicago
    i was wondering if us lifting up marcin was helping at all. i was so frustrated because i was seeing so many unfamiliar faces that refused to sing. not once did i swear at them and apparently they were still offended. f that.

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Lifting up Marcin definately helped.

10. Fuhrer

Fuhrer New Member

May 25, 2003
    Elmwood Park, IL

Acually the tickets aren't the cheepest the cheepest ones are behind the fanclub, where you could see more. I liked the place of section 8 at the old stadium.

11. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    You can't let that affect you. I've sat in section 117, 15, 21, 8, 18, & 20 at OSF; 8, 9, 14, 15, 103, 104, 109, & 110 at Cardinal; and thus far 207, 237, & 122 at NSF. It doesn't matter where I'm sitting, the demeanor is the same: yell loudly, berate the refs after bad calls (lots of opportunities for that), heckle opposing players, basically scream at the top of my lungs. It the people nearby don't like it they can move. We've gotten more than a few side glances, occasional almost dirty looks (usually after some strong language directed at the ref) but no oral negative feedback (not that it would do any good). Screw peer pressure - yell, shout, sing, scream your head off. Especially if you are in section eight. If you let yourself be intimidated to not yell, etc. in section 8, then the problem is you, not them.

12. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree with this statement. My take (sitting in 121, which reminded me of Section 6) is that most of the people who were not singing/chanting in 122 were people who had no idea what Section 8 is about. Furthermore, I very much doubt that these people are registered on bigsoccer, so when we talk about getting people to sing, I think we're preaching to the converted.

Here's a thought on how to combat this: Ask someone in Section 8 why they are not singing, and, if you get the feeling that they are not going to sing, ask why they chose to get tickets in a standing/singing section when they had no plans to join in.

Flame away.

13. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    Then have counselors on hand to help them find their motivation to sing! :)

14. Don't forget that the first one is actually my line, my quote.

15. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I wasn't sure about the ticket prices. I was just trying to explain why not everybody gets it...
    I try, I try, but it ain't easy. I probably need to drink more.

I do remember one game at SF, maybe 3-4 years ago, where there was one loud, obnoxious guy a few rows ahead of us (we were on the sidelines not far off midfield that time) was yelling and berating the ref, but doing it in the ugliest way possible. I don't think that is what we want. I'd hate to be that guy for a bunch of other fans. That's why I want to be in Section 8 from now on. But, when I bring my not-as-crazy-as-me friends, they want to sit somewhere a little more peaceful. I brought two people to Naperville for the Rapids USOC match, and we sat in section 8 (I know, we sat; terrible!) because everybody behind us was sitting and enjoying their cheap seats. One of my friends got really into the cheering (especially the Fraser ones) but the other one was a little more mellow. I guess what I'm saying is that the whole stadium doesn't need to sing and cheer all the time, but anyone in Section 8 had better, and the rest of the place had better join in when they're told to. People will catch on eventually.

16. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I agree partially with the feeling about ticket price, but there are signs all over the rear of Section 8 instructing people what they are getting into.

There should be a mechanism somehow or somewhere to allow non-season ticket holding Section 8 regulars to buy tickets less than advertised. What that would be, I don't know, and it's difficult since we by and large save for BB1871 are not a card-carrying group that can be identified (which is a good thing). I don't know what the solution is.

What's more, ticket sales for the 4 sections designated as section 8 are not sold by ticketmaster, only by the fire office and the gameday ticket windows, and all are clearly marked. People know what they're getting into, they asked specifically for it. This isn't a case of ignorance, it's just laziness. And laziness in Section 8 can't be tolerated.

17. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Actually that's not true, last week I was able to draw S8 tickets from ticketmaster.com. It did however have instructions with seat listings sayin fans are to wear red, stand, chant and support team.

18. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Well, that's not supposed to be. Hmm.

19. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is there any way we could devise a system where Section 8 potential sitees have tryouts beforehand, or they have to talk to a panel of us and then sign an agreement before they can be awarded said seats. Make Section 8 like the baseball hall of fame... you have to be inducted by current members. But make it different too because we don´t take Yankees or their fans.

alternate option -- Section 8 regulars will be allowed to carry "suggestion sticks," also known as "caddle prods," in order to kindly suggest that people use their god-given voices to support their team.

if we accept jjayg (steve)´s proposition that going to Section 8 is like going to work, then it necessarily follows that people who do not work at an expected level of performance should be liquidated post haste.

all right, anyway, back to serious conversation....

20. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    This will never stop being funny.

21. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    damn skippy! Finally, somebody who gets it!

p.s. since it's the fire, I think a flamethrower is more apropos for enforcing the sections will.

22. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Chicago Fire X-5000 Crowd Exciter!

[​IMG]

A quick jolt of "pick me up" is perfect for those lethargic folks sitting in the "stands," leaving no permanent damage or distinguishing marks! Comes in both Red or White and a new third Light Blue variant!

23. FCBasel1893

FCBasel1893 New Member

May 7, 2003
    Basel, Switzerland
    You should ask if it is allowed to take a megaphone in, and declare someone who starts the songs with it (that person is called "capo" here in Europe). Oh and a lot of beer helps too ;) Some people just don't sing because they are too shy to open their mouth and shout (in front of their friends) like that.. once they have had ONE match of 100% singing though, they'll never want to stop.

24. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    We have a megaphone. It's not loud enough. Ambient noise is a huge problem at the stadium. Thanks for your suggestion though.

25. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    We need a better megaphone. The one we borrowed was ok, but it was small.

We have several "Capos" already, but I'm working on getting them megaphones, which I agree we need.

Actually I quite like that term, capo.