Chicago, why are you so quiet? [Section 8 stuff]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by HalaMadrid, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, due to budget constraints, we'll have to settle for Billy Baldwin

2. Jay,

Think hard about your next post. It will be nubmer 2000! Congratulations.

3. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    *gulp*

Chicago Fire+Section 8= Heaven on Earth!!

how was that?

4. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    well as number 2000 I think it was great but as nubmer 2000 it fell far short.

5. I think it is kicking.

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Insert Nextel *Beep*] You Suck A**hole! [/Insert Nextel *Beep*]

Done.

7. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Seperation is no good. Wherever Section 8 is, it must be together.

8. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    It was meant in the nicest possible way. As a member of that group and a sometimes section 8'er, I have no problem with it.
    The purpose is not to move the noise source further from the field; it is to increase the number of those participating and thus increase the overall quantity of noise. And if the "new" people at the front become as wild and crazy as the current ones, the overall effect on the field would be increased greatly.
    Deadweight is harsh; I prefer to think of them as "unilluminated." All they need is some encouragement and some direction, both of which are easier obtained being up front close to the leaders with a rousing chorus of loud voices behind them to back them up. Soon they too can graduate to "loudmouth" status and be replaced by other new recruits for training.

9. williamsbmwfan

williamsbmwfan New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Oak Park
    no robin frazier chants?

I was all pumped for a 15 minute serenade of Robin Frazier in the 2nd half, especially after a misplay led to one of dipsy's chances. I tried to start a "robin frazier, clap clap, clap clap clap" chant but only one other person joined in. :(

my group was on the right side a few rows to the right and above of the group that kept trying to start their own cheers so it was hard for us to hear and see the main group to know what was going on. and by the time a chant got started and people joined in, it ended. need drums.. without the drums its too easy to get off beat if you're not in the middle of it all. and the chants immediately end when the drums do outside of the core group.

but it looks like to me you're being too hard on yourselves.. you'll get it back once everyone gets used to the new surroundings.

30k attendance is beautiful, should greatly help the stadium bid process to get an even better own stadium or improve the SF lease terms with the city.

10. There is NO EXCUSE for the lack of noise and enthusiasm I personally witnessed at the rear of Section 8 on Saturday. Hell, even the upper deck above and behind us was getting into it. I went back there to try and motivate and all I got were blank stares and snide comments.

To clarify: Those of us who went back there said things like "These are the worst seats in the stadium, you must have sat here for a reason! Sing!" and "There are cheaper seats right there, so why did you sit here if youre not going to sing?" If these statements offended you, I strongly suggest those cheaper seats I mentioned. Those are pretty tame comments. You might say we were even being polite.

Spreading out the (loudmouths isn't quite right) dedicated supporters will do more harm than good. People directly next to loud groups were silent. Proximity has nothing to do with it, it's a simple lack of will to participate on these individuals' parts. Spreading us out would dilute our concentration and volume without inspiring very many people. In fact, we should inform the people that we know who actually sing to congregate a little tighter.

Regarding nests: we need one desperately. 3 would be even better. Since the new S8 is four sections wide (and is starting to move into the 2nd deck) have three leaders conducting the same songs spaced out in front of the crowd would do magic. Marcin, Mirek, Tomek, Andrew, whoever. That, I understand, is out of the question for this year but is worth consideration I think.

Finally, we need drums! Come back Coz, come back! And the bass drum needs to be centrally located and played consistently. I know is tiring, so get a group to trade on and off.

SING OR LEAVE!

PS - Holla Flynn! AmeriKans!

Sorry for the long post and mildly derogatory comments. I'm just a very emotional guy is all.

Baby!

11. pmurf

pmurf Member

Oct 16, 2001
    lacon illinois
    I say give it time and sing your heart out. I really think that just getting louder yourself is better than giving dirty looks at people. Sorry Jay:)
    After all, some people are sensitive and can't handle dirty looks, dirty words or dirty talk.
    I stood in the second row for game one at nsf and heard "why are we so quiet?" from people who would not sing themselves. WTF?
    On a brighter note, whats the best sec8 experience you have had? For me: 1) Morellia in Naperville last year, 2)any SF east game.

12. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    No offense taken Pat. FWIW, it is not humanly possible to get any louder then I already am. And I like to think of my looks as motivational rather then dirty. But we do what we can! ;)

Actually, to carry this point out a little farther. It's not even necessary to be that loud IF there are enough people singing. If 80 percent of the people in the section sang in a semi-loud voice it would be more then substantial. The fact is you have closer to 30 percent of the section singing at the top of their lungs. It's all about mass amounts of people and good coordination, not so much about individual volume.

13. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Pat, you going to Columbus? Or do I even have to ask :)

14. pmurf

pmurf Member

Oct 16, 2001
    lacon illinois
    Sadly no. I sent PW an email last year when I would be in South Dakota hunting so he could schedule around my trip.
    He must have forgot.
    I will be back for playoffs and I think I owe Marcin a plane ride to an away game.

15. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I remember being offered a ride once earlier this year which I couldn't make too! I would love to be able to use a rain check sometime in the future. :)

16. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Well, there IS the playoffs...and MLS Cup.

Actualyl, we relaly ought to start planning for MLS Cup before too long. I know it's early and we can't be sure yet we'll be there, but given the stadium size and distance early planning probably is needed.

17. pmurf

pmurf Member

Oct 16, 2001
    lacon illinois
    You are on! Now we just need to find a stewardess. Ladies?

18. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    i know personally i take it easy in the first half, because if i dont then i physically won't be able to sing in the second half...even at 17 i've already abused my voice enough that it's very easy for me to lose it.

but that's just my weak-ass excuse. i don't really have any meaningful insight regarding this issue, except to ask if you all think THIS IS A *#*#*#*#ING PICNIC

19. pmurf

pmurf Member

Oct 16, 2001
    lacon illinois
    On that note: why not change the name of Fire Fan tailgates?
    Anytime, anywhere Fire fans are gathered should be known as: "F***ing picnics".

20. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    "Where is pop corn!? Where is hot dog?!"

21. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I want to buy tickets this week. Miyuri and I have decided it's worthwhile to plan the trip and if by chance they don't make it, then it will just be a two day getaway. So any info on airline tickets for that weekend will be greatly appreciated. Perhaps we should start another thread for it? I just don't want to jinx anything. Anyway. Me and the Mrs. are going to be in LA that weekend for sure.

22. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I will be buying tickets this weekend too.

Try www.hotwire.com - they have r/t to LA for well under 200 bucks.

Really good deals if you leave Thursday and come back Monday.

Spirit Airlines has 204 r/t from O'Hare. 184 if you leave Sat night and come back Monday.

Southwest has 206.50 r/t from Midway leaving Friday returning Monday.

American has 238 r/t. Which is a pretty good deal, actually, and better choice of flights.

23. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I'm on that boat too!

24. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    This picture just makes me think that we can't give up. I think we're going to go through some growing pains, not the reverse.

Perhaps we need a self-designated leader in the middle of each section, every 5-10 rows up. Tag specific seats so the people in those seats know they have to turn around to 'conduct' the people behind them. It would be GREAT if they could stand on the seats, but they can't. Perhaps a milk crate would be a good boost.

At any rate, someone in the middle of the row a few rows up should just turn around for 30 seconds to encourage people to sing. Then go back to watching the game for a minute, and turn around again to keep people interested in singing.

Think of it like a chain. The person in the middle of row 10 has to focus on the leader in front. Once that person can tell what the song is they turn around and starts singing. Then they get the attention of the next mid-leader ten rows back. That leader focuses on the one below until they can figure out which chant we're on, then turns around and starts the song until the leader 10 rows back picks up on it.

Maybe ever 5 rows. That's only about 5 mini-leaders per section and sets up a line of communication from the bottom to the top.

25. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think some of the folks on here are being a little hard on Sec 8 and themselves.

This was only the second game home and it was already noticeably better and louder then the first.

I think the worst thing was the drum absence.
    People seemed to get out of rythm.

We really need the podiums, but hopefully that is being ironed out. It would have a major impact on participation if everyone could see

I also thought the noise level in the entire stadium was louder then last week.
    Be patient, Sec 8 at the new SF is hands down the best supporters section in the league and will only get better. I think it's position in the stadium is fine ( and trad for all the euro purists) , I was impressed that the 15 buck seats were clapping along and there were folks singing up there. This is going to continue if the attendence stays as good as it's been. The table rolls up there was great.
    There is more participation in and around sec 8 then there ever has been. I think the time in naperville has had a good influence on alot of people.The core section of sec 8 in that tiny stadium got well used to being loud for 90 min. Folks tend to exxagerate the great old times in the Old Soldier Field, it's only natural, but you've GOT to look back and rethink it a little bit- I'll bet Sec. 8 has doubled in size in the past couple years.
    The photos posted on here of the new Sec 8 look just awesome. ( sidenote la Maquina Roja banner is the SHlT!)
    The crowd at these past couple games have been loud. I made an effort a few times to watch how many people around the stadium were clapping along, and it's getting there.
    BUt don't stop yelling at people , encourage the more passive, all that, just don't fret, cuz each game the place is gonna rock even harder, I'm optimistic as hell about that! A few cowrkers of mine were there the other night for their first Fire match and to admittedly check out the new stadium. They sat in sec 113 or so, and were very impressed by the noise and especially the visual impact from section 8! They were going on and on about when I got in this morning. They said now they get why I am such a Fire nut! How cool is that?