Chicago Travel Tips

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Thomas Flannigan, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I could not in good conscience encourage DC fans to come to Chicago where they would root against the Fires of Illinois. By this time, I think anyone who is coming has made plans so post here if you have any questions about staying in Chicago. It will be cold here so bring warm clothing.
    Please post any questions you have here about lodging food, blues bars, shopping or whatever. I will be at work on Sunday morning before heading to the game with the 18 month old so you can call me if you have any last minute questions.
    I can't invite anyone to stay with us for a couple of reasons: We have two daughters, 2 months and 18 months, and they have been up much of the night the last 30 days. Plus my wife has a trial on Monday morning and will too busy to have house visitors in the days leading up to it. I don't think anyone is missing anything because we live 20 miles north of Soldier Field in suburbia and it is not at all convenient for people who like to party. If the national team ever plays here (unlikely, but you never know), I can persuade my wife to have people stay and save some money.

2. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    This is a great blues bar. It is in a nice neighborhood, about 5 miles northwest of Soldier Field. Take the Red Line to Fullerton and walk.

http://centerstage.net/music/clubs/kingston-mines.html

The Chicago Symphonu, just returned form its 6th tour of Japan, has a salute to Shaespeare on Saturday at 8. Short, light peices with a good conductor.

http://www.cso.org/pye_program_notes_2004_week6.taf

The Lyric Opera offers Siegfried on Sunday at 1, which conflicts with the game. You could probably go there and see the last act and get some one leaving at intermission to give you thir ticket.

3. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/

This site lists everything. You can find any kind of cuisine here, including Bulgarian. Mario's Cafe is VERY Bulgar and Hristo once roamed there. K mentioned the Berghoff in another thread, and it is a good German restaurant, very traditional, in the Loop 2 miles northwest of Soldier Field. Closed Sundays.
    The Art Insitute of Chicago has a fine Manet Exhibit which just opened, it is 3 minute walk from The Berghoff and 2 miles directly north of Soldier Field on Michigan Ave. Best collection of impressionism in the world, best collection of Japanese woodblock prints in the world; the list is endless.

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whatever you do, get a hot dog

Chicago style dogs - best in history

and of course there's the pizza, but everyone knows about the pizza

5. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    And unless you want to be seriously ridiculed, do NOT ask for ketchup on your hot dog.

6. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire