Chicago Storm Discussion V2.0 -- Rise Of The Weathermen

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by NotAbbott, Nov 3, 2004.

1. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Hey all--

Some of us will be congregating behind the goal tonight (7pm vs. Cleveland) wearing yellow ponchos. Feel free to join in. Ponchos are highly recommend, and if I can find 'em cheap enough before I head down to UIC, there may be extras.

The "dress code" may evolve over time. We'll see.

Later,
    COZ

2. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are the Weathermen going to have cheers about "stickin it to the man" and "toppling the bourgeoisie"?

3. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Will you guys go out after the game and smash windows and bomb office buildings? :)

4. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe tom skiling will come with his maps.

5. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago

That would have only happened if Kerry won. The Democrats way of celebrating is to smash grab and steal from others. :)

6. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Like what happened in Florida during the 2000 election... oh wait.

You are so fvcking stupid. Republicans only way of winning is by lies, wars, homophobia, and racism. I'll love watching as you piss your pants when Obama becomes president. I'm out BEEEEYYYYYYYAAAAATCH!

7. Lurker04

Lurker04 New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Things seemed kind of quiet in the Harrison End last night. Would be nice to get some people out to support this team.

8. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    It was a start. My gut is telling me that a handful of guys who look like they're having a lot of fun is the best way to get things rolling. Raincoats would help. The yellow ponchos (99 cents at Sportmart!) will do in pinch, though.

The scheduling has been rough, though. First game right after the Fire crashed and burned, second game after a pretty intense Election Day, and the third is the day after Thanksgiving.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that The Weatherman has some cultural and historical implications of which I am not aware. I can't know EVERY cultural reference. So, what then? The Rainmakers?

Later,
    COZ

9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The weathermen were radicals in the 60's, against the viet nam war, who bombed buildings.
    It sometimes is nice to have someone old on these boards to explain these obscure ancient references, isn't it?

10. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    But then again..if the old people would pass on nobody would remember that junk and it wouldn't be relavant!

Not sayin I want you to pass on John. Just being stupid.

11. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Come on Coz...
    They got their name from a Dylan tune, I thought for sure you would gotten it.
    They started out pretty cool as a direct action arm of the Students for a Democratic Society, but then ya add the drugs, the "free" sex, and radical revolutionary rantings from assorted psychos, wackos and FBI plants....and BOOM somebody gets hurt.

It's not a bad name atall though, and I was just being "humorous".
    The Rainmakers? Blech.
    Stick with your 1st choice.

12. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    It's a damned perfect name then. what's the problem :)

13. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    History is never irrelevant.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness…. when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it…. This is the condition of children and barbarians, in whom instinct has learned nothing from experience."

14. DeGregorus

DeGregorus Member

Oct 24, 1999
    Seis Esquinas
    If it were Rainmakers, you'd all have to dress in pinstripe suits, talk about how much business you brought to your firm, and file lawsuits against the other team :)

Yeah, I think yellow panchos & Weathermen is more cost efficient.

15. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Their most successful bombing venture occurred in Greenwich village when three of them blew themselves up assemblling a bomb meant for a dance party for conscripted sevice men in New Jersey.

16. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    'The name of the group derives from the Bob Dylan song "Subterranean Homesick Blues", which featured the lyrics, "You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows." '

17. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Oh, the dozens of bombing of public places, crippling Richard Elrod and having to stay underground for more than a decade on the run. Other than that, it sounds like a marvy way to live. :)

18. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I'm just saying that anything that gets Mihaljevic and Quigley "discussing" their ridiculously oversimplified and media-parroted views of politics as a purely either/or exercise -- which I think is the definition of the eighth circle of hell -- might need some rethinking. :)

Sorry, had to vent some pent-up electoral bile there.

<gratuitous self-deprecation>
    Besides, if it had anything to do with free sex, it stands to reason I wouldn't know about it.
    </gratuitous self-deprecation>

Later,
    COZ <-- never a big Dylan fan, too young to remember 'Nam

19. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Way to pick up on the whole 'joking' vibe there brah.

20. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Dylan is cool.

SATAN SATAN SATAN

21. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Coz, Just be a Dick, forget what that AsshoIe Mihalevic and that Pu$$y Quigley say......

[​IMG]

....Go with the name you like best.

22. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Quigs, I figured a hardcore dem. like you would know that they didn't cripple Elrod...Elrod tried to make a ridiculous flying tackle on some protester and crippled himself.

23. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Jeez - a guy seizes the opportunity to throw out a little pertinent Santayana and people bitch. What's this place coming to?

24. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Look. I just don't like that guys music. Sure he plays a mean guitar but does he EVER sing his own songs. Jeeze is right!