Rumor: Chicago Sting?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by antnee7898, Sep 14, 2015.

1. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's not MLS or Fire related but i was Wondering what you guys from Chicago think or if you know if this is even true or not. Competition? tmp_27663-Screenshot_2015-09-14-18-56-09-835577383.png

henryo and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  2. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is true I actually might consider switching alliances.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  3. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Not that it won't happen, but it's a publicity stunt*.

NASL is a bigger joke than Hauptman, and deserves your money even less.

*see also NY Cosmos and the Miami FC team announced after Beckham FC

harrylee773 and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klopas as Owner/Coach/TD/GM/President

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  5. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I'm sure whoever' stunning the club would take Klopas' winning percentage with the Fire....

milicz and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  6. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    Count me in. Maybe I can be a top 50 season ticket holder, like I was with fire.

7. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There's been internet chatter, but nothing substantial to date. I'll believe it when I see it.

As a 36 year old, my memories of the Sting as an outdoor, NASL team are faint.

- I remember that there was a team that represented Chicago and was good at soccering and seemed to have fun. That was very important to five year old me. It still is important to 36 year old me.
    - I remember them winning Soccer Bowl 1984.
    - I vaguely remember the one game I went to outdoors. I remember seeing Granitza, Nogueira, and Margetic.
    - I remember the picture of my aunt at the parade Jane Byrne held for the Sting when they won in 1980.
    - I remember the (too big for me when I got it) Sting t-shirt I had, and wonder what became of it even though it will never fit me again in the slightest. My dad had the same shirt, and wore it for decades after the Sting folded until it became very disreputable, more hole than t shirt.

That's about it. My emotional ties to the Sting as a club/institution/concept/what have you/etc. are limited by my relative youth and the march of time. Look to my elders for better insight.

However, my "do I really give a shit about this" line is clear: Lee Stern or his family being involved or giving a clear sign of approval.

8. kenosis

kenosis Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Crook County, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like competition. Makes both teams better usually. (Please don't bring up the Sox and the Cubs to show I'm full of crap like I normally am.)

xtomx, Jiggly_333, seamuslush and 2 others repped this.
  9. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Guillermo Rivera @FireConf
    Don't totally discount those anonymous NASL rumors folks. There is definitely something to them. #Sting

Guillermo Rivera ‏@FireConf This was not conjecture http://www.chicagonow.com/fire-confidential/2015/04/nasl-looking-to-expand-in-chicago-new-ownership-group-has-expressed-interest/… NASL in Chicago is close to reality. Interesting times..

Edited to add - Guillermo Rivera is a journalist that I trust, and shame on me for forgetting that he wrote about this back in April. Less skeptical that this could happen.

loonixxx repped this.
  10. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think another team might work. The wolves were able to do it when the hawks were bad

xtomx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #12 CMeszt, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    A better analogy is an underfunded CPS high school vs a skeezy Charter run by one of Rahm's college drinking buddies.

loonixxx, SixKick, seamuslush and 3 others repped this.
  12. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hope the sting do better attendance while for a couple of seasons so Andy will actually change.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  13. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming that

1. this actually happens
    2. the Sting's ownership group is even half-competent

then the Sting will become the small team for serious soccer geeks (think Chicago soccer version of 'Flight of the Conchords') while the Fire become the big annoying outdoor bar/daycare center for people who don't care about soccer but want a cheap spectacle or to see other teams' star players (think Chicago soccer version of that American Idol rip-off 'The Voice').

Either way, the Sting would seriously cut into the Fire's season ticket sales.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  14. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They can announce any team they want, but there are still no real stadium options unless they're putting some $$$ into some upgrades somewhere.... unless this major league operation is going to be playing on a 20 yard wide field at Lane Tech or something.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  15. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Depending on the setup of the organization, where they play, and price of season tickets, it might be a good option.

16. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heres the new nasl slogan...
    The nasl. Coming to a highschool near you.

17. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    as a 47 year old, my memories of the Sting are becoming ever more vivid as the Fire's last successes become so remote as to be virtually equivalent in distance from the present.

- I remember my dad taking me to my first ever soccer game in 1978
    - I remember making banners in my friends driveway in 1979, and thinking "There Arno Losers on the Sting" was the height of wit
    - I remember Granitza being unconsciuos on set pieces one year, converting DFKs like they were PKs
    - I remember running over an Andy Frain to storm the field at Comiskey after the Sting clinched their berth in Soccer Bowl 1980
    - I remember sold-out Chicago Stadium, and cursing Kai Haaskivi
    - I remember my brother having a yellow vuvuzela (we jusy called them horns back then) he hand-colored with a black sharpie to match the squad kit, and still having it as recently as a couple years ago

that's just the tip of the iceberg - my give a shit line would be broader (any Sterns involved, or Wilt, or any of a number of former Sting players or even former Fire players would probably be enough)

I'm in

RadioGonzo, loonixxx, xtomx and 5 others repped this.
  18. kenosis

kenosis Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Crook County, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At the minimum I'll bet the jersey would be cool looking, which is more than we can say for the Fire right now.

lethargytartare repped this.
  19. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only problem I see is the stadium. Soldier field is too big. The fire wouldnt be willing to share a stadium with their competitors. And im sure the ownership wouldnt be willing to dump cash into a new stadium.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  20. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was 18 when NASL outdoor soccer died and I was always pissed off that I lost my prime fan years (18 to 30). By the time the Fire started, I was already 32 and real life (job, place of my own with no roommates, serious gf, etc) had already long hit me. I did my damndest to make up for lost time over the last 17 years but the 2014/2015 off season was the last straw.

Again, assuming they did it right, I'd totally become a Sting fan again.

21. HeyFireGO

HeyFireGO Member+

May 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Would support if done right.

Chicago needs a soccer team.

Feffery, loonixxx, ratdog and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    For me, seeing this is a sad moment for me personally. The only team I'd ever known is the Chicago Fire. The Sting is the club you all had grown up with. Seeing you get your club back is amazing, especially if it actually works out. But knowing that my team, my Sting, will just sit there and rot is unbearable. You guys losing your team in its prime is sad, but having my first love shrivel up and become some twisted thing that somewhat resembles Smeagle right before my eyes is an absolute tragedy.

23. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    my high school field in 1985 was better than the Toyota Park pitch in 2014.

also, I wouldn't mind driving to Naperville again.

plus, if you like many of the current Fire players, you'll have a better chance of seeing them again in the NASL anyway

bunge and HeyFireGO repped this.
  24. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'd say similar things, except my high school football field is turf. All I know is that it's great for marching, but those little pellets always show up everywhere. Seriously, they made their way into the drums.

bunge repped this.