Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame thread

well that'd explain why the metroscum remained the same bunch mindless hacks they were last season.

hmmm... and hanging out with Jay would explain Clint's play, as well...

m

2. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    jamil v bease

it is interesting to me that people are jumping on this "beasley the diver" bandwagon lately. DaMarcus is a lightweight player with incredible speed who is fouled nearly every time he touches the ball and a defender can get to him. Much of the time he goes down, not because of the viciousness of the foul, but because his sheer pace makes it difficult for him to recover his balance when he's knocked off stride (Ralston's yellow card foul, for example, which had me calling for his head at the match, was much more innocuous when seen from TV). Additionally, a defender gains a significant advantage by knocking a player off stride, and one thing I've noticed about the officiating in this league is that our Refs will play the advantage rule in the most ridiculous of situations, allowing defenders to gain the actual advantage while the offensive player merely maintains possession. Under these circumstances it is advisable for a wise player to go to ground to make sure the ref "sees" the foul.

All that said, the cross Walker made to Donovan Saturday - you know, the one where Landon choked and didn't even get his shot on frame ;-) - was one of the most breathtaking pieces of physical skill I've ever seen. As has been noted already, the matchups in this game give it the potential to be one of the most compelling matches in MLS history.

I'd like to join everyone who's saying "may the best team win." I'd like to, but I can't, cuz no matter how we play Sunday, I want my side to destroy yours. So here's hoping your lads lose well on Sunday, and we all can have a drink together after.
    (Surely, after 2001, you'd all feel guilty sending us home empty handed... right?)

m

3. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would take the penalties?

As PKs drew nearer, I was wondering who Yallop was going to send out (my guess below).

Also, I was wondering if Yallop would go with Onstad for the PKs, or pull a 'Castel di Sangro' and put in Conway, who has PK experience.

Ekelund
    Dayak
    Agoos
    Mulrooney
    Donovan

Go Quakes

Tony

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: jamil v bease

I didn't say "dive," friend, I said "fall." And that's how it was taken. I've seen many occasions where he went down just because he was going so fast.

Hmmmm, seem to remember having a player like that several years ago.

5. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Re: Re: jamil v bease

...perhaps I came off more defensive and hostile than I intended, but I do think that most of the people who have stated or agreed with this point about Beasley are implying that there's something questionable or cheap about the calls he gets. Which bugs me, because nearly every match I'm amazed that the kid doesn't wind up out for the season.

6. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: jamil v bease

I think that DMB and Donovan both get accused of diving much more often than is warranted. Every offensive player takes an occasional flop, but I belive that both of these players at this point in their career do their best to fight through tackles and both suffer quite a few because of their speed.

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame thread

Oh, no, no, no, if you think I think Beasley dives. No way. I don't think there's anything questionable or cheap about any calls he gets. I'm a fan of Beasley. In fact, didn't he get a yellow for a foul in that last game? I seem to remember he did, and I'm thinking, Yeah, Beas, it's time you start fighting back.

I just thought it was a funny line. Didn't have anything ulterior in mind.

8. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    is it just me or is everyone and their mothers picking the fire to hand it to the quakes..? :(

9. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Re: Re: Re: Re: jamil v bease

They're hydroplanes, and that's what it looks like when they get tripped up.

10. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Regardless of posted lineups floating around, the actual Fire lineup is a 3-5-2.

------Razov Ralph
    -------Williams
    DMB Armas Marsch Whitfield
    ---Bocanegra Curtin Perez
    -------Hugh Jass

So Mulrooney and Ekelund will be dealing with Williams.

When Chicago goes into a shell, Lagos will have to step up offensively and create problems on Chicago's right side where they are not as strong defensively.

In transition, the Quakes will try to get Mullan in behind DMB to cause havok.

It's a difficult game to approach tactically because Chicago seems well suited to "half-court defense" yet you don't want to sit back and counter them because their strikers can score from anywhere around the box with only a little bit of seperation.

I think we'll see the Quakes defend aggressively starting at the midfield line and try to score in transition with Mullan, Donovan, and Walker/De Ro. Maybe Russell will even get the start on the big field over Lagos.

11. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let them say what they want, it will just make victory on Sunday that much sweeter! :)

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not picking the fire to rule. I think we match up quite well against them and it's going to be a dogfight. I think there's enough heart left in the Kardiac Kids to do it again. :)

13. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    actually, the Fire have played a pretty classic 4-4-2 for the last month or so, with a little Dutch total football thrown in -
    *******Razov - Ralph
    DMB - Armas - Marsch - Williams
    Perez - Boca - Curtin - Whitfield

William's recent efforts in the defensive half have garnered him the firm starting position at right mid. Like SJ, the lineups can deceive, because pretty much all the midfielders and strikers have free reign to roam the pitch, and often you will see Razov or Ralph out on the wing while Beasley and Williams, and even Marsch and Armas fill the middle. But make no mistake, Sarachan and the rest of the team consider this a 4-4-2 whose primary goal is to shut the opponent out while giving Beasley, Williams, Razov and Ralph the chore of creating chances. 3 shutouts later, I don't think it's likely we'll see major tactical changes in our side. Stats aside, I thik SJ has the best offense the Fire will have seen this year, at least when you're clicking, and probably the best defense as well. I think the same can be said for your side, and with both teams playing at the top of their form right now, I think any neutral fan would have to call the game a push. My red-tinged glasses, however, see that Ralph's ability to create goals from nothing, and Armas's ability to destroy midfield play give the Fire the sligth advantage that will translate into eventual victory. ;-)

m

14. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better get a new pair of rose colored glasses my friend, mine show the Quakes with a hard fought 2-1 victory. :D

15. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both my mother and I are picking the Quakes to win on Sunday!!

16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Chicago having (and will be playing in the final) played a 4-4-2 in the last month (at least the games that I have seen). Both teams appear to be in form and confident. Looking forward to a great game...

One other observation. Our attack is mainly down the flanks. Therefore, Armas is less of a factor than your outside players. I expect this to be midfield battle with few opportunities on goal...

17. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I take it as a decided point in our favour that even the quake fans are wearing red this week.

m

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yea, this is NOT how they've lined up in the playoffs.

Perez has been at a traditional left back and Whitfield has played a more traditional overlapping right back. Williams has played much more at right mid than at attcking central mid (unlike earlier in the year).

I don't know why they made the change (and don't know if they'll stick to it), but they have been in a classic 4-4-2 recently.

19. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    lol :)

20. lgsoccerchic66

lgsoccerchic66 New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Los Gatos

Well consider this...

How many of us, although in full support of the Quakes, had doubts that they could beat LA in the second leg, especially by the 4th aggregate goal for LA? I think most of us, but look what they did.

I even had doubts about the KC game, especially when KC scored first, and I'm positive I wasn't the only one, but look what they did.

Now if the majority of us are in doubt about the Chicago game, which I'm sure we are, let's see what they can do.

21. lgsoccerchic66

Nov 10, 2003
    Los Gatos

"they" in every paragraph being the Quakes.

22. lgsoccerchic66

Nov 10, 2003
    Los Gatos

I just read on the LA boards that the Quakes might be switching cities???!?

23. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    Re: Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame thread

Just wishful thinking from a Galaxative fan... Don't believe anything you read over there.

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame thread

Beat me to it!!:D

25. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

Funny....I've heard the same thing about the Galaxy, once Chivas announces they want the LA market. Hmmm, the Houston Galaxy...well, they do have the Astros and that NASA heritage down there.

I see on MLSNet.com in one of the columns that L.A. might not be moving their franchise but a movement is afoot to change the name. Did anyone else see the call for them to be the L.A. Greg Normans? I've heard tell that their exit from the playoffs after holding a 4-0 aggregate advantage was a bigger flop than any of Ruiz's this year.