NSR: CHICAGO Political Thread ***HIGHLY TOXIC - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK***

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by skinut, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    #51 Chris M., Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Dude is 70. He has been a racist, xenophobe, pussy grabbing asshole his whole life. If you think that was a charade, you just aren't interested in facts. I wish his business acumen would have been more of a focus since that is what he ran on. He sunk most of his businesses and was a ********ing joke in the business community by the early 90s. It was only his stupid ********ing reality show that saved his brand and his career. He hasn't built shit in years and now just licenses out his name. As for Clinton, she was far from my first choice, but reducing her career to "********ing a president" is beyond demeaning. Worst of all, the Russians control him like a puppet. He ain't changing a thing. He is in this for himself and only himself.

Joe in CO, loonixxx, bunge and 4 others repped this.
  2. danimal60914

danimal60914 Member

May 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Provisional ballot a "placebo"? Bullshyte.

I'm the Chief Deputy Clerk in Kankakee County. So, elections is what I spend a good deal of my time on.
    I can tell you that the vast majority of provisional ballots issued last week were for people who were mailed
    a ballot, and failed to surrender it at the polling place. Rather than not allow them to vote (which was the practice prescribed by statute) until a few years ago, they are given a provisional. We will count those ballots when we reach the day to do our final canvass of votes, November 22nd, presuming we don't receive their ballot in the mail.

I understand that may not fit in with the narrative, of a stolen election, but there it is.

In the interest of full disclosure, I work for a Republican office holder, and I'm a Republican Precinct Committeeman. Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I did not vote for President. I did not find any of the candidates qualified.

skinut and Gamecock14 repped this.
  3. danimal60914

danimal60914 Member

May 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'd love it. Close the schools and use them for polling places.

bunge and xtomx repped this.
  4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    On the East Coast, Schools are the polling places. Schools have the day off, but that is about it.

I am curious and you don't have to answer if it makes you uncomfortable. To what extent does "intended" voter fraud occur.

5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My voting place is the grade school on my street.

6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks for the information and I trust you do your job with integrity. I wish all county clerks did.

I don't care much for the phrase "fitting the narrative," but
    1. Clinton had more votes than Trump.
    2. There were more people disenfranchised than the margin of victory in many of the contested states.
    3. The Russian hacks and the FBI director's pronouncement (not to mention a 30 year hack job against Mrs. Clinton) had a lot to do with the election reaults.

Whether that adds up to a stolen or rigged election or not is debatable.

My bigger concern is that 60,000,000 people thought voting for a man with no qualifications and who is a misogynist racist meglomaniac asshat was somehow a good idea.

7. eiki

eiki Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I also feel that election day should be a national holiday, but at the same time and as danimal pointed out, how many weeks of early voting do we have in Illinois? Plus you can mail in your ballot. That seems like ample opportunity to exercise your right to vote, plus election day always seems like a shit-show with long lines and other issues that I think it's better to have things spread out instead of focused on one day.

I know other states try their damndest to make it hard for the poor or minorities to vote though, so I would be on board with sort of national benchmark for early voting and access to polls.

I listened to a Radiolab episode today that pointed out a law in India that requires a polling place within 2 km or so of all citizens for national elections, which leads to teams having to travel through mountains and jungles to allow remote villages to vote. Pretty neat, I thought.

8. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm sorry but that is such a ridiculous position. It isn't American Idol or some popularity contest. Your vote does not need to be earned. No matter what you think of the candidates, one of them will be governing you and affecting how you conduct your life. So pick the goddamn least bad option.

lethargytartare and xtomx repped this.
  9. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    An undecided voter or one leaning towards a candidate but is unsure probably wants more time than you or I to learn, listen and vote.

10. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    There is no "narrative of a stolen election". Please don't try and change the subject so as to deflect from facts and simplify a complicated argument into an easily dismissible sound bite. That's disengenuious.

There is ample evidence of the past decade of work dedicated to disenfranchise millions of people. This is clearly evident in many states even if it is not rampant in Illinois. Feel free to keep up the good work in here but you should not extrapolate your personal experiences to the rest of the country. There have been years of evidence contrary to your personal opinion and if you do work in elections the news should sicken you every time it shows up.

xtomx and Chris M. repped this.
  11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    In Michigan, Trump won by circa 11,000 votes. Also in Michigan, the total undervote (the number of people who voted for all other office downballot but didn't vote for any presidential candidate) was 90k.

A good candidate with a good campaign would have buried him under a tsunami of negative adds targeted at the rustbelt states (the clip from Letterman where he boasts about his suits being made in China, etc, etc) and driven GOP turnout under the floor. You put up a dessicated hack with her own "where did all that money come from issues" with no compelling message for anyone except yuppie/baby boomer feminists (the highest glass ceiling). All the rest was base-stroking identity politics that missed the real issue in those areas - better childcare is great but it's f*&k-all use if you're a laid off payroll clerk, in which case you'll have all the time in the world to do your own childcare.

All the stuff you're talking about is whining about the ref's real mistakes when you picked the wrong players witrh the wrong tactics and the wrong formation - and missed two one-ones with the goalkeeper.

Like nations, defeated political parties tend to go in one of two directions: "where did we screw up?" or "what bastards knifed us in the back?" Democrats disn't lose to a standard-issue Republican like Scott Walker, or a troubled genius like Richard Nixon, or even to a darkly plausible talker like Pat Buchanan. YOU LOST TO DONALD FREAKING TRUMP.

Own it and learn from it. Otherwise Trump will a) serve his full term, b) get re-elected and c) make Ivanka America's first female president.

ceezmad and nowherenova repped this.
  12. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    No, Hillary Clinton did. And some would argue that by proxy, minority brown skinned people as well as women, the economy and the environment did.

xtomx repped this.
  13. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I've been voting for 30 years without an ID. Please tell me about the rampant voting fraud in Illinois. Voter ID is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Or rather, it's a solution for a problem that does exist, but it's not the problem you think - it's the problem the GOP has with minorities and poor people voting.

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I did not say the election was "rigged" or stolen. I was answering a comment about it.

I do not disagree that the Democratic Party owns this failure, as do the American people who voted for Trump are/or failed to vote for the qualified candidate.

As for the rest, I think @bunge summed it up nicely.

bunge repped this.
  15. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Our first clues will be the company he keeps. His first appointee is Reince Priebus, GOP Chairman, a lifer. If he says the words, Christie, Guliani, Gingrich, Well know he is a lip service more of the same shyster.

Downloaf and eiki repped this.
  16. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said it was rampant. I just don't think it's too much to ask for a grown adult to have an ID. I just assumed everyone had one already.

17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If only the "undecided" voter bothered to learn and listen before voting.

18. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During their private White House meeting on Thursday, Mr. Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama’s term.

After meeting with Mr. Trump, the only person to be elected president without having held a government or military position, Mr. Obama realized the Republican needs more guidance. He plans to spend more time with his successor than presidents typically do, people familiar with the matter said.

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't mean to pick on you @sportscrazed2, but your comments highlight the exact problem with the current voter ID law arguments.

It is not only not "rampant," it statistically does not even exist.

It is a "solution" in search of a problem that does not happen.

There is no credible evidence of in person voter impersonation fraud.
    There have been 31 instances out of over 1,000,000,000 votes studied.
    Also, the current voter ID laws may not have even stopped those 31 instances.

Not to mention that voter impersonation is already illegal.

Please see 10 ILCS 5/Art. 29 ARTICLE 29. PROHIBITIONS AND PENALTIES

It makes voter impersonation a crime and, in many instances, a felony.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...le-incidents-out-of-one-billion-ballots-cast/

https://www.publicintegrity.org/201...er-id-laws-found-no-voter-impersonation-fraud

http://qctimes.com/news/state-and-r...cle_e6ed6dda-1279-11e2-b80b-0019bb2963f4.html

"Everyone" doesn't. If everyone had the "proper" ID, there would be no reason for the laws.

I work for low income seniors and people with disabilities. I meet people literally every week who have no ID and have virtually no means to obtain an ID, due to mobility issues, poverty and isolation.

Also, look at the rules about what constitutes "proper" ID.

So, essentially, there are three issues at stake:

1) There is virtually no voter impersonation fraud
    2) It is already illegal anyway
    3) Voter ID requirements do WAY WAY more harm than any good and they do not do any good.

Finally, we have this helpful comment as the real reason for voter ID laws, from the head of the Republican Party in Pennsylvania in 2012:

THAT, in a nutshell, is the problem.
    (by the way, it did not work in 2012-Romney still lost.)

loonixxx, Chris M., seamuslush and 5 others repped this.
  20. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get what you're saying it's just I've been carded for the most mundane shit like seeing sausage party. It never even occurred to me that people might have issues with having an id to vote. I mean in Indiana they need an ID to buy alcohol unless you look obviously over 40. Should they give everyone a free id? Yes they should. Is it nescessary to have an ID to vote? Statistics say otherwise. It an an unrealistic expectation for someone to prove their identity in order to vote? I'd say not. But, that doesn't have to be through the stupid ass bureaucratic and slow dmv. They could just release a voter registration app where you upload a selfie.

21. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Resignation before the mid-terms, after he repeatedly gets his ass handed to him six ways to Sunday. Because he's an incompetent fkucup.

Of course, he'll declare it's because he's accomplished all that he set out to do in only two years. "And I could have done more, if only I didn't have a Democratic Congress opposing me at every turn".

Or...crikey...maybe after the mid-terms.

Joe in CO, HerthaBerwyn and xtomx repped this.
  22. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because those who are aged, poor, isolated, immobile are...spending their time on their smartphones?

skinut and xtomx repped this.
  23. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How about a national holiday but only paid if you submit your voter receipt. How's that for incentive?

GHjelm, The Irish Rover and xtomx repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Once again, you are not the target demographic of these actions.
    Also, if "statistics say otherwise," then why do it?
    Buying alcohol is (like driving) a privilege and not a right. Voting should be an absolute right of citizenship.
    As for the voter registration app, well, I think that has been answered already, by @Martininho.

25. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it should and every tax paying citizen should be entitled to a free ID without waiting in line more than 5 mintes at the dmv. How about this for a genius idea. Make the dmv open from 7am to 8pm 6 days a week? And just because statistics say otherwise why do it? Because shouldn't voting for president be held up to the same standards as buying a bottle of Jack Daniels? I don't know man I just assumed most people voting are getting there by car and they need a liscense to drive there anyway. But, I don't live in Wisconsin and I only need to go to the dmv like once every 5 years to keep my liscense from expiring and I work night shifts so have no problem going sometime during operating hours

Downloaf repped this.