NSR: CHICAGO Political Thread ***HIGHLY TOXIC - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK***

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by skinut, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Before Jesse White came along, Ryan was corrrupt as hell and selling CDL's to the highest bidder eventually leading to that horrific accident where a family of 10 was killed by some guy who bought a CDL and never took the test and was thus unqualified. Additionally you couldn't even use a credit or bank card to pay for your license or registration and there was no waiting area, just a line that winded out into the snow/heat/whatever. Jesse vastly improved the wait times and efficiency of the Secretary of State experience implementing regular use of modern payment systems, not just cash, and installing those automatic kiosks so I haven't really looked into it and am completely unaware about what could/should be done? I just don't trust A.G. is all. Just sayin'...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opin...s-corruption-edit-1107-jm-20141106-story.html

xtomx repped this.
  2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, the Gianoulias run surprised me yesterday when I looked at the Illinois results (like you, I am no longer registered to vote in Illinois, but pay a bit of attention).

I agree about his lack of trustworthiness. He actually did some good things as Illinois Treasurer, though.

3. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    likewise genuinely curious what you liked about his term as treasurer

don't know much

xtomx repped this.
  4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He launched/improved a few "savings plans" like Bright Start and was the first to take action when Oppenheimer put the money into risky investments at the beginning of the 2008- recession.

He also started a college savings program for the children of veterans killed in action.

That's more than Judy Baar Topinka ever did.

Also, no sexual harassment scandals like Dan Rutherford the next Treasurer.

Not much, but... something?

5. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wonder who would win a Celebrity Death match between the following fight card if all were in their fighting prime...and obviously in claymation?

Fight 1-Judy Baar Topinka vs. Betty Loren Maltese

Fight 2- Jane Byrne vs. Rita Crundwell.

6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Loren-Maltese.
    Her ego alone would crush Baar Topinka. Loren-Maltese was a monster, according to anyone who worked with her. Her husband was a mobster.
    The "good people" of Cicero liked her, as I recall.

Byrne.
    Crundwell was a criminal fish in a small pond (Dixon). Byrne had the cajones to take on entirety of the Chicago City Counsel and, almost, win. Not to mention she moved into Cabrini Green.
    All Crundwell did was steal a shit ton of money and get caught. It is amazing that she stole almost $6,000,000 one year, when the entire budget of the town was about $9,000,000. That does take balls, but, come on, it was Dixon, IL.

Weird fact. Baar Topinka and Byrne died within four weeks of one another.

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  7. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** this ********ing country. Are you ********ing kidding me? Land of the free where a man can carry a gun to to the grocery store in plane view but, a woman can’t chose what to do with her own body? And now they’re lowering environmental standards? ******** the kids right? What a ********ing joke.

8. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am really worried about next year's mayoral race. It is going to be real ugly quick.

harrylee773 repped this.
  9. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    is Stacy Davis Gates still the presumed CTU candidate?

Brandon Johnson maybe if not

10. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gates is still mentioned as a possible candidate. As a CPS parent the last thing I want is a CTU leader as mayor. The only thing good I can say about the CTU is they are not as bad as the FOP.

Speaking of which the FOP president (John Catanzara) is running for mayor. The guy who was thrown off the police force (well, he resigned a day before he was going to get thrown off) because he was making false reports against superiors. He is a piece of work.

Lightfoot may end up getting reelected simply because in a field of objectionable candidates and non-entities, she is the least objectionable and has something of a personality

xtomx repped this.
  11. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5411 harrylee773, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    I’m all for a CTU candidate, they’re incredible and fight for their members in direct and indirect ways like a real union should. Super fortunate they were able to negotiate remote learning and mask regulations so that even after that scumbag Darren Bailey won his bullshit mask lawsuit, the teachers, staff and students of CPS were still protected.

Can’t believe Catanzara (speaking of scumbags - holy hell - HOFer right there) is still in the race but hopefully he’ll drop quick like most CPD candidates do (maybe Gerry McCarthy can give him some pointers).

Besides Buckner, who I’m still iffy on, the field otherwise does look like dogshit, which sucks because we currently have a dogshit mayor that should be easily beatable by anyone likeable with decent policy proposals. We’ll probably end up with another shitty mayor when all is said and done- it’s been all downhill since Harold Washington passed.

juicecrewallstar, Mac97 and bunge repped this.
  12. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
  13. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Jez, I miss Frank, and this is just one reason why.

bunge repped this.
  14. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy shit. He was predicting the future right there.

Mac97 and bunge repped this.
  15. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like the smartest man in a dumb contest
    If women want to do abortion = she should do it
    If person expects a doctor to not bankrupt themselves is too much to ask =put gun in mouth and squeeze
    If wanting to walk down the street and not get shot is too much to ask stop asking and start demanding. Yet nah we’re gonna ride this to the bottom. Happy 4th. Hope you don’t lose any fingers. Cause the only one you’ll get from Uncle Sam is the middle

Mac97 and bunge repped this.
  16. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Lotsa of fireworks going off on blocks around my house.
    The the usual fun of it is gone.
    It's just a bummer.

sportscrazed2 and xtomx repped this.
  17. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Fascism takes a toll on everyone.

Mac97 repped this.
  18. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    harrylee773 repped this.
  19. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Where the ******** do these ********ers come from? Can we institute a policy where people have to get a license to have a kid?

xtomx repped this.
  20. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Silence like a cancer grows.

21. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's clear we need to ban all doors, roofs, stairs, ladders and fire escapes. It's the only thing we can do...Oh and "harden" our parades by arming marching bands and color guards deploying kevlar flags. Amirite? Republican talking points in 3..2..1...

Mac97 and xtomx repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, they suggested "ballistic blankets" in schools, so kevlar flags seems "logical." [emoji848]

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  23. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Marching bands are used to twirling fake rifles, so I am sure that Republicans will simply say to give them AR-15s for self defense and maintain the stupid notion of good guys with guns are a deterrent. [emoji849]

Pennsylvania Dave and xtomx repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not even a deterrent. Stops!

WAYNE LAPIERRE: The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun.

25. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Because "good guys: never have mental health breakdowns and,.......wait for it.......become "bad guys".

Pennsylvania Dave and xtomx repped this.