Chicago, anyone???

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RSwenson, Nov 3, 2003.

1. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    OK, assuming (hoping, really... given our history with 2 goal leads this year) that we get by the Mutts and Chicago manages to squeeze by United;-), who is up for a little trip to the heartland???

rand

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    D'oh! Don't jinx us now Rand! :)

The Magpie

3. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    Where in Boston/ Cambridge would this game be shown?

4. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
  5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Exactly! Let's not jump the gun here.

That being said, "should" the Revolution advance the match most likely would be played in Chicago on Friday, November 14th at 8:30PM.

If this is the case then maybe the Midnihgt Riders can put together a viewing at The OverDraught in Cambridge? If that's the case it sure would be nice to get a good crowd there.

The Magpie

6. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Not counting our chickens... just planning ahead:

It would likely be tough to get enough people for a bus on a Friday... if this were any other New England team, it would be an accepted day out of work. Being the Revs, no one even knows they're in the playoffs, if they even know there's a team...

That aside, The OverDraught in Cambridge is a great alternative.

Riders - Keep us posted?

7. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unlike the sox, the Revs don't choke against NY.

8. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so the Fenway workers had to paint the World Series logo on the field before the end of the ALCS. Do you know why? Because if the Sox had pulled off the win in Game 7 of the ALCS, they would have opened the World Series at Fenway in less than 48 hours after Game 7. People seem to think that the Sox jumped the gun here, but in all reality, the logo painting had to be done in (hopeful) anticipation of an opening game there. And the reason they didn't paint it at Yankee Stadium so early is because there were still games going on there. Get real! JMMUSA8: for someone who has been complaining on other threads about the amount of Red Sox chat that goes on in Revs games, you have been doing a whole lot of anti-Red Sox yapping on here yourself. Give it up! Honestly, you seem to hate the Sox so much, I wonder if they denied you season tickets or overcharged you for a friggin Fenway frank! You obviously have some issues with the Sox, and that is your business. Leave it off the SOCCER boards because you are currently acting like a hypocrite in spite of yourself. Don't complain about the supposed Red Sox chatter that goes on, when a lot of your comments on here seem to be directed at the Sox. Get over it and concentrate on the Revs, which you claim is the priority. maybe you should talk more about them.
    Spazz

11. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miss your last Lamaze class, Spazz?

How apt a name.

12. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever his spazz tendencies, he's right about whose decision it was to put down the World Series logo. MLB told the Sox to do it. The Sox didn't want to, but when MLB speaks....

13. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give him that, but the second half of the single-paragraph post wasn't related to that and made a Shakespeare quote in our upcoming show (which I might plug on this board :D) Midsummer:

"Oh how fit a name to perish on my sword."

14. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's clear up one thing: I am a female. Now that we have that straight....:) And nor am I pregnant, so there was no Lamaze class to miss. Not sure I get that joke anyway. Some of you may have read other posts by me on here, and you may already know that my one intolerable is sports bashing, of any kind. People are free to follow whatever sport they like, but when this becomes a bashing baord for other sports, as I have seen very frequently here, then it gets annoying. People try to use the World Series logo thing as an excuse to bash the Sox, like they need any more bashing. This is a soccer board, and it should stay that way. To quote JMMUSA in a recent post, there is a time and a place for it (he was speaking about Sox chatting) and I say, this is not the place to sports bash either. That's it, I'm climbing off my soapbox now. And, I LIKE MY NAME!!!!!! :)
    Spazz

15. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Is this a thread about the potential game against Chicago?

16. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that come with a cute little red plastic derby bearing the letters RSF?

Anyway, while the Overdraught is great some of us may want to stay closer to home. Any interest in a Worcester or Springfield viewing? Unless some other huge sporting event is happening that night I would think that Smokey Bones in Springfield is an option.

17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you or don't you want people to support the Revs?

Let's get off this Red Sox thing once and for all. Look at it this way: Now it's the Revs turn for a playoff run. Wouldn't it be nice if we got a quarter of the attention and bandwagon jumping that he Sox got a couple of weeks ago, and that non-fans started following the Revs and, if not coming out Sunday, at least following them on TV and in the papers? It might be a bit much to ask for, but if we want non-fans to embrace our beloved team, how can we in good conscience trash the Sox (or B's, C's, Pats, etc.) if/when they fall short?

It's always a good thing when any of the local teams does well. My rule is that unless you have a direct connection to the city or team playing the Boston/New England team in the post-season, always support the locals. FWIW, I did actually hear someone say they were a "big St. Louis Rams fan from way back" when the Pats played them in the SB. How many years have they even been in Street Louie? Less than 10 is my guess... Anyone claiming that is either a liar, or follwed the Rams when they were in LA, or the team formerly known locally as "Big Red" because they had the same name as the baseball team that has the same level of "tradition" as the Sox.

As for jumping the gun, wouldn't it be nice to see the DC Thugs break a few legs and Chicago choke so we could have another home game? That series is in the same situation we are in, where it is theoretically possible for the lower team to win 3-0 or 2-0 and win on PKs, but not really all that likely.

Tom

18. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000

I'd be willing to do a bus!!!! To Chicago. Anyway to get 30 others?

19. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    the bus of the sky.... Southwest Airlines;-)

anyway, I have decided to hold off any discussion pending the outcome of this weekend's matches... but it sure would be fun to represent the Revs in NSF...

rand

20. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    OK... can I now feel comfortable bumping this back to the top of the pile;-)... got my plane tix and a place to crash (under a bridge in the rail yards or inside the "prehistoric man" exhibit at the Field Museum, I haven't decided;-)

anyone going to Chicago??? we need to find a nice area guarded by those wonderful NSF security men so that we don't get abused by those nasty Windy City hooligans;-)

Monty, you workin' on it???

rand

21. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rand,

Some of us have to work for a living ;) but it is fans like you that do the rest of us proud! Bang a bucket for me and enjoy the win..er, I mean wind, I wouldn't want to jinx anything :D

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am ... trying to get Peter's email right now.

23. debmcm

debmcm New Member

May 2, 2001
    Braintree, MA
    My husband and I are going to Chicago. What's the word on tickets? Are you guys getting a block together? We'd like to sit with other Rev fans if possible.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, here's the good word ...

Chicago's front office is giving Revs fans their own section (which right now appears to consist of three people!).

Anyone who's interested in tickets to the Eastern Conference Final, please email me at patfan1@yahoo.com and I will give you the details and the fax that you need to fill out and send in to the Fire. Please email me ASAP, and pass the word!

Monty

25. TheLimeChicken

Mar 27, 2001
    Dorchester, MA
    Had planned on driving out (as luck would have it, I've got this week off), though I may reconsider if it turns out to be a solo-trip. However, if anyone out there is also thinking of a road-trip let me know via PM or email and maybe you can hitch a ride with me (or vice-versa)