Chester is Major League - Ain't That A Kick? (Delco Daily Times 9/7 - Full link on Post 1)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Z010 Union, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it'll be right off I-95 (i believe they're already working on new on/off ramps nearby), and SEPTA's R2 wilmington line runs by a couple blocks away (with at least 1 stop within walking distance).

2. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and No

meh, we're 10 minutes by car from the city. The Place @ Auburn Hills is further from Detroit than this is from Philly.

The Cowboys stadium...is that near Dallas?

FFS.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if like Toronto FC, Philly MLS can get the city/state/feds to donate prime downtown land, then yes, Philly would build the stadium in the best place.

But here in reality, Chester isn't that bad.

4. ReneGoulet

ReneGoulet New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    How dare you mention that name

5. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm so beaten down by this stupid ass center city stadium. Ask West Philly and the western burbs if chester or the sports complex is more convenient. Ask the Phillies how their center city stadium went. If the Phillies don't have the clout, how is a 12 year old league going to have the clout?

The Sports Complex is convenient, because we have made it that way in our minds and it is where all our teams play - hopefully in 09 that will no longer be the case.

6. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Thanks bro, that helps a lot!

Now I can have a sigh of relief. My best friend moved to Philly in early June from Atlanta.

When I visit, I hope I will be there to see the team play. :D

Now the question is, how does MLS spread it's young talent around? Once the expansion teams come into the league, they are going to go through some tough, tough growing pains. They may be at the bottom of the league for a few years. A team game like Houston's doesn't grow overnight, it takes a lot of time to grow.

I just thought I would let you guys know that. Reality is going to be knocking on your teams door, and hopefully, you guys will do well.

7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we're philly sports fans ... we don't expect to do well, ever. :p

8. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    As suspected. :p

Still, it's one of the greatest sports town in the United States. If not ONE of the BEST.

The Philly Eagles fans are as legendary as the Boston Red Sox fans. Well maybe not as legendary, but you get my drift.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing, MLS is reportedly going to do is expand the amount of non-American (or Canadians) you can carry per team, thus allowing all MLS teams to expand their talent searches and spread the net a little further. That should help even expansion sides.

10. biersal

biersal Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Roxborough
    Club:
    --other--
    Just south of the Commodore Barry means what? Off of Jeffery Street? Closer to Highland Ave.?

I am guessing that unless the R2 creates a game-day-only stop that allows a direct walk down to the stadium us non-car owning people will be getting off at the Highland Ave. stop.

11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or, thanks to SP's sleuthing skills, one of the company's right next door to the site could be the shirt sponsor.

[​IMG]

somebody mock that up on an ajax-style sky/yellow kit, STAT!

12. ReneGoulet

ReneGoulet New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    The whole Yankees-Red Sox fan rivalry is SOOOO overblown by the American sports media. It's how Americans remind themselves of how great their proprietary sports are.

Nobody gave a SCHNIZZLEDIZZLE about the Red Sox fans until they were competitive again.

We've always been the most die-hard, angry, bleeding-heart fans. Never afraid to get pissed off and criticize, unlike that Texas team whose big-haired, acid wash jean wearin' fans politely clap but never question the team. No wonder you-know-who was elected Governor of Texas, and why PA was a blue state.

13. Juke Box Hero

Juke Box Hero New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Great news! I've been a Philly MLS wisher since league inception, hard to believe it might actually happen.

1)Does $120M get us a Dallas/Chi style open air stadium, or dare we hope for Euro style digs with that kind of money on that depressed land? Any inside info?

2) I'm an optimist about the US player pool. Having played D-1 ball, I think there's enough talent these days to fill out the ranks of young american prospects in MLS. Agreed that MLS should expand foriegn player limits league wide, b/c it helps keep the standard up & with expansion it won't encroach on overall # of American player opportunities. The young south american influx is really promising this year. Hopefully the trend feeds itself.

3) for non-Philly readers, this locale is about 10-12 minutes drive south of center city on I-95. Waaay closer than Frisco or Bridgeview. Sort of at the nexus of South Jersey, South Philly, & north Delaware.

14. .:Rabid

.:Rabid New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    You've been nothing but a class act towards us TFC fans, may I congrat you on behalf of all TFC fans up here. Finally, Philly has a team, and TFC now has someone else to share the title of greatest MLS fans.

You guys are gunna do a bang up job, I'm excited for you all. =)

15. ReneGoulet

ReneGoulet New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    WOW, that's super nice, but it ain't a done deal yet. Gotta convince the State to pony up the dough.

Nice sentiment though. Toronto is a beautiful city and the fans are awesome.

F Joe Carter, though.

16. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here, Effin, Here!

17. ReneGoulet

ReneGoulet New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Neither...somewhere near the known edge of the universe.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those that are spatially referenced would normally say that the property is west of the bridge.

19. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Given Philly's high amount of registered sex offenders, I hereby name this team:

THE CHESTER MOLESTERS!!!!

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Here we go again :(

21. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bridgeview is a 10 minute drive from downtown Chicago. The stadium is literally 200 yards outside city limits. Please don't associate us with the Dallas/Frisco distances.

22. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A trolling moderator.

Hmm.

...and PS - It's their parents fault for dressing them up so damn cute.

23. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Sorry, couldn't help it!

For the record, I'm thrilled it looks like you guys are getting a team. Great city, great soccer support!

24. CrazyUnionBox

CrazyUnionBox Member

Mar 14, 2007
    137 Seat 1
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn this rep system

25. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998