cherundolo denies schalke rumour

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by afgrijselijkheid, Oct 25, 2004.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
  2. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    good good very good!

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    You folks in Hannover like our little Stevie dont you :)

To be honest, I think the people of Hannover have been very good to/for him. He's always spoken well of the team, city and fans.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The report also calls him a "midfielder". I hope Bruce will get some ideas from reading it.

5. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Just to beat others to it---> Like what? Dropping Hejduk? :cool:

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    it also calls him a "US star". Such a big star that he didn't even get called in for a key set of qualifiers. When has he lined up at midfielder?

7. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    But it doesn't call him a "star for the USA national team" unless I missed it.

He is a star at Hannover... and is from the US... which makes him a "US star"

key set of qualifiers? Yes...
    but also a set that we should have been able to win with a b-team.

Brad Freidel wasn't called in ... and he is also a US star...

8. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    I would rather see him stay at Hannover, but read that quote carefully, he says he's not in talks. Doesn't mean he won't start tomorrow. What if he doesn't get the deal he wants?

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No, as a defensive midfielder. Stevie's basically a wing-back at Hanover. I'd move him to Armas/Zavagnin/Mastroeni central position if in a "diamond" and hope he could handle it defensively - he should - since I'm pretty sure he'd be an improvement offensively.

Another option is to play him as a right defensive mid in a 3-2-3-2 or 3-2-4-1 allignment.

PS. I'd sit Frankie for Robbie Russell.

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Maybe that signifys that the US has made it in the soccer world? Plenty of big national teams have "stars" that don't play that often for the Nats.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But if ba stays with a 4-4-2, SC would be a fine replacement for heydude. As would, I agree, RR.
    Schlake is a nice team, and it would tough to turn down a move if a decent offer actually arrived. Nothing against Hannover, but they don't have the ambition/resources to match schlake.
    Still, glad to see the denial. I'd hate to see him benched for the rest of the season for searching out a deal behind the back of club officials.

12. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell was he going to say though, "Oh yeah, I'm gone to Schalke04 next year, toodles"?

It 'aint even THanksgiving yet.

13. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Exactly, until I read in the press that he actually signed the contract extension I'm not sure that he really stays.
    If Schalke indeed is interested and Steven gets the impression that they want him as a starter I really don't see why he wouldn't join them.

As much as I love 96, if I was Steven I would go to Schalke.

14. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    His former manager, who signed him at Hannover 96, is now the manager at Schalke 04. It is not at all rare for a guy to follow his former manager to another club. That is why these rumors are getting some play.

His new manager at 96 also rates him highly, but the good thing about Schalke's interest is that they are not just "infatuated" with 'dolo. They know him very well, so they would not be likely to sign him only to lose interest and stick him on the bench in short order if he had one bad game.

And Schalke is a pretty big club with rabid fans. Gelsenkirchen is something else.

15. isolde

isolde Member

Feb 14, 2004
    nj
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree with you. Hannover is a interesting team to watch but if I was a player, I go to a bigger club with a long history in Budesliga like Schalke.

16. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Hey hey hey, Hannover 96 is older than Schalke and HAS a long history, in fact Hannover used to be much bigger than it is right now.
    It's not about the long history it's about the recent past that makes Schalke more interesting and bigger.