Chelsea vs Liverpool - EPL - 4th Oct [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Grinners89, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Only creating this thread now because I really dont want to talk about our Fiorentina match. :eek: Yet again, our mentality has let us down in the 1st half.

Reina
    Johnson - Carra - Agger - Aurelio
    Masch - Lucas
    Kuyt - Gerrard - Riera
    Torres​

Subs: Cav, Kyrgiakos, Insua, Spearing, Yossi, Babel, Voronin

Skrtel doesnt deserve a spot in the squad after his showing vs Fiorentina and Insua didnt look entirely comfortable. Aurelio and Agger in...please!

Also...id be almost pressed to say that without Masch, we will not win and we will concede at least one goal. With him, im confident that we can keep a clean sheet and beat them.

Chelsea obviously have Cech suspended...which, if he is on his game, would help. However, it has been a regular occurence that the opposition GK has been MOTM or had a big effect on the game.

With Chelsea lining up like this...

Hilario
    Bosingwa - Carvalho - Terry - A.Cole
    Ballack - Essien - Malouda
    Lampard
    Anelka - Drogba​

Which often turns into this throughout the match...​

Hilario
    Bosingwa - Carvalho - Terry - A.Cole
    Ballack - Essien
    Anelka - Lampard - Malouda
    Drogba​

There will, like usual, be a big reliance on Drogba and Lampard. Carra, Agger and Masch (if they all start) will be our most important players. If they all have a good performance, we can almost safely say that we would come away with at least one point.​

One way that Chelsea can be broken down is to put high pressure on their deep-midfield distributor (either Ballack or Essien). Neither of these players have excelled in this role and Wigan exposed Chelsea even when they had 11 men. If we can force Chelsea's defenders to play more directly to Drogba and force their full-backs to stay deeper to retain possession, we will be on our way to getting a good result. We cant back off Chelsea, like we did vs Tottenham this season and let their central defenders and full-backs have easy possession up to the half way line. The further away from goal that Drogba receives possession, obviously, the better for us.​

Lets just hope we turn up for this game :rolleyes:

2. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Chelsea vs Liverpool - EPL - 4th October [R]

In. We were stil in Merseysid in the 1st half while the boys from Firrenze clearly had their eye in from the first minute. All I ask of the players is that they at least turn up.

3. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Time for a decent showing against a quality opponent. We have lost all 3 games against decent teams this year.

4. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Turning the page

5. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What's the word on Ca$hley Cole? He was stretchered off last weekend after being down for quite awhile, right?

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast

Time to move on.

I'm in.

7. addicted2chelsea

Nov 11, 2007
    Australia

Apparently he is fine now , but i suspect Ancelotti to play Zhirkov for 45 and Ash for 45 so hes ready for Liverpool.

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In- Big game- as much as I hate to say it- it could be season defining couple of games ahead with the Manures as well. ;)

9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah - we have a tough stretch in october - @ chelski, @ sunderland, Manure, @ fulham.

Would love to win this going into the int'l break.

10. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    for me Cech hasn't been too great in the past year and a bit, but Hilario is definatley no better. I can see a Gerrard long-range shot being decisive here.

12. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    in...

sure hope masch can go... glenn will be looking to make a statement, i'm sure...

i'm almost to the point of saying we should start the k-man and dagger at CB... could they do any worse?

13. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Skrtel shouldn't start. After a shocker like he had yesterday, and with the CB pairing having not clicked so far this year, he needs to be sent a message.

The problem is that Carra is the vocal leader that organizes the defense and he and Kyrgiakos would be too slow to play together. Agger/Carra could work but Agger's been out of it so long that I would imagine he's pretty rusty.

I'm guessing it'll be Carra/Skrtel again this weekend and that again they'll give up a goal that they shouldn't.

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Confidence..That's what I like...:D

15. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can yer make that with potatoes? :)

16. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I really hate that I believe in this statement and know that its all true.

17. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's see what this team is made of. This is going to be very telling about our season in my opinion.

18. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For some still unaccountable reason, we have always been slow starters. In fact we are awfully slow starters, almost always conceding the first goal. I recall reading somewhere that if matches only lasted 45 minutes, we'd have finished 17th, maybe rev can help with this.

I hope having our arse thrashed and handed back to us in Florence will gee up some whose performances have been lethargic at best. It will also remind the manager that players are different and asking A simply to slot in and perform as well as B in a certain [key] position has resulted in us scrambling in more matches than is comfortable inn past and will continue to in the future.

19. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm hoping it lights a fire under them as well. We have to get rolling because these thrashings of small teams followed by losses against bigger teams is very troubling and doesn't exactly pain and encouraging picture. I have confidence we can get a result at Stanford Bridge, the ability is there. I'm just wondering if the mentality is as well because its been missing so far this season.

20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hindsight of course - but I wonder if Rafa made a tactical mistake in slotting in Aurelio next to Lucas instead of Gerrard, and having Yossi, Babel, Kuyt or Riera in the 3 behind torres.

As was evident - Fiorentina overran our midfield - had acres and acres of space.

EDIT - I think we need to roll the dice and get Agger into this game.

21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You and me both, although I think hindsight has little to with it. If one was really observant against Leeds, it was palpably clear Aureio does not simply press and harry the man on the ball as required of a central midfielder. Against a ball-playing team, suach as Fiorentina, it's the kiss of death. And, of course, as bad is/was the inability of teh centre-halves to bring the ball out of defence and find a team-mate with it.

One of Benitez's weaknesses, unfortunately, seems to be his expectation that players scan simply slot into certain positions without the team being serioualy weakened in some way. It was a tactical faux pas .

In a way, the hinding we got is exactly the wake-up call that we needed. I expect a massive reaction on Sunday.

22. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed. Aurelio slottled in the midfield was a huge mistake IMHO. Riera should've gotten the start. It was no secret that 'tina clogged the middle, and we needed a strong wing presence that never materialized.

That said, I think Rafa will learn from his mistake, and we'll see Riera back in the starting lineup with Yossi. Can't see Masch starting unless Rafa is not confident that Carr/Skrt can handle Dogba(sic) & Co.

The 10amCST start agrees with my Sat night (and Sun) sleeping/drinking schedule!!!

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Masch will 100% start if he is fit.

I think this is the lineup (save for that I think Skrt will start though I don't want him to for this game so he can clear his head):

-----------Reina------------
    Johnson--Carra-Agger--Aurelio
    -----Lucas----Masch--------
    Kuyt----Gerrard-------Riera/Benny
    ------Torres---------

Bench: Cav, Agger/skrt, Riera/Benny, Voronin, Babel, Kyriagkos, NGog.

24. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drop lucas for masch, put Gerrard in CM, with Kuyt in the hole, Benny on the right, and Riera on the left.

25. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubtful. Lucas has performed very well this year and played admirably in big games last year.

I think Rafa would rather sacrifice either Yossi/Riera on the right in order to move Gerrard up to the #10 spot that he's been playing. I'm guessing it's Riera who sits and then comes off the bench when Yossi runs himself ragged. I'd have no problem with that.