Chelsea versus Brazil

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by astar24, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astar24

astar24 New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    A friend brought this up not too long ago, they told me that Chelsea could beat the Brazilian national team. I actually got into an discussion about this but could not make my friend realize that Chelsea would get their buts handed to them.

My question is how many of you think that Chelsea could beat Brazilian NT.

Chelsea vs. Brazil NT - Who would win??

2. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    chelsea would get destroyed.

3. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Yeah, I tend to agree.

4. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It would be an interesting game to say the least. Especially since Chelsea doesn't have a single Brazilian player on it's roster. But I don't think Chelsea would get completely dismantled at all. They're a club that has some of the best players in the world, from Petr Cech to John Terry to Claude Makelele to Arjen Robben/Frank Lampard/Damien Duff to Hernan Crespo. Those are some of the best players in the world and not even all of them for that team (Cole, Essien, Gallas, Ferreir, etc.). Granted, sometiems it's tough not to overrate the Chelsea players - I honestly think many Chelsea players have very inflated price-tags because it's Chelsea doing the buying.

Not that I'm saying Brasil doesn't also boast the best players in the world... Roberto Carlos, Cicinho, Emerson, Ronaldinho, Adriano, Ronaldinho Gaucho, Kaka, Gilberto Silva and a slew of others. But it woud be closer than a blowout.

5. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Given what Ronaldinho did against Chelsea last year, it'd be interesting to see what he can do against them with a better supporting cast than Barcelona.

6. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    It depends what leg of the tie you are referring to. If he plays like he did in Barca, well then he'd be invisible. He was impressive in the 2nd leg, but I think the Barca system fits him better than Brazil's.

7. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    come on guys. a team that goes three straight games without a win against charlton, aston villa and everton is gonna have a chance against brazil? thats just funny. brazil would have toyed with those three teams.

8. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It is interesting - many critics of Ronaldinho Gaucho say that he often plays better for Barcelona than Brasil. And.... I tend to agree. What's more about the tie is that it woudl be a club, a pretty well oiled machine of some of the best footballers in the world that are used to playing around and for one another against a collection of players that simply aren't. Maybe that wouldn't be enough to make much of a difference, but the discipline and training of the club and those players being certain of their role, I would think, would help Chelsea in that time of a match.

9. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yup.

10. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    But I'm sure Juve would dominate Brazil, right Duck:rolleyes:

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Whereas Brazil has also lost games to less than glamorous opponents, especially when bored (which is what Chelsea was).
    The game would be a lot closer than people give Chelsea credit for. Given the state of Brazil's fullbacks, Chelsea's counteattack would do just fine. It would, in fact, be a similar game to the Chelsea - Barca ones. Only I'm not sure the Brazil supporting cast is really much better than the Barcelona one.

12. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Are we talking about the Brazil that went

0-0 vs Colombia,
    0-1 vs Ecuador,
    1-0 vs Peru,
    1-1 vs Uruguay?

Chelsea would have toyed with these 4 teams...

I mean, lucky that Brazil played these 4 teams over 6 months. I would love to see how Brazil would do if they play a game every week, or 55-60 games a year.

What's their chance of going 58-1-1?

13. FunfzuEins2001

FunfzuEins2001 New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Chelsea win. They would be too strong as a defensive unit. Brazil would be cut open like swiss cheese from the counter attacks of duff and robben, plus drogdba would power his way through that brazilian back line, jose would tactically outwit parrera. brazil would get makalaleeed

14. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on if Brazil have Roque "I suck" Junior, at CB.

15. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When would Chelsea have the ball? On the Kickoff after Brazil scored?

16. stevieg987

stevieg987 Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Tehy were actually gonna have this game but there was a scheduling conflict personally chlesea would win because they play together all year whil Brazil doesnt.

17. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    So I guess the key is - what would be the parameters for this match? Would it be a one off friendly or a tournament? I see Chelsea's advantage of being a club as something Brasil wouldn't be able to replicate just because of the difference in nature between club football and international football in general.

18. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Brazil are always underwhelming in their first match as a team. Because they have No idea who should start over whom.

19. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    Actually the lack of matches for a NT is why I'd think Chelsea would more likely beat Brazil than vise versa. But if Brazil played every week, and had the teamwork at top notch, I'd call them favorites over Chelsea.

Yeah, that sums it up pretty much.

20. essie_majedi

essie_majedi New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    So. Cal
    CHELSEA BRAZIL

goalkeeper > goalkepeer

defence > defence

midfield = midfield

strickers < strickers

very equal game

21. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I still think Chelsea would take this one, the respective players have played together much longer and became much tighter. The Chelsea defence can hold the Brazilian offence at hold much better than the Brazilian defence can hold off the Chelsea attack.

22. stevieg987

stevieg987 Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Chelseas Mmidfield would be destroyed by Ronaldinho, Kaka, Ze Roberto, Juninho or Julio Baptista

The brazilians team attack cant be stopped by any defense so I doubt they could be touched by chelsea.

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Yea but not all those would play together on the same pitch at the same time, plus, I'm sure you know about Ronalidnho's reoccuring ineffectiveness when it comes to the Brazilian NT. Every Chelsea midfielder is better than Baptista as well.

Chelsea is an overall better club. When you're talking about Brazil, notice that you're all talking about their offense only, that doesn't win games.

24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :confused: So.........Argentina wasn't winning 3-0 at half time of their game last year?
    Brazil are really good, but clearly their attack can be stopped, and has been.

25. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Didn't Brazil play Sevilla not to long ago and the game ended up in a tie? Even though it was a friendly Sevilla's defense was able to contain Brazil. What makes you think Chelsea can't do the same?