Chelsea v ManU - Black Armbands

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by djwalker, Aug 23, 2002.

1. djwalker

djwalker BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why were the players and referees wearing black armbands? I only saw the last two minutes and missed whatever explanation they might have given.

2. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Two girls were killed in the UK-rememberence for them, moment's silence before all matches this weekend in England (and I believe, the UK overall).

3. Dynamo73

Dynamo73 New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Cleveland
    I was in Ireland when the 2 girls disappeared (we stayed in hotels and all tv news was English -- BBC and Sky) and it was a bigger story there than anything here since JonBenet. Both girls were wearing Beckham Man. U. jerseys when they were last seen, and Beckham even made a public appeal for their safe return. Their bodies were found in woods outside their town on Sunday.

4. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Everything was spot on there, except the arrests were made and the bodys were found on Saturday.

5. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    i wondered about that...the radio broadcast brought up a moment of silence, and i heard it, but they didn't really elaborate on what it was all about. how sad.

6. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. djwalker

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the story, and even saw on one newscast that Alex Ferguson had made an appeal as well.

Good for the EPL. Nice gesture.

I'm not pro-death penalty, but at times like this I waver. Bastards.

Thanks for the info.

8. Martin Henry

Martin Henry New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    Manchester
    No I'm not for the death penalty either and in a case like this I think we need to remember that we can be civilised unlike the perpetrators of this crime and we don't want to descend to the level of these animals...

It'd be so easy to just say hang 'em, but I would just like them to be locked up for life where they can never do anything like this again...

It's actually quite rare in The UK to have a child kidnapped but it doesn't detract from the seriousness of this tragic incident...

9. djwalker

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I didn't even want Tim McVeigh to be executed and I'm from Oklahoma (suburban Oklahoma City). If ever a man needed a long time alone to learn to accept responsibility for his crimes, it was him.

Is the death penalty even an option in the UK? Oklahoma has been on an execution spree the last few years, and I can't help but believe that certainly some innocents have been killed in the name of the citizens of this state. I'm not sure how morally responsible that makes me, but I don't like it.

10. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Re: Re: Chelsea v ManU - Black Armbands

So we should pay for the rest of his life to to keep him alive?

11. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002

No.

Toned down over the years.
    Used to be for murder; then murder of a police officer, then got rid of in the mid-60's.

But some remained until relatively recently.
    Such as, arson in Her Majesty's ship yard (burning ships and stuff I should imagine). High treason (killing the monarch, not sure if it went further down the royal lines, probably did).
    And piracy (with violence), not really a common occurence round these parts anymore.

Officially got rid of a couple of years ago.
    http://www.ask.co.uk/answer.asp?qCa...3F1&aj_rank=3&aj_score=0.65&Ask.x=22&Ask.y=13

12. djwalker

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Chelsea v ManU - Black Armbands

That's the price of living in a civilized society.

It is also a legitimate expenditure of tax revenues, unlike most of what our money is spent on.

13. bocatuna

bocatuna New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    England
    My God, a clever Man. U. fan. These, Gentleman, are indeed strange days.

14. JoeBloggs

JoeBloggs New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Life in the funny lane for you.

15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Me, I’m just a scuzzy scouse. And the father of two girls.
    I’d just disembowel them and then hang them. Only thing worse than a child murderer is the bleeding hearts that’ll have us provide for them and help them write their best selling book, serialized in the Sun of course.