Chelsea v. Arsenal Prematch thread...

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Ian Lozada, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gunners visit Stamford Bridge this Sunday (4.05 start local time).

Chelsea sit 5th in the table, having beaten Charlton on the opening day of the season, but then drawing at home against Man Utd as well as on the road to Southampton.

2. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    http://www.arsenal.com/sportsappcontroller.jsp?command=forwardOnly&nextPage=mdltreatment_table

Bergie's calf looks to keep him out.

http://www.chelseafc.com/the_club/the_squad/injuries.shtml

Chelsea's injury list is dodgy as they don't want to let their opposition plan accordingly. However, they do have a full list of "celebrity" fans on their web site. I don't know what's funnier, that Busta Rhymes is a fan or that they list him as being part of Led Zepplin!

The game against manu was fun to watch, especially as Zenden started to come into his own. Their midfield looked strong in general and I expect this to be a tough match.

3. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Let's have a Kanu hat trick.

4. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    If he could play like that even 25% of the time...

5. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really beginning to seem like it was a lifetime ago.

And it certainly doesn't seem like the same player.

Kanu did that? No. Really? Can't be.

I think it all went sour when he changed the coifure. Those corn rows or whatever they're called are just silly.

6. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Depends what kind of Chelsea team turn up, as usual their inconsistency will hurt them over the season. We have the players to beat them, but I'll be happy with a draw from a visit to the Bridge.

7. BazoDee!

BazoDee! New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    B'klyn
    3 pts.

What he said. Except for that last part about a draw. We should have gotten three points from Upton Park. We gave up a goal to a scrub who didn't score a single goal last season? Until Chelsea prove that they are consistent enough to be legitimate contenders, they don't deserve to share any points with us. Just my humble opinion.

The 2001-02 Arsenal:
    Third League and Cup Double
    Most consecutive wins: 13
    Most consecutive away wins: 8 (Premiership record)
    Unbeaten away record
    Scored in every match: 38 (Premiership record)
    Arsene Wenger: Has the prettiest wife
    Henry: Most goals: 24, most shots on target
    Pires: Most assists: 15 (Premiership record - and his season ended in March? Sick!)
    Ljungberg: Has Red hair
    Bergkamp: Most God-like goal (vs. Newcastle...ask Dabizas!)
    Lee Dixon: Rock
    Tony Adams: Legend.

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: 3 pts.

I hear you, but Stamford Bridge is not the easiest place to go and get a result, just like Upton Park. As long as we are picking up wins at places like St. Andrews, The Hawthorns and St. Marys we'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, assuming our home form is up to scratch.

9. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    With all due respect Michaec, I have to go with BazoDee! on this one. [begin Soprano]F*** Chelsea. Who the f*** are they? [end Soprano] They haven't won the league since black and white and their star striker begged to be sold to Barca. We can't have the attitude that a draw, even away, is a decent result. Ok, if we are talking about a Champs League game then yeah, a draw on the road is ok. But in the Premiership, where we didn't lose on the road ONCE last year? No, I expect a win against Chelsea.

10. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll be looking for the win too, but if you expect a win, your living in cloud cukkoo land. Chelsea are never easy to beat at home, you sound like you expect us to win every game. I'm just being realistic in saying that at some away grounds, it more unlikely that we'll win and on these grounds a draw is a better result than a loss.

11. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I'm with Michaec here. Inconsistency is Chelsea's problem in terms of not winning the league. However, that usually materializes versus the smaller teams not the big guns. The reason why Manure won the league so many times is they beat all the "little" teams. Arsenal got draws or losses instead. Manure has consistently lost to top teams, whereas Arsenal tend to do well against top teams. Chelsea are more like Arsenal and follow up a victory vs. Manure with a loss to Bolton or Southampton. Arsenal will have a rough go of it at the Bridge. I expect the team to put on a great effort (better than either of the last two games) and hope that is enough to pull three points out. But I would be happy with a point!

Jimmy Floyd is always good for at least one goal vs. Arsenal and the way Keown played last week, Jimmy could have a field day!

12. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccernet is saying that Parlour (leg), Cygan (groin) and Jeffers (ankle) should all be close to full fitness.

13. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    I believe most posters have hit the nail on the head.....it really depends on what Chelsea show up. There is such a disparity in their preformances that they are either great or crap. They dont seem to achieve middle ground. This match, maybe because its away at Stanford Bridge, has draw written all over it. I watched the West Ham replay and was so glad to know the score or I'd have blown an artery. Need a better game than that or we may be stuck in the same situation...digging out of a hole.

15. rcjsd

rcjsd New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Norwalk, CT
    I watched that West Ham game live and I couldn't believe I blew the $15.95... at least until the last 20 minutes.

Chelsea-Man U was an entertaining game - hopefully we get as good a match on Sunday.

I think right now you have to hope they continue to maintain that road unbeaten streak. I still can't believe they went the entire season last year without losing on the road - that's got to be one of the most amazing accomplishments in the history of team sports, it's just unheard of.

Sure it'd be nice to see a win, but it's a derby match and Chelsea will be fired up, their fans will be fired up, and it's still early. Arsenal are the better team, but there's plenty of opportunity to pick up away wins later on.

Winning the league is about consistency and avoiding letdowns against crap teams (like Leeds 0-1 Sunderland on Wednesday... terrible loss for them.)

-JD

16. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming Patrick & Dennis are out, here's my projected lineup:

Seaman
    Lauren, Keown (or Upson), Campbell, Cole
    Parlour, Gilberto, Edu
    Kanu
    Wiltord, Henry.

17. ljunberg19

ljunberg19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Annapolis
    Although Chealsea have been hit and miss recently, we need to remember that it will be rare that a team is not prepared or is not in top form while playing the gunners this year. We were lucky to get a tie out of lowly west ham last week.

Arsenal dates are circled on every teams calander, looking to beat the champs and also to end that undefeated streak. There will be no easy games this year, but that's the price you pay for being champion.

18. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will everyone quit it with the "lowly" West Ham bit? The Hammers were 7th last year, and with a better start, would be playing UEFA Cup games this year. They're a quality side, better than the Chelseas of the world.

19. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pusing it a bit there Ian. West Ham better then Chelsea? I don't think so. While I wouldn't call them "lowly", 7th is about the best West Ham can expect, if they make that again this year they'll be very happy.

20. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When pigs fly.

Jeffers? Full fitness?

A contradiction in terms, surely?

21. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    In every preseason article and table, Ive seen West Ham as a better team than Chelsea. Soccernet.com had the Hammers as a preseason 8 and Chelsea 11. Arsenalamerica.com picked Ham to be 7 again while Chelsea moved to 8. Ham is not lowly especially if its served in a box or with a fox or with bagels and lox.(Im sorry I had to do that)

22. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Anyone here go to the icons site? This is pretty much what Bergie said on his web-diary. I'd love to quote him but their tos says they'll sue everyone who lifts anything from their site for 1000lbs a pop.

23. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Not to jump on the lowly-WH-bandwagon, but if you saw the Newcastle match you'd be picking them for relegation.

24. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Feeling Confident

Well, its about time we had a win against you lot, you've won most of 'em of late and scrapped a few of 'em an all. So, I reckon 2-1 to the Chelsea :)

Whats your line up looking like for the game?

I reckon we'll be looking something like this -

Carlo

Melchiot Desailly Gallas Le Sox

De Lucas Lumpy Petit Zenden

Eidur Jimmy

All the best, and may the best team win.

25. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Monkey, do you think Gudjohnsen will start? Hes not been in the lineup for the first few and Ive wondered what was wrong. Ranieri makes some strange decisions and I thought he was just being himself.