Chelsea roster announced

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by subbuteo, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Does that mean you don't recognize Wade "Hero of Section 333-for-a-Day" Barrett's goal against Hottentots? :D

2. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i can't imagine that nelsen wouldn't be back with blackburn by next week, they start training then.

man, crespo is probably the worst player on that list--what a ********in roster.

3. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    dear god, don't let young Freddy go ANYWHERE NEAR Robert Huth.

4. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    I will believe the roster when the string of injuries, players in need of a rest, etc does not hit. Put the big names on the roster, sell the tickets, do not bring the players advertised. That is par for the course in these games.

5. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    yeah, i mean, Crespo ONLY starts for Argentina's NT... dude scored 2 goals in a champions league final...

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I've actually heard of 5 whole guys on that team, they must be pretty good.

7. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    well even 1/2 or a 1/3 of that roster would be fine to see. that is just an amazing collection of players. i had no idea they owned crespo's contract, is he really part of their going forward plan?

8. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

My grandmother wouldn't go near Huth.

...and she's 6-4 250!

9. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Well they have named 24 players, which is pretty much their entire 1st team squad. Are you saying they will bring their youth team instead? Their entire roster is big names so it doesn't matter who they play, you will be getting your money's worth.

10. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Seems that way, at least for the immediate future.

Talks with Essien are still in the mix as well, although that old "Essien isn't for sale" (aka We know you got mroe money fork it over) thing keeps popping up.

I've got to add, regardless of the outcome, the guys HAVE to be stoked about this match. Will Olsen and Tino miss it?

11. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    tell your gran to get it together.. Huth's only 6-2!

12. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    They also own Juan Sebastian Veron's contract although he is still on loan with Inter and is looking to make the move permanent. Only Real Madrid can rival Chelsea for the amount of money on the roster either paid in transfer fees or in salary. When you have a multi-billionaire (Chelsea) or an entire city (Madrid) providing cash you can meet the price of any player any where in the world.

13. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gold Cup Final is on July 24th. Assuming we even make it that far, they'd still have four days.

14. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    guess it depends on the billionaire--anschutz ain't paying no big bucks and the guy who owns Oslo Lyn is much wealthier than the chelsea guy. though i do understand that the chelsea guy has an amazing amount of his wealth in a "liquid" form.
    :D

15. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I think that the "final" score should be determined according to the following formula:

Weighted Score = (avg salary of opponent / avg salary of your team) * goals.

Based on this, I'm betting for a "final" score of around 30 DC - Chelsea 0.1.

Cheers,
    Tim

16. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, well, they ain't MLS quality, that's for sure.

Wait a minute. :eek: :D

I like TEConnor's math.

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Do they have anyone on roster that's payed less than all United players and FO? :D

18. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

You completely missed my Dazed & COnfused reference.
    *sigh* :D

19. entropy

entropy Member

Aug 31, 2000
    People's Republic of Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Bring 'em on...Chelsea's gonna wilt in this heat and humidity.

20. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i believe that essien is a midfielder he doesn't seem a natural replacement for crespo

21. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They might have a hard time coaxing the players out of the FEDEX locker rooms. They're like the Ritz-Carlton compared to RFK.

22. CPRoyale

CPRoyale New Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Adams Morgan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple of things:

Hats off to CFC for bringing their best to play in the USA

Chelsea just finished their friendly against Wycombe Wanderers today.

5 to 1 for the Blues...

So the good news is they can be scored on. Apparently the game was played attractively by both teams. I hope DCU and CFC play a similar style game, but I wouldn't blame United for hunkering down if Chelsea goes up big.

On the "Which billionaire is richer?" debate, I think Roman takes the cake. Absolutely in liquid assets, but I suspect also in total wealth. Roman is number 21 in the world according to FORBES, at $13.3B

23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The bigger they are, the harder they fall, one and all." Jimmy Cliff

24. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If I were you I'd believe it. They toured with their A-list squad last summer as well, with the only substitutions to the original squad list coming after Robben was hacked down in one of the first matches and Kezman (oh how little we know you) was sent off after coming to Robben's defense.

Unlike certain other clubs *cough*ManYoo*cough* who brought their reserves over to tour last year. Copletely disrespectful, imo.

25. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I just hope that if we lose, and I use "if" very loosely... that it's a decent loss... Not a 5-0 loss like we suffered against Pumas.