Chelsea bid £32m for Gerrard

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by BridgeMonkee, Jul 4, 2005.

1. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  2. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yup, just read it. looks like this could be the 'Big One'.

Do you think he'd mind playing at centre-forward?:D

3. leftwing

leftwing Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Lake Bluff, Il
    He should stay with Liverpool. Supported them since he was young, 100,000 pounds a week and they're defending European champs. Am I missing something here? Plus, I really don't want to give Liverpool that kind of money for a player who's pretty similar to one we already have (Lampard--although of course Frank's better). Better off just paying up for Essien and Gilardino and call it a day. Ooops, forgot SWP, who really need more than Gerard anyway. Let's have him too.

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

No, we are the pimps.

5. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Damn. Liverpool just don't need that much cash to spend on tricksy Spaniards. SWP, Essien, or Ballack all would have been more effective buys.

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I agree. Screw Pool, let them keep him.

7. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    yeah i think we need more like a DM than someone who runs all over the pitch. I would have stuck with parker, coz essien is surely not that proven yet, and hence the lyon president is mad to ask for too much. id take joaquin over SWP, but then again, the betis president seems urged to make the full monetary gain of his buy out(40 mil pounds).

8. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I agree aswell, this is a ridiculous amount of money, even for Gerrard. ALTHOUGH, if this guarantees that Owen will then come aswell, then i have to agree with the move.

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Bad idea. For 10M - sure, great. For 32 freaking million? Hell no.

10. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I don't know that much about Michael Owen, but if he's the type of player that would only be happy at the club if Gerrard was there, he may not be the type Mourinho's looking for. Jose wants players who want to win, and players who require other things to be happy may not fit into his plans well at all.

11. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    SWP is better, tougher, more consistent and more competitive than Joaquin, which is not to say that Joaquin does not have some great skills. But the key difference is SWP wants and will be happy to be in London, whereas Joaquin will always have one foot heading towards Madrid or home to mama. It will be another Crespo or Veron with us having to pay some spanish team to let him play after a year or two. Buy English is what I aw/occasionaly say.

Still have mixed emotions on the Gerrard deal but I can live with Gerrard replacing Tiago if I have to I guess.

12. Kontra

Kontra New Member

May 27, 2004
    Porto
    Here ya go Liverpool, take 44 million euros and go make a team.

13. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Stem cell technology would cost a bit more money than that.

14. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ah, come on nice aren't you always saying that money doesn't matter to us?
    Money aside, Gerrard is the best out there. The best out there.

Why are you folks so afraid of hubcaps with money?
    I really don't worry about the opposition like that. Manure with money, arse with money or the hubcaps with money really irrelevant to us - we are the best and we want to add a couple more players to our squad, simple as.

bidfailed :(
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4651003.stm

15. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    I was surprised Chelsea bid £32M when most articles listed the asking price as 30. Why bid 2M over I thought. In today's Rumour Mill, it said 'Pool want £35M. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it would make Chelsea's initial bid seem more logical (eg. SWP: 20M asking, 18M bid).

So, is £35M the magic number?

16. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    And here you have the winner of the most ironic post of the day.

17. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I still would rather spend 20 mil or so on Ballack, that would leave 15 million for CFC to buy a clubhouse and luxery box for its trusted Big Soccer Transfer Advisors and Consultants.

I have become less worried about Rafa and money though, probably end up with has beens Raul and Figo and some young oversea never will adjusts.

18. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :D :D

must spread it all around, before I give. . .

Anyways.

All things equal. Regardless of money.
    We are filthy rich and arrogant after all. Oh the burden of being mega-wealthy. . .
    Who is the best? Who do we want?
    Ballack?
    Viera?
    Nedved?
    Keane?
    Essien?
    Alonso?
    etc, etc.

For me it is easy: Gerrard.

Chelsea to win the WC 2006 :D

btw - its only ray parlour - you gotta do something about that Pires - its freaking me out - bloody disturbing that.

19. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    It's now official! "Liverpool have indicated that Steven Gerrard would like to leave the club."

He's going to Real Madrid.

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    You hope he's going to Real. Whether he is or isn't remains to be seen.

21. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    yeah i agree that joaquin has his heart elsewhere, but i still insist that he's a more well-rounded winger, something chelsea is looking for to provide the needed crosses? Well SWP is great too, real fast down the flanks, so it'll be good to have him as well, since his heart would be grounded for sure. As for gerrad, of course he would be acceptable if u compared him to tiago - he's a portugese joke - no offence, pun intended. Essien, im really not sure, 1 he plays for a poorer league no? 2 first he wants blues, then confirms devil admiration, another obi mikel? anyway i just hope jose gets the right players, he's made a handful of bad transfer judgement.

22. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    He should. :eek:

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I won't be devastated to see him go to Real, to be honest, and Real tend to be a bit cannier in their large purchases than we have proven to be. We'll see how this goes.

24. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

He's just come out and said he has too much respect for the club and the fans to get into a slanging match...

...I wonder though if he's got too much respect to sign for another PL side :rolleyes:

As an aside, if RM do sign him, and they can get Woodgate fit, they'll have 4 players in the England squad, which must be a record for a foreign club