Cheesesteaks visit Beantown, 7/27/2002, pre, post, etc. [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by nsa, Jul 26, 2002.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All y'all, remember that this is a 6 PM start so that the kiddies can watch the post-game movie and still get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Oh, and there's a soccer game, too.
    Too bad. I wanted to see Pichon in action. Well, there's still Heather Mitts. ;)

Sorry, back to soccer. Whatever happens to the Breakers playoff chances, I do not want to see Philly clinch the playoffs on our turf. Go Breakers! Get 3 points.

Other action that will interest Boston, the CyberSushi are fighting for their playoff lives, too, against the Power-less. Hotlanta hosts the Cowardly Blue Lions. And the Breakers could know their chances of catching the 'dum before kicking off in Boston since their match with SandyEggo is the PAX-TV MLS-conflict match-of-the-week.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  3. Poirot

Poirot New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    USA
    Go CHARGE!!!

Scoreless at the half

4. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    You've got the Triangle of Death - who would've thunk Allie Kemp would have tied it up?

From the fouls committed vs. the shots taken, it seems that you should have won the game. We were very fortunate, I feel, to get a tie. You're out of the playoffs, of course, so at least we can razz youse about that :p :)

If you had Gulbrandsen in your lineup for any length of time, maybe it would be you guys and not the Beat or Freedom who would be smack dab in the playoff fight. Was this her first game in forever and a day this year?

As a Charge fan, we need to fix the breakdowns in concentration and remember that a game is 90 minutes, not 84 or 89. This was the fifth time this year that Moore was denied a clean sheet because of a late goal. Do you realize she could have had 9 shutouts by now and not just 4?

That has to be fixed and let this be the last time for something like this. It was nervewracking with no TV and a gametracker on the WOOSA site which never did reveal the lineups of either team.

Paul

5. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The Breakers have a LIVE update on their site- and they provided the starting line ups- future reference note.

In all due respect- the Breakers should have won this game 4-1 at least- the shots in the 1st half that didn't make their way to the back of the net was grrrrrr-avating.. and this should have been the score at halftime.

I hope that the fans around the league will see what happened- not a 6th place team "coming back" to tie the 1st place team, but a team in 6th place that played their hearts out- and then sat and watched "Cats and Dogs" with the fans on the field after the game was over......... the Breakers played far better than it wil likely appear on paper- and I truly hope that others around the league realize this as being true- not Breakers fans optimistic talk.

I do have to say that explosion from the Philly players after they scored was immense to say the least.. wow!

6. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add up the distance missed wide left and right on the breakaways and it wouldn't total a yard. Plus Lilly's crossbar. Another game that the Breakers should have won. :(

Ducar says she owes Kemp a dinner. :)

Nice contingent of disCharge fans in attendance, both local and travelers. I had a pleasant chat with ChargeFan and others.

7. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    ??

Paul

8. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Quite a shout went up, and bodies too! Almost like fireworks :) ... everyone of them..coaches, trainers, too :)

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  10. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    Someone needs to tell Ms. Young that a backpass cannot be picked up by the keeper. If a person is going to criticize about a play at least learn the LAWS and know the rules.

11. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    Although the Breakers are no longer in the playoff picture, I must say I have enjoyed my two years of season tickets. The Breakers have played an exciting brand of soccer and this year were only one goal (7 or 8 times) away from having a different outcome.

This game was wonderful to watch despite the outcome. When Allie finally scored the uproar from the fans was as much taking pride in the fact that the home record remained unblemished as it was a cheer for Allie getting her first goal.

I know that people of Big Soccer have brought up the difference between women's and men's soccer but I can say that being a fan of both, the entertainment value that I have derived at watching the Breakers was well worth the price of my seats. I hope the league survives to continue to bring us the best bang for the buck.

12. Bman

Bman Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Beverly, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well spoken. I have to agree with every point here. There have been a number of classy goals scored by the Breakers again this season. Not making the playoffs though is still a major bummer.

13. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Soccerfan20

Soccerfan20 New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    About time

It's a shame the Breakers are out of the play-offs. We can always say that is a team that could have been in first. . . .but the point is that they are not there. Losing by one goal is disheartening and a shame, but it's still a loss. Sorry about my frustration.

Enough ranting. Congratulations to Allie Kemp! For someone that has worked her butt off for two years and always been a second half sub, it's nice to see her put one in the goal. I predict that she could be for the Breakers what Mac was during the 99 world cup: the super sub that you can always count on to change the pace of the game when people are getting tired.

15. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States