Chattanooga FC

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by El Conductor, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Chattanooga FC drew 0-0 at home to the MD Bobcats last night, continuing their lackluster run of form since their Legends Cup final loss against Detroit City. This was the first league match since the throwdown vs. the Stars at the beginning of the month, so Brian Bement and Markus Naglestad were both unavailable due to disciplinary reasons. In the extended bye period, they played away games against NPSL sides North Alabama and Georgia Revolution. Despite those both being wins, they weren’t particularly impressive, although the academy kids saw significant time in these games, which gives a bit of an idea how they approached these games, tactically.

The game last night wasn’t boring but it certainly wasn’t an offensive tour de force on either side. Along with CFC’s two main strikers being unavailable, Brent Jones, who scored a beautiful team goal to even up the game against the Stars went down in the first 15 minutes with what looked to be a concerning ankle or knee injury. Bobcats also noted to Protagonist Soccer that their primary scoring threats have been injured since the Legends Cup. Finley Stadium: reaper of forwards.

So, not a great showing for the home team and it’s not really clear how to fix it.

If there was good news for last night’s unseasonably cold snoozefest, it was that CFC significantly outdrew both the Red Wolves and the Lookouts:

(CRW’s attendance was 1,700 and the Lookouts’ 2,500)

The latter being the surprising one, given that it’s Memorial Day weekend.

Next weekend, the Blues host New Amsterdam FC.

2. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Kyle Carr and Ian McGrath have both gone out of contract and they won’t be renewed for Fall 2021:

Sad, given that these two paired up for CFC’s first ever professional goal, 18 months ago, in Oakland. I really hope they land somewhere quickly and they will be sorely missed.

Backup/emergency signing keeper Nick Nelson was also let go.

Needless to say, though, it was a very frustrating spring season: they leaped out of the blocks, scoring 7 goals in the first two games and secured a Legends Cup final berth, only to score 6 goals for the rest of the season and win 2 more matches.

Something was really off with this team - the defense always was suspect and the midfield never seemed to put things together well and obviously they couldn’t score. Not really what you want to see given the talent there.

Not totally sure how much “reloading” we will see in the off-season, given that most domestic talent would be in the middle of a contract in USL, but we’ll see. They definitely need something to replace McGrath, but they’re currently a squad without much identity, so I couldn’t tell you what that may be.

We may start seeing an answer soon, however! Tonight, they play a friendly against NPSL club Appalachian FC. Welcome to Finley, Squatchie. Bring a poncho, it’s going to be wet.

Saturday sees their first Independent Cup match against Atletico Atlanta, of UPSL, at Finley.

3. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Turns out, Squatchie didn’t need an umbrella after all, and it was a perfect night for soccer.

In a tale of two halves, CFC topped Appalachian FC 3-2.

Chattanooga initially went down 2-0 off of (shocker) defensive lapses on set pieces, but Markus Nagelstad scored his first of the night to make the score 1-2 at halftime. There were chances missed, but they certainly weren’t bossing Appalachian FC around or anything.

One neat thing was that we wound up playing all three academy contract kids in this game: Ricardo Bahena started and banged a shot off of the top crossbar.

During halftime, a double rainbow appeared over the east end of the stadium, and apparently that was good omen, rather than bad (the supporters were calling Appalachian’s GK a “leprechaun” due to his green jersey) and CFC came out in the second half on a much stronger footing.

The second academy contract player was subbed in for the 2nd half: Michael Barrueta replace Alec Redington in goal - and I’m not going to lie, putting an 18 year old in goal made me nervous, but it wound up being unfounded.

Nagelstad scored another beauty off of a pass from Cameron Woodfin, then himself assisted on a goal by Felipe Oliveira. Good night for Nagelstad, to say the least.

The last of the academy kids, Angel Hurtado, was subbed in at some point during the half, as well.

Then, near the end of regulation, Appalachian FC managed to get a one on one with the keeper and Barrueta made a wonderful diving save having come out to break down the angles of the attacker. It had to feel pretty great to hear the cheer from the crowd and the supporters chanting his name. All in all pretty awesome for him.

Not a huge crowd (I don’t remember them announcing the numbers - certainly less than 2,000, I’d say), but for a Wednesday, in the offseason, on a night that was supposed to have thunderstorms just after kickoff, it was a decent and noisy turnout.

4. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
  5. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    (I am pretty thrilled with this announcement, personally)