Charlton - Man U. 13 Sept [r]

Discussion in 'Charlton Athletic' started by RobtheAggie, Sep 12, 2003.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be a great one. I hope the Addicks that played Wolverhampton show up and not the one who played Man City. A few notes about the game.

Richard Rufus and Gary Rowett are out injured and Mark Fish is suspended. That leaves the back a little thin.

According to this: http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fbl_eng_pr_ita_manutd&prov=afp&type=lgns expectto see Di Canio getting some playing time.

Permission has been granted for Charlton to sell all the seats in the Away section. There had been a limit set due to problems at previous Man U matches.

Paul Scholes (hernia) Kleberson (dislocated shoulder), Nicky Butt (ankle), Rio Ferdinand (kidney infection) Wes Brown (Achilles), and John O’Shea (knee ligaments) are out for the match.

Here is a match preview:
    http://www.charlton-athletic.co.uk/news/latest_news.jsp?fileRef=news.200309113413

Charlton has never beaten Man U at the Premeriship Level. I think this is a gerat oppourtunity to have it occur.

With Howard the probalble starter in goal, this match will get lots of posts here on Bigsoccer. Mabye the obsevers will not see Charlton as a backwater team, but as a good club, with a solid group of players that can play.

2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    And to think Curbs blamed Euell for the first goal because he didn't come off the line after the free kick which would have caused United to have three men offside. That wasn't the problem. Why did they put anyone on the posts for a free kick? You never do that. It keeps the attackers away from the goal because they'd be offside. You only put men on the posts on corner kicks. This was an error by management, not Euell.

However, Euell really screwed up on the second yellow. He shouldn't have gone in like that.

Finally, I've watched the highlights and Van Nistelrooy looked well offside on the second goal when he received the pass from the head flick. Watch the highlights on Charlton's website tonight to see for yourself.

5. sandro710

sandro710 Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Windber, PA
    I completely agree although Euell's first yellow was harsh.

I was a little disappointed with Charlton's performance. Man Utd were off their game and looked ready to be taken but Charlton didn't seem ready to make the effort.