Charlton Athletic v. Liverpool FC [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by RedKnight, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    yellow card for somebody on charlton.

substitution for charlton

liverpool free kick but jar, but no...

and charlton clears. we are running out of time... maybe one minute left.

lisbie is subbed... he has had the best game of his career. standing ovation for him.

GOD DAMNIT

shot off the post by kewell!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO

2. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    OO KEWELL HIT THE POST

CMON BOYS HOLY CRAP

3. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    "super kevin lisbie"

And its over. 3-2 charlton.

damn.

4. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    *#*#*#*# its over

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    BUGGER...!!!

6. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    sloppy defending by liverpool, we were weak for a while.

but all in all a decent game. i like the idea that we constantly attacked, but if this all-out attack is taking its toll on our defense... then i don't know.

hats off to lisbie, had a great game and desereved his motm award.

how will this affect us in the standings?

7. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Who in the hell is Kevin Lisbie...?

8. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    jeeze. lisbie just had to have an outstanding game against us.

next week's match against arsenal is even more important because of this loss. hopefully we can come back with a good draw or mebbe a win at highbury.

9. Gabbage

Gabbage New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Adversely. Six points behind Arsenal and seventh in the standings--behind Birmingham, Southhampton, and Man City.

10. Gabbage

Gabbage New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Philadelphia
    When is the last time a player scored a hat trick against Liverpool?

11. fatboy slim-fast

fatboy slim-fast New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Jersey/NYC
    we need the spurs to beat man city, its 0-0 at the half.

12. Dudek, Biscan, Finnan and Riise were all pretty mediocre today. You can survive one--maybe even two--having a bad match, but not all four. That was the difference.

I was pretty disappointed in Diouf, for the first time this year, as well. Two or three bad passes in our own half, and pretty spotty service into the box when he attacked. Oh, and he was invisible in the second half, except for a dissent that got him carded.

Everyone else looked just fine to me—Gerrard was steady, Kewell was excellent, Smicer got the goal he’s deserved for a long while, and Owen and Heskey did what’s expected of them.

But the defense let us down, and Lisbie made the most of it.

Three points squandered.

----

13. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't think it does. The first goal was a poor clearance from Hyypia, an individual error that had no relation to our attacking approach, the second goal we had every player back but no one cleared. Only the third one could count as one on the break but the finish was from 30 yards out, so again you can't really tie it down to just being stretched at the back.

Entertaining game though. Cracker.

14. Boris the Tonk

Boris the Tonk New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    York, UK
    I guess that sometimes you have to doff your cap and say 'well done' to Charlton (if that's not too patronising).

I'm more annoyed than angry - listening to the commentary on BBC 5Live it sounded like Liverpool were going to score every time they attacked in the last 10 mins (and when Kewell hit the post the commentator - Motson - said it was such a fierce shot that the ball rebounded to the edge of the box). Poor day at the office for the back 5 who have to really raise their game for the Arsenal match. If Lisbie can cause havok running with the ball then what will Henry do? And Everton had a stroll in the park as well....

15. browfish

browfish New Member

Yes, I would have to agree. I know I wasn't the only one yelling at my TV. It seemed our back line were sometimes jogging back to defend against Charlton's counter attacks, and leaving them (esp. Lisbie) with way too much room. A few too many sloppy passes as well. Having said that, it certainly wasn't a boring match, just frustrating. Kewell really was spiffy, and mighty unlucky to hit the post at the end. Lisbie had something to prove to the Charlton fans, and he accomplished that - motm well deserved. It bothers me though, that we lost to the Addicks the last time we played them (2-0)...grrrrr!

16. Snackbar

Snackbar New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Alachua, FL
    Disappointing loss. Diouf had a bad game, and contrary to what everyone else is saying, Gerrard didn't look too hot either. He point blank gave the ball away a couple of times. I expect better from him, but I guess a bad day for Gerrard is still better than most.

Murphy looks to be on his way back, Kewell was awesome, just wish he could have finished there at the end. Dudek's mistake obviously cost us big. The Arsenal game looms large now..........

17. GH on the match . . .

Dear Liverpool supporter,

Sometimes in football you get bizarre results and I can't believe we have lost this game. Credit to Charlton, they believed they could do it, but it's very harsh on us. We did not deserve to lose. We started well in the first half and were in control but schoolboy errors and mistakes cost us.

We did well in the second half and created enough chances to win the game. I was expecting a third goal from Liverpool and I'm sure Charlton were as well. I think they would have been happy with a 2-2 draw. We have to blame ourselves. It is down to us that we lost.

I'm not going to blame any individuals. We are all to blame for this defeat, including the manager. We win together and we lose together. Our attacking performance was good but our problems were in defence. We lost the game in the second part of the first half when we started giving the ball away. I told the lads at half time that it was the first time they had let themselves down this season. As I said, we were much better in the second half, but we shot ourselves in the foot.

I like our attacking play and I think you will all agree that we produced some wonderful passing moves. There are lots of positives to take from the game but the negatives were in defence.

Harry was very good. He is settling in very well and can show pieces of magic which can bring goals for us. His pass for Vladi's goal was excellent and he almost scored following great skill at the end.

We now have a big game against Arsenal to look forward to next weekend.

Regards,

Gerard Houllier
    Liverpool Manager

----

18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The highlights of the match will be on the Charlton website by tuseday afternoon. It will be about 10-15 minutes worth and free. For those who did not see the match, it is a chance to see the major points.

Lisbe is a 24 year old Jamican who has recieved a few caps for the Jamiacan National Team. He has played well of late, on goal at Aston Villa last week, a goal in the Carking Cup match midweek and the three against Liverpool.

Charlton usually wins at least one game a season against the big clubs of the premiership. I did not expect a victory against Liverpool though.

Kiely, the GK was back up to Shay Given for Ireland and has played well this year.

19. dah_sab

dah_sab New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Houllier won't pick on individual players but I will.

Finnan challenged Lisbie fairly close to midfield just before Lisbie scored the winner. Not exactly a brilliant move by Finnan, taking himself out of the play 50 yards from goal with no cover behind him, in an away game with his team drawing and less than ten minutes to go.

This one mistake didn't, on the whole, lose the game for Liverpool but you have to expect more intelligent play from Finnan. Hell, my own local (crappy) league team made the same mistakes several times Sunday (we lost 6-2.) To come home and see Finnan do the same was infuriating.

20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Sorry snacks, I can't see it that way. Many times during a match you'll see defenders head the ball out if they think they're under pressure, or even if they can't see who's behind them. Corners often come from simple rebounds.
    But when the corner is taken, there's a whole team in front of the goalie watch the game of ping pong. To his credit he blocked one shot, just got a bad rebound (Not for Lisbie) Yes, he probably should have kept it in but I don't feel the goal was entirely his fault.

6 - 2 ! I remember those days. Couple of pints and pub food helped us rehash the game afterwards.

21. Snackbar

Snackbar New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Alachua, FL
    It was just a corner that didn't need to be taken, he was NOT under pressure, and he wastefully let it out after touching it. On that very corner, they score. I have to disagree with your disagreeing. Jersey has been on good form this year, and I expect more from him is all. I don't think we should drop him, sell him, put in Patrice Luzi or anything like that. I'm just pointing out that his wastefulness did cost us a goal. I didn't say he single-handedly lost it for us. The entire team collectively lost.

It's ok though, we did put two in, we have re-learned how to score now. Let's just move it forward........

22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I have to disagree with your disagreeing to my disagreeing and I hope you don't disagree to My dis....
    Never mind, we march on, hopefully to score some more.

My comments 'might' have been a little defensive being a goalie and all...!

23. Snackbar

Snackbar New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Alachua, FL
    LOL!

I don't disagree with that, er...oh, well, I lost track..........Hey, we're on the same team!

GO You Reds!!!! Beat Arsenal