Charlie Davies: Hammarby vs. Djurgården 04/20

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Captain Splarg, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see a thread on this, but Davies just scored to put Hammarby up 2-1 in the 2nd half.

64th minute now Hammarby 2-1 Djurgården

2. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also had one of the worst goal celebrations/dances that I have ever seen in my life.

3. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was just about to post this :)

4. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    anyone have a stream?

5. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, Captain, you have to provide a description after this! Or a video link! :p

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-1 Hammarby now.

7. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you have to pay about $11 per game, but you can watch Allsvenskan games with amazing quality streaming at www.canalplus.se

I think it steams at either 1.1 or 1.2Mb/sec

8. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final: Hammarby 3-1 Djurgården.

Davies played quite well I thought. Smart on the ball and took his goal very well.

9. mattygp

mattygp New Member

May 6, 2006
    Highlights of the entire game including the goal are up: http://watchsocceronline.blogspot.com/

He took his goal very well. Nice to see him continue to do well. I really hope he makes a transfer to a bigger league.

10. red_man

red_man Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Wow, that goalkeeper is about as mobile as a lamp post. Sweden seems to have goalkeeping quality that's even lower than MLS quality (which seems really poor this year to me for some reason). Still a pretty sweet goal by Charlie though.

11. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Pace, decisiveness, finish.

12. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Nice step over to create space for the shot there

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, 'cause MLS is renowned for suckie goalies :cool:

14. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    there's a couple of pretty terrible keepers in MLS right now

so long as thornton is starting... MLS won't have much room to talk about their keeping depth... maybe girth though

15. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its odd though. The way the USA produces quality goalkeepers, you'd think that would be one of MLS's stronger points.

16. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice goal from Davies. The defending wasn't the best, but who cares. It was still a quality move to create space, a nice burst of pace and a precise finish.

Brad Friedel, Tim Howard, Kasey Keller, Marcus Hahnemann, Brad Guzan. All of these guys ply their trade or have played the majority of their careers in Europe.

Aside from those guys, the U.S. doesn't have a wealth of international level talent in goal. Matt Reis, Joe Cannon, Adin Brown and Troy Perkins are all serviceable, but none would be in particularly high demand for your average top-32 natoinal team.

Matt Pickens was one of the better keepers in MLS before moving to England, and rode the bench for QPR in the CCC.

17. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Not saying that you're wrong, but our best keepers compare quite favorably to the best keepers of most national teams in that top 32 range, so it would be odd if most of those national teams wouldn't have some use for our depth in that position. Or to address the earlier point, you would think that a nation with a relatively high number of top league players in net would have enough depth to make the position a strength in its domestic league.

For instance, we had 4 American keepers starting in the Premier League last season alone. Outside of the US, Brazil, and the nations in which the top 4 leagues are located, I honestly can't think of a single country with 4 keepers that have started regularly in those leagues in the past few years, especially not for multiple seasons like ours have. Likewise, you'd be hard pressed to find more than 4 nations with two active keepers as good as Howard and Friedel.

18. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    It's precisely because of the USA's reputation for goalkeepers that MLS is so thin in them right now...the good ones are in demand. The position takes a while to develop though, so the lag time on restocking is significant.

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How someone like Zac Thorton starts and Chris Seitz is on the bench is just remarkably unfair to me. when is his contract up?

and the transformation from charlie davies to swedish goalkeepers to MLS goalkeepers to chris seitz is complete :D

20. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preki works in mysterious ways...

ANyway, so Davies' goal IS the game winning goal correct? (ducks)

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i guess im in no real position to argue it out either, he's atop the west so its obvioiusly working for him.

22. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys should know that Thornton has only given up like 2 goals in 5 matches . . .

23. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Whu? Norway was brainstorming ways to cap Perkins after 1/2 year in Valarenga.

Watch more mediocre leagues, and you'll be amazed that some pretty top leagues aren't offering contracts to guys in MLS. Watching the highlights of Edu's goal the other day in Scotland, I was shocked at the level of goalkeeping.

24. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Finally saw the goal. That's quality one on one attacking and superb finish by Charlie.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still, it would be a supreme injustice if Seitz wasnt starting in MLS by 2011, with 3 MLS teams being shired in by then. Too much talent to be sitting on the bench. He needs to be at Phili, Portland, or Vancouver starting within the next two years.

oh....um, yeah, solid goal by Davies as well :p