Charleston vs. Atlanta pre/post discussion(R)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by ox utd, May 22, 2006.

1. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Lazo has to start - we all know the quality he brings. Armstrong should get a start as well with Omar gone. Here's my lineup (not that anyone has asked;) )
    ---------------Keith---------------
    Brunt-----Watson----Curran-------Corcoran
    Luke------Lazo-------Matteo--------Armstrong
    -----------Hollywood-----Gavin----------
    I know we're really playing a 4/5/1, but since they still announce Ben as a forward, thought I'd stick him up there for my lineup.

Nice to know we'll get a legitimate game from the Silverbacks. I know it's painful to give them a compliment, but at least we know they'll play the game, whereas last week was a fiasco. Atlanta is a rivalry for me (which means i want to beat them but I also respect them), puerto rico on the other hand haven't been around long enough to be considered a "rival", and I don't have any respect for them - I just despise them now. That's the last I'll mention those wankers until we play them again - lets move on and get a result this weekend. Your thoughts....

2. carnellm

carnellm Soccer Dad

May 15, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    My only difference would be that I think Dusty will be in goal. Not that Keith isn't excellent. I just think Dusty is great and he wants to get back on the pitch.

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have a good showing for the match.

Want to invite everyone over to the E10 tailgate before the match just next to the east stands gate.( yeah even you damn dirty apes are invited;) ) spence will have the Mobius Van there with the tunes and brew. a few a bringing out some grub. stop by grab a brew (thanks spence and his support) and then stop by E10 to make some noise.

Mikey

4. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might not put Matteo or Hollingsworth in as a lock either. I bet one of them doesn't start.

5. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    I like your line up. I like Lazo and Hollywood attacking up the middle. Their strength is running at defenders. I predict at least 2 Battery goals. The monkees have been terrible on the road, so I trust the defense will close them down.

6. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    If Omar and Shane were here I'd sit Matteo, but since we're a little thin I don't know. Maybe Ugo instead of Matteo?

7. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Has Ugo had much playing time this season?

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly from the Bench, maybe 10-15 minutes per match.

You going to make the match this weekend Wellington?

mikey

9. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    Damn it's nice to see Lazo in there. Haven't seen him play since June last year, and he really impressed me. I would put Dusty in goal, if healthy.

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you have your own sub-forum now, I expect to read some good match reports next week :D

11. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    I'll go ahead and start with my match report:
    Battery win 18-0 with 10 goals from Glinton, 4 from Hollingsworth, one each to - Watson, Lazo, Armstrong, Ugo (who breaks last years scoring duck). The game was called off in the 80th minute when all 11 of the ATL's players were unable to continue as they were lying on the field, curled in the fetal position, sucking their thumbs and crying out for their mommies. The army of soccer moms that frequent the matches had to be called in to comfort the sweet little crying monkeys - and with promises of ice cream and the playground ringing round the pitch, the atlanta players were led off and to their waiting coach.

If the match doesn't go exactly like this, I'll be shocked;)

12. carnellm

carnellm Soccer Dad

May 15, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Whatever you are on man, can I have some?! :eek:

Not saying that won't be the score, I just think the breakdown will be different....

13. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    The monkee fans did not notice because they were too embroiled with their T-shirt color and patch design. Good pre-match report, Ox, although you may be conservative on the final score.

14. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    I'm just high on life.........and sometimes paint thinner:p

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Good article. Our subs could start on other teams, so we will not miss a beat. I like the thought of the Brunt and Ben moving up from the back line to create a swarming offense. Has anyone been disappointed with the lack of consistency in the placement of free kicks and corner kicks? I have read that a certain % of goals from corner kicks should be expected, we are still batting zero, I believe.

17. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont for get to WATCH the match if you can be there via Battery TV.

http://www.charlestonbattery.com/webcast.asp

match is streamed live via PPV.

some severe weather rolling through right now, but hope it passes before match time

mikey

18. carnellm

carnellm Soccer Dad

May 15, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    From the looks of things right now, I am hoping that rain won't be a problem. Either way though, we will be there!

19. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Seems that my earlier match report was a bit off the mark....0-0 draw in what was really a flat, unemotional and slow speed match. Armstrong was my man of the match - everyone else was average (no one did anything glaringly wrong, nor did anyone do anything especially good). Very much an unimpressive effort for what should be a rivalry game.:confused:

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both team looked like they were just "there" neither really built up any sort of momentum. the center ref was calling everything. neither linesmen seemed to figure out the offside rule, I couple times I felt sorry for ATL when the linesman called one of there guys off when he was on the opposite side of the pitch and not anywhere near the play.

anyhow, good to see the boys live butman I wished for a goal.

Hopefully they can pick it up next week.

mikey

21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. SC71

SC71 Member

May 30, 2004
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else think some of the youngsters should be playing more? Five games played and seven goals scored with three assists is a fair number. Also, a 2-1-2 mark is a good start, but getting off just 11 shots per match is not getting it done on the offensive side of the field. Have been very impressed with the Battery defense!

23. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    which one's are you thinking of? I think Troy has looked good the few minutes he's had, but he's competing for a spot with probably our best player this season in Daley, and on the other side Luke and Armstrong who've been impressive as well. Hughes and Smith both play up top and neither has really gotten much of a look except the few minutes Lawrence was in against the ATL, and Hughes was in some in pre-season. I think right now it's going to be hard to displace some of the more experienced guys. I'm not disagreeing with you, just curious as to who you'd put in and take out.

24. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lawrence and Armondo made their debuts against the monkees.