Charleston v. Montreal 6-7 (R)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    time to get this one started.

http://www.charlestonbattery.com/matches_previews.asp?cid=354

Montreal havent seem to be able to put it together this season so far. The played Wed. night against Miami for a 0-0 draw. Montreal played with 10 players the last 15 min when Defender Stefano Pesoli was sent off with a second yellow. Not sure if he has an appeal time or if the next match bad will be this weekend.

Montreal coach DeSantis seems to be scrambling to find a winning combination, releasing several players and calling up a few from the reserve side. Montreal hasnt given up much in the back but they havent scored much either. Hopefully our offense will find its form again and will see a couple in the back of the net for the Battery.

On the Battery side, the 10 days off should be a good thing, allowing a few players to recuperate and allow Armstrong and Corcoran the chance to get the rust out a bit more. Not sure of the injury report but will keep and eye out for Andrew Millers blog to be updated.

both teams will have the humidity to contend with but I would think the Battery will fare better with it. look for the Battery to wear them down in the first half and school them in the second.

Should be a decent crowd if the weather is good. It's Family night and $28 gets you 4 tickets, 4 sodas, and 4 hot dogs. a pretty good deal.

Im going to go 3-0 to the Battery. Patterson, King and Armstrong.

2. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not to mention an appearance by goindownsouth and Mrs goindownsouth. We will be hard to miss in the Three Lions Pub... German NT shirt for me and Hungarian NT shirt for her.

We are looking forward to it and hoping for the 3-0 victory Mikey mentioned!

3. Menace Fan

Menace Fan New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    Joe Riley Park
    This will be my first match of the year due to scheduling conflicts with The Joe. Seems like the finishing problems of the last few years have been worked out taking the scoring pressure off of Armstrong. I am excited to see this year's version of the Battery.

Anything I should look for Sat. night? I am glad Rolko has earned himself a respectable spot on the squad.

See you in the pub beforehand!

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alonso in the middle is doing alot of unsung work and really keeps the team solid. Armstong coming back should add even more spark to the squad. and keep an eye on Patterson, king and More. Patterson is scoring from all over, King is finally finding his place with the team. and More is ready for his break out.

Also, it looks like they are forcasting a record High for tommorrow, supposed to hit 97F with a heat index of around 105F and that is at 6pm tomorrow evening. Expect some cramping!

Ill be in E10 so swing by and introduce yourselves.

Mikey

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-1 to the Battery Montreal scored in the first 5 min and then the battery leveled it up right before half time.

Battery scored two in the second and should of had a couple more. Teh center ref was pretty crap tonight but at least he was consistantly crappy.

up to first!

Mikey

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dome post match reports

from the local paper
    http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/jun/08/fuller_king_fuel_batterys_comeback_over_43883/

Battery's match report
    http://charlestonbattery.com/matches_report.asp?mid=247

Montreal match report
    http://montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=908&Focus=0

GDS: I looked for you and the misses a couple times but didnt see you (did see a couple Geramn National shirts but they seem to be quite the envogue item for the Euros!)

Hope you had a good trip donw and enjoyed yourself. Look forward to meeting you next time.

Mikey

8. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey Mikey!

We were a touch behind getting to the stadium thanks to spending some quality time at Coast Brewing Company, sucking back some brews. We were there though and I loved seeing the German shirts. Very nice. I saw JBG from a distance but could not catch him to introduce myself.

Good environment last night and quality football. I would hope they could bring out bigger crowds and perhaps come closer to capacity, but hey it may be a pipe dream, I know... Still, I think the Battery are perhaps the best side talent-wise in the USL - consistency is the key. If they remain consistent and injury-free, there is no telling what this side could do.

9. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey GDS, I also did a couple of driveby looks for you but didn't pick you and the misses out. Guess you'll just have to return!

I hate how we seem to start slow....have for years so it must be a coaching decision. And I know managing energy levels is important, especially in hot weather. But if you're going to go slow at first....can you still play some D? Giving up early goals is usually not the recipe for success. We gave up early goals against Vancouver and now Montreal. Came back against Montreal but not Vanc. It's good we seem to have a lot of offensive arrows in our quiver this year but still, good teams generally do not let you back into a game. I wish when we're at home, we would start with more emotion. It's also a crowd noise killer when the game starts, the crowd wants to get into it but the other team has all the possession.

We need to keep up our winning pace while we're still enjoying all these home matches. They'll come a time later on, I'm sure, when the road will wear us down. But it seems there are a lot more draws in the league this year, which is a good thing for us, no one is breaking out of the pack to challenge the leaders. VIVA LA BATTERIA!!

10. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that Coast Kolsch is a great beer, I'm trying to get the pub to put it on tap.;)

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree they have it on tap at Madra Rua, I've been wanting to try their other beers as Im more of a stout/lager guy.

12. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the Coast Brewery actually located (i.e. where are the free samples?) :D

Is it brewed in the Charleston area or are they one of those brewers that uses our "name" but the beer is brewed in Maryland or Iowa or.....(e.g. that beer that uses the East Bay name is not brewed anywhere near Charleston)

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are local and and choose local and organic ingredients.

http://www.coastbrewing.com/

14. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually, if the family truckster is there, dave is there and he doesn't mind handing out a sample. They have a magic tap built right into the wall and cold beer comes out of it.

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we too old to take a field trip?

16. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Feel free to call them or send them an email through their website. When you talk to them, tell them you want to swing by and try their wares. Tell them Dan (or "goindownsouth" from BeerAdvocate) sent you.

Jamie and David are cool as can be. This past weekend, my wife and I sat in the brewery and sucked down copious amounts of their KILLER German Koelsch. It was phenomenal.

17. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You were there too? We were as well, but earlier on Saturday... We needed some time to recover from all of that Koelsch... WOW is that amazingly good.

They will release an Altbier in a couple of months, so we will be back soon for that. We should organize a little meet up in North Charleston for that.

18. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hell no... In fact, the next time I am in town, I DEMAND it to make sure I get to meet up with you folks!

19. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but I work right down the street from them, so I stop in from time to time for a ride home beer.