Charleston Battery 2006 Season (R)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, May 6, 2006.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Charleston v. Montreal 5-13 pre/post match (R)

good result for us against a typically tight Montreal defense.

Glinton and Daley look to be great off season acquitions and Hollingsworth continuing to shine.

mikey

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're baaaaaaackkkkk..... [​IMG]

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team will be at Manny's Neighborhood Grill again tomorrow night. If you don't go to the PUb after them match, its a great chance to meet the players at the restaurant from 6-7 pm. Does anyone know if ESPN radio (910 AM on your radio dial) is on-line? They will also be there doing normal schpeal with questions with Auggie and the players.

I won't be able to make it but if some one goes could they get a rundown of the Q&A and let me know?

http://www.mannysgrills.com/

6. carnellm

carnellm Soccer Dad

May 15, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    I wasn't able to make it this time. Hopefully will next week. This Saturday we will be up against the Puerto Rico Islanders. Should be beautiful weather and hopefully, since it is family night, a good turn out.

Roll on Battery!

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn anyone listen in on the radio? do they take phone in questions?

also,

Omar Daley and Keith Wiggins were named to the USL team of the week.

Daleys second time and not bad for a back up keeper to get named

http://www.charlestonbattery.com/news.asp?y=2006&page=1&id=246

8. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    I listened to the radio show. No request for callers. Andrew talked with Coach A who said about same thing as news article, i.e. Montreal was not used to being behind and when they found themselves down 1-0, they had to press which opened them up to counter attacks.

Daley talked about his goal and playing the game in England on June 3rd. I am sure Coach A would never hold him back from such a stage as the Old Trafford, but he will be missed in Hotlanta.

Ben was questioned about the penalty kick and always in his mind to go low right corner. He was also looking forward to the honor of playing vs. the National Team tomorrow.

Andrew keeps the program moving well.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the input Duke. the shows an hour long right?

wish I could get the show over the 'Net.

I know Auggie said he wasn't going to play any for more than 45 min against the US in a newspaper article last week. Great honor for all the players, I just wish it was open to the public.

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crawford called into Jamaican camp with Omar Daley

Crawford to replace injured Gardner

Great opportunity for the two of them. Well miss them here but its not ever day pair of USL players get to play England, at old Trafford in front of a sold out crowd of 60,000

Mikey

11. sandshark5150

sandshark5150 Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been on here before, but a friend of mine spotted Justin Evans playing indoor here in K.C. last week. I'll see if it's true tomorrow. Ironically, he was the goalie....

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justin is a great guy. If you see him tell him Mikey said hello.

he didn't have a great year last year but no one really did on the Battery. He played his heart out for us thought and for that I give him much Respect.

mikey

13. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad that during a couple of weeks, 2 of our players will have scrimmaged both the England and US World Cup squads.

14. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    I read somewhere that Crawford and Daley might miss 2 or 3 games. Say it ain't so, Joe.

15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, who's been your best or most surprising player this year? You guys looked pretty organized when we played you in March, but I haven't really followed how the season's going.

16. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Omar Daley (you probably saw him play for Jamaica against the US) has been a real shot in the arm since he arrived - lightning fast and skillful as well. Hollingsworth has been his usual work-horse self - running about 20 miles per game and fighting for every ball. Glinton has also made a big difference - having a forward who actually moves and does some work is something we haven't had in a couple of years. Having Mark Watson back on defense has been important too - his calming effect on the backs and his leadership are priceless, and he gets my wife out to the games (she was concerned when Chrono left, but Mark has filled in nicely for her to ogle), which in turn means I can stay in the pub longer afterwards/before without getting a guilt trip. The matches become "together time" - when in reality it's just me doing what I'd normally do, and her eating funnel cakes commenting on the players!:D

17. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How fast is Daley?

How fast do you think Daley would be over 40m?

18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: How fast is Daley?

good question, Im sure he has a sub 5 but the whole team is fast. Vercollone, Glinton, Armstron, Lesesne, Hollingsworth,

Were playing a 4-5-1 right now and attacking with about 6-7 players. I was a bit concerned but now that have worked it out we are seeing alot of chances and from different players and parts of the field. Our counter attack is quick, as Montreal found out this past week. Puerto Rico Should be another good test. then ATL at home and then we get the privilege of opening the Silverbacks new stadium.

This looks like a good year to be a Battery fan; attractive soccer, the pub to watch the world Cup, free Mobius beer before most games, finally got some supporter scarves made and a winning team!

Up the Battery!!!

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard that Ussoccer.com was going to have video of the scrimage today with Battery up after the match.

so head over there to see how our boys did against theUSMNT

I don't really think that much will come out of the match

Auggie said he wasn't going to play any of the players more than 45 mins.

But with a few internationals on the team including two Jamaicans and a Canadian, Im sure they will want to impress as well as a few of our players. there is a lot of press there today so it will be good publiciity for the Battery. Just wished it would have been opened to the public.

Mikey

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah they look good. they are very organized and when we played you guys, we'd only been together a week or so. Now the offense is starting to click the midfield and even after Chris Gores went out iwth a broken leg, our defense is still solid.

Omar is doing great but I wouldn't concider him really a surprise. I mean hes doing well but I kind of expect him too.

Gavin Glinton has been a nice surprise to me. He hadn't played in two years, I didn't know how comfortable he would be but has netted three goals for us. He admitted he wasn't sure he still had it in an article in the local paper. I can imagine his desire and drive now must be soaring knowing he can still play and not only that be pretty good too. Great story with Gavin.

Mikey

21. sandshark5150

sandshark5150 Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll do that Mikey, no problem....

22. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Just letting you know, Mikey Mouse, that I posted on the cust serv thread. I hope that there is a separate Battery forum in the near future. I am also hoping for continued great results for the Battery. They are playing great soccer right now and the players must be confident after that shellacking against Montreal.

Now it is simply a question of maintaining that form (and the good goalscoring, which has been a problem the last couple of years) over the course of the season. The early season run of home games will help the team get off on the right foot, but hopefully they will be just as effective on the road.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It should be an intersesting match between Battery and National Team. Lazo gets a chance to play against some former friends and players from his MLS days. I believe he played with convey at DC United. Milutin Soskic, the MNT goalkeeper coach was in Chicago much of the winter, also.

24. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Re: How fast is Daley?

The attack has been a treat to watch. There are still some errant passes as people are not where they are supposed to be, but they are getting fewer and fewer. The second goal vs. Montreal was a classic on the video highlights over at USL website. Great give and go between Luke and Crawford, Ben created a gap in the center and when he could not get the shot off he dished over to Omar who was there. Note that there were 4 offensive players in the box to finish off a caroom. I didn't see that kind of hustle much last year.

The Islanders should be a real test and look forward to it.