Charge - Spirit Pre-Match

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Charge!, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    And good news to kick it off...

Pichon upgraded to questionable, Mitts to probable. For SD, Paglairulo is out, Ouying is probable.

So keep x-ing fingers...this was in the WUSA forum.

Paul

2. Poirot

Poirot New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    USA
    well, the last few games have basically proved that certain players are key to the Charge's success - offense and defense.

Let's secure a playoff spot already!!! This is making me nervous!!!

3. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    First comments on SJ result from Coach K....

"We'll take the approach of one game at a time. This game on Saturday is a very important game. We need to come out and clinch a playoff spot and wrap this business up."

"If I wanted to make excuses I could find some. We've put players on the field we think they're all professional players. They give us a chance to win. In Boston, it wasn't our best game. We were fortunate to come away with a point.

"In San Jose, I thought the first half in particular we fought pretty hard. We had a couple chances to score. In the second half, they kind of overpowered us a bit."

Paul

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I don't believe you can say the Charge have played BAD soccer since the Carolina match.

NY the last 10 minutes were BAD.

Against Boston, we can say less than average.

And the same for San Jose.

My point all along, is, ALL season the Charge had been playing EXCEPTIONALLY, and to expect it to CONTINUE was ignoring a commonality is all sports, teams go through ups and downs, all in the same year.

The Charge are in a down phase, with plenty of time to recover.

Resting players and using the whole team is a GOOD.

Ever take a day off from work, just to rest??

And then you come back, refreshed and ready to tackle everything all over again.

That's what we'll see against San Diego.

5. judymd

judymd New Member

there is only one thing i want to hear from the announcers at the stadium tonight - mandy clemens - goal. Who wants another? i do believe that ms. clemens will score her first two goal game of the season!

6. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    OK, what's the major factors in tonights play?

1) There's no way San Diego can be acclimated to this heat and HUMIDITY, so possession is the dominate key tonight. San Diego will sit and try to pounce on counter chances and dead ball situations.

2) The motivation is with the Charge, while San Diego, while out of the playoffs, is playing for pride.

3) So, what do we do, I say Moore Benson Iverson Tietjen Mitts Fair Tullock Monroe Zhao Clemens and KOLESKI start. 4-5-1

4) I want Clemens to get forward as much as possible in support of Koleski. I expect Zhao and Benson to get at least 10 crosses in between them, and I think Koleski would be better abled to finsih ehad balls than Clemens.

5) Liu and Conners and Martin are options off the for offense, in fact I expect all subs to get used. And McDowell would be as sub if the Charge get up a couple goals.

Team who scores first has a huge advantage, because the effort required to play from behind in this weather is enormous.

Key is time of possession for the Charge, and NOT getting exposed in the back, When the ouside defenders get forward, Tullock and Fair need to be aware of where MacMillian is.

See you at the stadium

7. judymd

judymd New Member

i think we need to keep attacking their goal, shooting earlym and often. good shots, bad shots, it doesn't matter. just keep hammering them in there at their keeper. play possession, yes, but don't possess so much that we forget to shoot (because i do think that there are some of our players who do that. they spend so much time looking for the perfect final pass that they end up losing the ball instead of going for the half chance.)

8. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    By possession, I mean controling the ball, working it forward, then then creating chances.

Zhao and Benson should have ample chances to get wide and get crosses in.

What I don't what to have to do, is be chasing San Diego, who has the ball.

This might even be a game to start Liu and Tullock and Zhao, because those 3 give the Charge the best possession possible.

And I cannot believe San Diego can run a full 90 minutes, so they'll sit and defend, and wait for their chances.

The other thing is when defenders go forward, make sure there's the right coverage.

I just keep remembering the 2-0 lead against NY, and everyone thought, wow let's attack more, and the Milbrett got on the other side of FAir about 40 yards out. Hey, up 2-0, do your Italian catenaccio imitation.

I do think the Charge can play at a higher tempo than San Diego due to acclimitation, however, this means playing good soccer.

9. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    CAR-SJ(R)

Prinz at minute 15 for the guys down south.

10. sushibait

sushibait New Member

Dec 7, 2000
    I thought that Koleski was very ineffective in the SJ game.

I think Lui should start.

I think that Clemens should sit.