Charge/Freedom Founders Cup II semifinal pre-match!

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Charge!, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Why waste time, huh?

You know all 'bout the Freedom; 8-1-2 in their last 11. It's not just Mia to deal with, it's Abby and Bai Jie as well. She's the only one who can outdo Millie in a foot race, I think.

Formation? Lineup? Predictions? Leave 'em here. And maybe we can have a get-together for dinner on Friday after work at some center city restaurant or watering hole and talk shop.

Paul

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    What is Villanova's capacity again? I'm too lazy to look. So will this be a sellout? The Freedom will have I think at least several busses shuttling Freedom fans up there for this match.

Can't wait for Saturday!!!

3. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    12K is a general figure plus or minus a couple hundred.

generally, it's a late arriving crowd.

Weather is low '90's with high humidity, and since the rutf will be radiating heat, all the more sweltering.

Charge game is more possession oriented, so match conditions are possession type.

The key tactical element is the use of Hamm.

I don't believe she can play 120 minutes, so the big question is, does she come on at the half.

For the Charge, I'd go with:

Moore Mitts Iverson Tietjen Fair Conners Tullock Zhao Liu and Pichon

The big difference here is starting Liu to get the best offensive side out there.

Krikorian may wish to save her as counterploy to the subbing of Hamm.

McDowell or Monroe would get the call if Liu is a sub.

In any case all the players mentioned will play, and add Clemens to the mix.

The general tactic for Krikorian is to bring an offensive spark off the bench.

And this is always Liu.

4. ToniSchumacher

ToniSchumacher New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa., USA
    Why start Fair at left back? She's never played there all year. Besides, Benson's much better in that position and Fair is a lot better in midfield working in tandem with Stacey Tullock.

If I were Coach K, I'd stick with the team that got me here:

Moore, Mitts, Iverson, Tietjen, Benson, Conners, Fair, Tullock, Lihong, McDowell, Pichon. Possibly replace McDowell with Mary Frances Monroe.

Play to the strengths of the Charge: Defend as a unit and possess the ball. Pull the Freedom out of formation and counterattack like mad.

Save Liu, Erin Martin and Mandy Clemens for mid second half subs when the Freedom is exhausted.

5. sebe

sebe New Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think Adam just missed Benson. If you count, there are only 10 players listed.

6. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    yes would help if I'd proof read my line-up..

only 10 listed and Benson is the left back, my error.

The only point is I'd expect the Freedom not to commit much forward, try playing long ball to Wambach and hope some support gets forward for the balls she flicks around.

DC will get more aggressive when Hamm enters the pitch, hoping her freshness against tired defenders results in chances.

My expectation is DC will be conservative the first half, that's why I'd prefer to have Liu out there, as I think this change can cause some difficulty.

When Hamm is out there, I think you'll see more space to counter attack against, and hopefully by that time the Charge are up a goal.

Sorry for the bad line-up before, and sebe got my error too..

some times the hand is slower than the brain

7. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Welcome newbie. Any relation to Michael?

Some ancient Chinese dude whispered to my ear how to defeat the Hammsters.

" . . . avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak. "
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

As I've said all season long about their weak link - attack Skylar and good things will happen.

8. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    A factor is most of the Charge players have a play-off match and Pichon has lots of international experience.

Freedom will be in their 1st ever, and while some have experienced do or die matches, I think there's a small edge to the Charge here.

I still think the controling tactic is how Hamm gets used.

Next factor is wise use of subs, because conditions will leave some players dragging.

Ultimately, it's Zhao and Tullock, whom I believe are critical.

Tullock has been skyrocketing forward in confidence, and is a far more dangerous player, than even the last time the Charge played DC.

And Zhao is just so deadly on her service.

9. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    So if it goes to the 105 minute mark....

and still deadlocked, who are your penalty-takers?

Paul

10. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    One thing bout mia, shes fooled people into thinking she is the catalyst, she isnt, jones is...therefore we need to guard her...i have faith in my defense for both her and wambach.

i would however use mcdowell for some more D

Tullock will be KEY

One thing though is that it seemed that the 4-5-1 was the least effective against this team...either pichon was blocked from getting out or was drawn offside. It must be at least thought to have a 4-4-2 against this team...they arent fooled by the 4-5-1 however it would be no crime to still use it here.

the X factor for washington will be goalkeeping, it is their weak spot and not a good weak link to face pichon with...the d must step up to have a chance.

For us...if OT looms id definatly have clemens ready, want as many shooters on the pitch should we need them for a shootout.

id actually have either clemens or liu as a bench mark on hamm...that is she comes in as soon as hamm comes in to counteract any freshness she may bring.

Id watch the ref closely, its just too tempting to WUSA to try to pull a korea here so they get mia in the final :rolleyes: .

Fear, id rather have 6000 charge fans that 12000 freedom fans.

Im trying to procure a samba drum to add to the cowbells and air horns...and remember...

REAL FANS WEAR RED!!!! Pass it on...im even gonna tell the charge about this one why not create the sea of red for the playoffs...hell ill give a consession to the PTH even, i wouldnt even mind RED mia jerseys just so it doesnt sound like a road game, there is room for some honor during intros and the like.

FREEDOM ARE OVERRATED!!!

JOIN THE RED REVLOUTION!!!

BE THE REDS!!!

CHARGE TEAM FIGHTING!!!!

11. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Here's a reason why the tie on 7/14 down there was so meaningful...

One could suggest that it was Mia Hamm HERSELF who cost the Freedom home field. For if she made that PK, this game would be at RFK Stadium and not Villanova.

And didn't we keep her off the scoresheet that day (yes, her corner eventually led to a goal, but Jones was the assist-er on Abby's tally).

Paul

12. Poirot

Poirot New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    USA
    I think, as you guys have been saying, Zhao and Tullock are really key to this game. Moreover, I think that Zhao has what it takes. Zhao had some turnovers her last game, but I think that she is the Charge's most consistent player. As for Tullock, she is pretty hot right now and I think the charge should capitalize on that. Pichon - if they can get the ball up to her, if the mid can give her good services, she can do her business. But it is extremely difficult for ONE forward to penetrate a defense that is obviously going to mark her. Get the first goal - you need it not only to get the game going their way, but to boost their recent spirits.

They probably know what they did wrong against the beat - and there were many things. I hope that they can play like they used to. They havent come this far this season to give it up to the overrated hamm and the washington freedom. I really hope they make the final.

13. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um...

Siri Mullinix: 80.77% save percentage, 84 saves in 14 games (6 saves/game)
    Melissa Moore: 78.18%, 86 saves in 20 games (4.3 saves/game)

Mullinix has been tested more than Moore, has given up exactly one easy goal that I've seen this year, and she's all but singlehandedly shut down teams like Boston (setting the WUSA record for saves in a game earlier this year). Frankly, I'd take her over Moore, especially if it comes to PKs. We have our weaknesses, but goalkeeping isn't one of them.

14. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    What SCF said - Siri's been spectacular for us and Save Percentage is the most telling statistic for goalkeepers (GAA depends far too much on the defense in front of the keeper). If you want to think she's a weak link, OK...

15. I don't know how I feel about Saturday's result in Atlanta, because I don't know what the objective was. I'm not saying that the game was tanked, but winning may not have been the top priority.

Before Saturday, it had been a while since the Charge played the full starting roster. I think that was the top priority last Saturday in Atlanta - quality minutes for the starters.

The team is healthy, rested, and they have an entire week to prepare for Washington.

Starting Line

Moore
    Mitts - Iverson - Tietjen - Benson
    Connors - Tullock (d-mid) - Fair - McDowell - Lihong
    Pichon

Subs
    Liu for McDowell, Martin for Connors, possibly Koleski for Fair

More later

Dwight

16. sushibait

sushibait New Member

Dec 7, 2000
    I think Mc Dowell is totally ineffective.

Connors was too last game and most of the season.

Clemens doesn't fit in with this team at all.

17. Poirot

Poirot New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    USA
    I can agree with you to a certain extent. I do believe that these players have talent; however, they are not consistent and the other midfielders are more effective.

18. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I believe you have to look at roles players are assinged to fully appreciate their talent.

And outside observes miss her role.

Centrally the Charge mids shut down midfield defensively, and this is what Monroe and McDowell do.

The Charge style is to play wide, use the outside backs and wingers for offense.

You'll see McDowell hound Mia all day, make life miserable for her.

And if you can't appreciate it, then you won't begin to comprehend what makes the Charge click.

It all starts with TEAM DEFENSE.

19. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Somewhere someone asked about who you want to take PK's.

My list, although I've had some help discussing this previously:

1) Pichon
    2) Liu
    3) Zhao
    4) Tullock

and 5 becomes interersting.

I say in minute 120, #8 goes and gets subbed in and just stands there while the clock runs down.

5) #8

and if you don't really want to do that, then

5a) Benson
    5b) Martin
    5c) Koleski

If it goes to PK's I like the depth of PK takers the Charge have.

20. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I see where Dwight's use of players would permit the PK line-up I had listed to be available.

All year long the Charge have set a defensive tone, then inserted offensive talent.

And Dwight's sub system does the same.

And I think we see DC doing the same, wanting to have offense available off the bench.

Although if the Charge are up at minute 80, Monroe could go on to add more defensive intensity in midfield. I'd expect the weather to wear on everyone and fresh defensive legs to disrupt any playmaking from midfield is an option I'd strongly consider.

A final point, I believe Dwight has mentioned the names of people who will play. I'd be shockedc if any other name plays.

21. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I was thinking about possible tactical changes to throw off DC.

Against San Jose, when Liu came on the pitch, she assumed the role of the lone forward.

And when Pichon came on 15 minutes later, it was in midfield.

I wouldn't mind seeing this again against DC.

22. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    So if Hamm starts, she goes against fresh Charge, and DC loses the edge of her coming on when.

If she subs, then our little Squirt will come on and follow her till Hamm drops.

No matter what, all will be a happy ending in the Land of Red.

23. I have to agree with Dwight's take on the line up for the most part. I agree with others, however, that the Charge would be inclined to bring Monroe in when Hamm appears. MF shows no fear, MF shows no automatic respect. Players are forced to play against her. Hamm is human, MF's tenacity borders on the devine.

As much as we like to guess, I'm confident that we will see the best that the Charge players and staff have to offer on Saturday.

And as usual, at some point, they will prove why they are on the field and we are in the cheap seats.

GO CHARGE!
    CHARGE TEAM FIGHTING!

Scott

24. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    The all-important....

injury report.

Tullock: probable. For the Freedom, Ann Cook probable.

That's it. :) The week off helped us.

Paul

25. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    you pretty much have to be in a body cast to be missing this matchup.

now as for the game...id start mcdowell, gotta go with size early to bog down the offense in the heat sub her out at 60...as for pichon as a mid...i dunno...i think she goes all out early...after all this may be the last game she plays for the charge this season even if we win maybe later in the game (keep reading).

Id keep koleski off the field, use clemens or martin instead.

Siri is a sweeper keeper...pichon is a speedy attacker...that useally bodes badly for the goalie.

I would keep my CDs tight in the back...with 2 big girls in wambach and jones this is NO game to be pushing up.

Id suspect mia to start, one of the keys to playoff sports is to take the crowd out of it...no better weapon for that than mia, if thats the case id use zhou on her as a semi mark, take down her service and wear out her knees by having her lined up against a player with great footwork like zhou...if she comes in later it depends if you start liu or connors personally id start liu then bring on monroe for defense especally if mia comes in.

Sorry kerry but the playoffs is no time for timid football.

Lineup idea

Moore
    TIMBer line
    Liu Fair Tullock Mcdowell Zhou
    Pichon

Subs:
    Monroe ---> Liu whenever mia comes in

Martin--->McDowell to keep the size going but to add some offense

if mia starts....

Clemens---> Liu pichon drops to mid at the mid 60s

Monroe---> McDowell

As for adam's OT idea although NY did this with gro in the 90th minuite of a game against us last year so she could get credit for serving a 1 game suspension for yellows, i do NOT think bringing in 8 at minuite 120 to have a kirk gibson attempt in a shootout, is either legal or advisable, end of story.

I would however sneak clemens onto the pitch if she hasnt been put on already.

Prediction 2-1 charge on a golden goal!