Charge-Boston [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Charge!, Jul 27, 2002.

1. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Nice way to give the results from the game in the title of this thread. :rolleyes:

2. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Thread corrected...

I wanted to spin off the Coach K comments into their own thread, but when I did, had second thoughts and re-merged them into the result thread. But when I changed the title of it, I didn't change it back to Charge-Boston [R].

Major oops.... :eek: Now everything is back where it should be.

Paul

3. sebe

sebe New Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    Well, it's good we got the tie. The Charge have been a banged-up team. Tullock and Pichon were out. It isn't surprising the team is having trouble scoring with a good distributor, in Tullock, and our top two goal scoring threats, Pichon and Smith, out. Ah, wouldn't is be sweet to picture the team as a whole come play-off time. That isn't going to happen though. The Charge have found a way to adapt without Smith, now they need to step-up again and pick-up for the absence of Pichon. Besides, we might not even have Pichon if we make it to the Finals.

Keep fighting Charge!

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    OK, since I haven't seen the match, seems like whatever spin you want to put on it, you can make the match be either good or bad.

1) Charge have played WELL all season, but maintaing that level is unrealistic. Still the Charge strength is defeinding, and except for 10 minutes all season, can any one say they haven't done so, WELL all year.

2) Getting goals...ultimately the matter is creating good chances. nd generally, on the whole, the Charge have done so.

My view is get players healthy, and get them rested. Iverson and Tiejten should get a match off, just rest them.

If Pichon toe was broken, then I'd be concerned. The other concern is availablility, which is a different matter.

I'd rather have a team go through a tough phase, knowing nothing will get handed to them, than show up in the play-offs TOO cocky.

We all should realize WUSA has too many good players for any team just to waltz through it.

Lucky Dwight and Scott, they get to go see the Charge clinch Wednesday.

Anyone up for a get together to watch this match some place on TV, and then celebrate??

5. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Sebe does mention the Finals, is it confirmed the date of France-Denmark.

Assume it's 8/22, I think we would see Pichon assume a role similar to what Milbrett did, come in at 60 minute mark.

You would basically have Liu and Pichon off the bench.

Look at the scores this weekend, every thing is getting so CONSERVATIVE.

And I think you see a conservation style continue in the playoffs.

If 8/26 is the date, this poses a different question. I still would maintain France gets to call the shots.

6. sebe

sebe New Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've noticed that the scores have been conservative the last couple weeks.

I'd be up for watching the game. There are plenty of bars that show soccer matches, but I don't know of any that show the WUSA games. Anyone got suggestions?

7. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    let me ask around amd make some calls.

I'll start a thread about thsi

8. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I'm strictly of the glass half-full position on this for a change. Carolina lost, too. That was a bit of salve for any of us. What's done is done. If this had been a loss instead of a tie, the damage done psychologically would have been irreparable, IMO and their confidence may have been shattered to the point where they may not have won another game. But the late-game collapses have to end from here on out, and I think we all agree on that, I hope.

No one, least of all me, is saying they haven't done an outstanding job on defense. Heck, just look at any team defense category.

http://sports.yahoo.com/wusa/stats/wusateam.html

They still have to update the Saturday stuff, mind you. I emailed Lorrie with this quote from Bill Clement of the Flyers glory years of the mid 70's. This is what he said at the conclusion of the 2001 Stanley Cup finals between NJ and Colorado:

"Adversity doesn't build as much character as it reveals."

Does anyone on here believe after witnessing the events of June 1st, that no team has had to go through more adversity than us? And the fact they went 6-0-4 after Kelly was lost for the year shows that no team in the league has mountains of character to spare than ours?

Thought so :D

Paul

9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm. Tullock came on as a sub in the 45th minute for Monroe.

She didn't do anything so it just seemed like she wasn't there. ;)

Heather Mitts took a real tumble as she tried to prevent Kemp's goal. Plan on her getting a rest on Wednesday.

10. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was fun seeing Erica Iverson in action. She had been a mainstay of the Boston Renegades' defense and midfield and a very fan-friendly player. Not to mention the fact that I took her in the WUSA mock draft during the winter of 2000-2001. :)

11. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I missing something? You lose a key player and think you've gone through adversity? (As if you're the only team in the league who's had to deal with that.) You've been in first place and haven't been embarrassed once and think you've gone through adversity? Teams have had coaches fired and been embarrassed on national television - that's adversity. Washington (just for one example) has lost a key player, seen their starting goalkeeper taken off on a stretcher (and then lost the game in stoppage time because the substitute couldn't make a key save), gone through half the season without their marquee player, suffered through embarrassing losses (including one to the Charge, I might add), had to rejigger their lineup repeatedly due to injuries, callups, and late arrivals (did I miss anything?), and nevertheless have all but secured a playoff spot. Now that's adversity.

Whew, that came out a bit more strongly worded than I intended! Nothing against the Charge, who are definitely the class of the league and have a lot of character, but I think your comment lacks perspective.

12. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Starcity, hey we're all trying to have perspective.

Some people see one hint of weakness and make that the totality.

The reality is the standings, and if you read what I post, I say everyone goes through good and bad in a long season. In fact, in any game, there are good and bad flows.

13. judymd

judymd New Member

I was at the game in boston. it was good that we only let in one goal. boston was ferocious in the attack. every time lilly touched the ball she looked very dangerous. they had a number of shots that went wide/high, etc. melissa and our defense did a good job to keep the score that low because boston was pressuring up top relentlessly. we had a number of blocked shots by our defenders. it was hard to see the goal they scored because it was on the opposite side of the field than where we were sitting, but heather got hit hard and was down for several minutes. they even brought a stretcher out for her, which she decided she didn't need. she reentered the game a minute or two later. their goal was several seconds after alfiler came in for benny. i wasn't sure why he made that substitution. but, what can you do? a point is one point closer to where we need to be.

on a different note, we were surrounded in the bleachers by little girls and boys who were not at all interested in watching the match and the only time they cheered for their team was to counteract us cheering for the charge. it was very distracting. they were throwing a beach ball around the stands. i honestly don't know why parents pay good money to take their kids to games when the kids are not the least bit interested in soccer! i take my niece and nephew to every charge home game. i insist that they watch the game. they are only 6 and 7 years old, but they know what is going on most of the time, and the 7 year old keeps a running commentary going all the time. he notices things that most people wouldn't. they have become students of the game. that's the only reason to bring kids, i think. there was one woman in front of us who got up 3 or 4 times during the first half to buy food. very annoying. eat at home. eat before the game. eat at halftime. but don't keep getting up and down to go buy crackerjacks!

14. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Thanks for judymd report.

We've been going to soccer matches, BOTH mens and womens, between Boston and DC since 1989.

My own view is Boston has the best soccer culture, where the game has penetrated far deeper than any other area.

Recollection had the 1999 semi between China and Norway drawing 25,000 or so.

For a womens match where USA is NOT playing, that's a huge crowd.

As to why certain people go to matches, if they want to NOT watch the match, too bad for them.

The old soccer mentality is you defend on the road.

I'm a bit curious, what the Charge possession was like. That's their strength when playing well, holding the ball, and working forward and wide, ultimately to create danger at the other end.

15. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston draws with Philadelphia, 1-1

judymd wrote:
    There is a problem with ignorant and uncaring parents. It's not just Boston and not just the WUSA games. I see them everywhere. Good luck to them when their little brats become teenagers. ;)

The sad part is that they make you out to be the bad guy if you complain to security because you are "taking away from the kid's fun". :(

16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From 15-40 of the first half the game was very even, but Boston dominated the first 15 and final 5. The second half was all Boston, easily a 60-40 edge in possession. Philly did a nice job closing in the defensive third. The stat sheet doesn't show "blocks", but there had to be 5 or 6.

As is their wont, Boston got caught up in the attack and Philly countered. For a five minute period around the 80th minute the play was even, maybe with a slight edge to Philly. I wonder if Ali Kemp's presence at the scorer's table (82nd minute) took the players' minds off the game into the "is she coming on for me?" mode.

17. sebe

sebe New Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    Didn't see Tullock's name on the lineups. Guess she only played a half because she was still not 100%.

I would expect a lot of players to be rested soon.

18. sebe

sebe New Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    Why get so worked up, Star City Fan? If you've been around these boards then you know Paul is a very emotional guy. He's just trying to talk to his fellow Charge fans. Let him express himself on this board. It makes him feel better to rant to us. Losing a marquee player for the season, one that most thought early on would be the MVP, is tough for any team. Now, if we make it to the Finals and don't have Pichon too...I'm just waiting to see what Charge! writes. LOL

Hey, every team goes through ups and downs. Every team is hit with injuries. From my recollection, Washington, Atlanta and Philly have been the hardest hit (continually). For Washington, other than Stoecker, the team is healing and together at the right time. So, every team goes through adversity throughout the season.

19. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I didn't know I was ranting there :(...I am too emotional sometimes, I admit.

I will be more calm from here on out, since it's not like that will come out of left field. I hold out hope Pichon will play some in the final, if we indeed get there, even if it's just 20 minutes or so. At this stage of the game, there are only two possibilities how this will play out.

It may wind up the Charge will be the WUSA's version of the 2000 UConn women's hoops team, destined for the title, but lost both Svetlana Abrosimova and Shea Ralph, their collective heart and soul to injury in February of that year, and gutted it out to the national semifinal in St. Louis, I believe, where they were carried out on their shield against Notre Dame.

Or it will be the first time in 19 years that a pro sports team from Philly gets to the mountaintop. Whatever happens from here, like my mom keeps trying to tell me, 'thy will be done.'

A good philosophy to have and to keep in mind.

Paul (see, no ranting, just level-headed stuff) :)

20. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Now, Charge! the next thing you gotta do is come to the Charge TV party Wednesday night.

I'll even book you a hotel room, just in case you're unable to find your way home!!

21. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Besides...

Everybody knows my feelings on that anyway. Single elimination has and always will trump double elimination, which is what the FRA-DEN home-and-home is. So if I were the coach, she stays. All France has to do is play for the tie at home and then in September let Marinette loose on the Danes and they'll open up a can of whoop-a$$ on 'em. :D

Paul

22. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    :eek:

I think I can hail a cab and get home pretty quick from there :)

Paul

23. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    There is NO way in the world, France will play without its best player.

Charge!, a WCQ is more important than any league match.

The problem here is like Beckham having to play for England a day before a Champions League Final.

The problem is WUSA and FIFA not getting on the same page.

And, the French being the French.