Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Currently sports in level 3 are only allowed to play teams in their region i.e. county. Can’t see how you can not play a team that is 10 minutes from you and in a different region but it would be ok to go out of state for a level 2 sport.

2. TinyClub

TinyClub Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I think it comes down to how far the Governor's power is able to go. Perhaps they made a calculation that they cannot prohibit travel out of state. The IYSA is not a government body. They likely cannot be prohibited by the state from issuing travel permits. If I had to guess, I'd think that they traded the 50 player pool for a 25 player pool and got the okay to travel out of state.

This likely means MRL teams can just play away games.

3. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Don’t they issue clubs’ insurance? This will be interesting

4. Jesminder

Jesminder New Member

Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    May 7, 2020
    Chicago, IL
    Someone from Eclipse is driving back from Springfield, with a big smile on their face!

VolklP19 repped this.
  5. TinyClub

TinyClub Member

Jul 11, 2019
    They might be weighing the cost of losing half of the State's clubs versus issuing some travel permits and secondary insurance?

6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    This was the very first thing I thought of as well. :D

7. Toe Poke

Toe Poke Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Dec 11, 2018
    I am not an attorney so speculating here...states cannot regulate interstate commerce (that is left up to the federal government), they can only regulate what can be done within their own borders (intrastate commerce). So Illinois can say no club vs club in Illinois, but they cannot tell a club that they cannot go to Indiana and abide by Indiana regulations. This would be treading on interstate commerce.

The announcement about out of state play referenced the DCEO, the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity. This is what their site says:

Although not encouraged, the State currently does not have any travel restrictions in place that would prohibit out-of-state travel for competition. However, teams should comply with local orders prohibiting travel, or requiring self-quarantine if they travel to certain states.

87sam78 repped this.
  8. Driven

Driven Member

USWNT
    United States
    Apr 6, 2019
    If the clubs do start doing out of state play there may be players who cannot/do not participate because their schools are not allowing in person learning if travel out of state.

9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    But the league that carries your insurance can drop you. Of course why would they? They want to keep the registration $$$.

10. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    Has anyone received an update from their club regarding the fall. I have seen one club issue a 50 player pod with scrimmages. How that works with the latest iwsl update I’m Not sure

Has anyone received anything regarding play in Indiana as an option?

mostly crickets....

11. TheWkndr

TheWkndr New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    Chicago Burbs
    We finished summer practices and were off last week but we did get a note Friday acknowledging the out of state thing stating they were looking into it. Knowing what I know so far, I can't imagine that we won't have something scheduled in either Wisc or Ind. Fall camp starts tonight and they did say they would give some updates and pods this week. The plan already included intra-squad scrimmages and 'tournaments'. Doing a 3v3 this weekend.

12. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have heard of a few clubs looking to register in Indiana for league play. I also saw on a different board that an organization received an email from the Governor’s Office admitting that they gave no jurisdiction in other states so teams can go play games/tournaments without Illinois doing anything about it.

13. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    #4388 Regista, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    https://www.soccertoday.com/surf-cu...isk-of-covid-19-transmission-in-youth-soccer/

This is data and San Diego is not a rural area.

The way they setup Mrl play for Illinois groups was the best option. Limit to 50 people. No out of state to Indiana / tournaments necessary.

Test temps prior to play. One parent only can attend. Keep same refs and roster. This is not a controlled indoor environment with 15
    Minutes of direct contact. No one is on a bus. In a locker room. Etc.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  14. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thx for sharing. Very good info!

15. Concerned

Concerned Member

Fire
    France
    Jun 30, 2018
  16. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I heard at practice today that WI shut down play.

17. SoccerPop314

SoccerPop314 Member

Fire
    United States
    Apr 24, 2020
    WI seems unlikely but I would think a similar tournament in Indiana could happen. However, with Chicago taking WI off it's quarantine location list, there might be a possibility that WI drops off the restricted list in the near future and play in the state would be allowed.

Now if VolkIP is accurate that WI shut down soccer that obviously would be a no go. However, I haven't heard anything about that yet...

18. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    It was a comment made in passing about how FCU was planning this and "They were shut down". I don't know if that means WI said no or if WI is shutting down.

19. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Hearing one or two clubs discussing with parents MRL play scheduled for MI, WI, IN. They are reaching out to parents too see if they would be willing to participate.

We have not heard anything like this where we are at.

20. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    Portage Indiana seems to be a hub for midwest league. Anyone hear further?

21. PosessionFootball

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 28, 2020
    For us it's looking like South Bend for MWC conference games...

22. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    MWC Club v club starting this weekend

23. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So they can start but no one else?

What a load of complete horse shit!

I cannot wait to be done with travel soccer.

24. Malarkey

Malarkey Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Mar 4, 2020
    So has it been explained anywhere how we’ll graduate out of these restrictions?

25. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    I know some of the prem groups are starting also in Wisconsin.

it appears first division and qualifier got shafted a bit as they regrouped those to Illinois only. I don’t think portage would have enough space

I believe there are further talks this week to figure it out.

I highly doubt Illinois changes a thing other than limiting the pods to 25 players and allowing out of state play.