Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    The SE region DPL has two clubs from outside the DA.

This is more of the point I was making.

2. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    Don't know if this is totally accurate. Based on recent happenings I don't think PN is the guy you want him to be either. Past college placement history aside, their teams from 05-03 are imploding. Many have already left and others are looking. A friend tells me at least two 05s have been trialing with Sockers DA. At least one, arguably the top 04 went to Galaxy. I know for a fact that a number of 03s went to Evolution. All within the last 6 months.

3. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    This is interesting, if true. The fallout from him leaving Eclipse wasn't good...many players already out the door and others looking.

The word is CT at FCU is also going this route at the end of the year. Gonzo taking the U15 BNT job. Looks like another year of turnover at FCU.

4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So glad I am almost out of this mess!

5. Chicagoland Soccer Source

Barca
    United States
    Jan 23, 2018
    I don't think it was voluntary

6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    No it was not...

That said he has a following - especially on the boys side now. So as long as they can pay :D he should be good.

Interesting thing will be how Eclipse reacts to this. Maybe the girls will get some field time back.

7. Chicagoland Soccer Source

Barca
    United States
    Jan 23, 2018
    From what I heard he is starting with an 'open house/ this weekend. Will announce structure and pricing model after that. Training to occur M - Saturday's.

Very interesting on CT. That is something that is news to me.

8. SpiceBoy

SpiceBoy Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 2, 2017
    My 2 Cents are that Campton has historically been on par (or almost on par) with TC for college recruiting, however their issue is that it currently appears that the 02 /03 girls are the last group at this level.

Regista repped this.
  9. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They will be back. Everyone goes to Evolution because what is promised and then goes rushing back to their old club after one year.

on the flip side you either love PN or hate him. Families used to drive from all over to play for him. The farthest was rumored to be from Peoria.

I have heard too that 03 girls left TC. There are issues at 04 and 05 but that might not be all TC elite issues.

10. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #2710 VolklP19, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Hey the 2005s got two awesome players! :eek:;):D

11. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Don’t know him...is he good/highly respected?(would hope so for that job but with US Soccer you never know)

12. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    He's a former Fire player and Costa Rica international. Used to work with Fire Academy before they all split to FCU a few years back. I don't know him personally but from people I've spoken to he's a good guy. Good enough for that position? I don't know. But he's a local guy which helps when you're working for the YNT's and are required to live in the Chicago area.

13. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Interesting, thanks. Hope he does well.

14. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Curious: lots of talk on here lamenting watered down girls soccer because of ECNL/DA. Of which I agree 100%.

I’m a big believer in pro/rel. Interest to know if some of you would agree if it would be ideal if the various leagues could agree on a tiered system based on merit (or lack thereof) from u14 on up? Open to anyone who started a club could have a shot at this. Just sounds right...right?

And then focus less on competition u13 on down and more on basic fundamentals/principles and fun?

doesn’t that seem ideal? Wouldn’t it be great if we had pro leagues like that too?

15. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and yes. I love to see a pure open pyramid.

16. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    I would assume money would get in the way of ECNL/DA joining. Plus it would defeat the purpose of an elite league. the ISWL > MRL (midwest conf. now) is a tiered structure with regulation. We just went through the qualifying for midwest and it is three tiers before you go to Nationals.

The big issue we have in Chicago is a monopoly of talent within a few clubs which other states or large cities do not have. We wouldn't be complaining in Chicago if there were three ECNL clubs.

I think the recruitment into TC, campton, NSA at older ages is the best we can do.

17. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    The ironic thing about Campton, TC is how bad there are younger teams are. Im even talking 06,07. It shows the system is skewed to smaller clubs developing top talent and losing them to recruitment, ECNL, or college connected coaches.

03 Evolution- just had a signing. i don't know if she came from TC. Good team but bolstered by TC
    04 TC- did not know this. However, their is a lot of movement between galaxy, TC, evo. sometimes due to location of kids or kids with sisters/brothers.
    that team i believe did land a striker from eclipse
    03 TC- i think PN elevated this squad. they won Prem 2. assume he was tough on them

18. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Can you elaborate on this last point. Not sure I understand...

19. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    I think those clubs at the older ages, 17-18 yrs are able to recruit talent that doesn't want to play ECNL/DA or are one tier below. They are all star teams built for college recruitment.

I don't think Galaxy GLSA etc will be able to compete with that unless they all join a league with similar potential exposure. Maybe girls will then stick together as these clubs have the best teams at u13,14. Most of these clubs have a college recruitment adviser who at this point I'm uncertain as to what value they bring vs an all star team or connected coach.

The issue in my opinion is none of these clubs will work together because they are all competing for the same talent, aka the tryout process. It's a vicious circle built on money.

20. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Totally agree. But I would prefer it based on teams and not clubs. I think that opens the door to more talent. It would be great too see some Inter, Team Chicago, Galaxy and more playing with Sockers and Eclipse.

21. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    The thing is, there is a ton of talent between Aurora and the Fox Valley. If the area could get a ECNL badge it would be a powerhouse IMO. Instead you have players bouncing around between Evolution, Inter, TC, Galaxy, BVB and then CSA and Campton - maybe Strikers.... maybe. I am not sure what happened at Campton Post SK/TB/CS but it created a vacum that sent many players to CSA. My guess is the various changes in management/coaching staff. I think over the next 2 seasons you well see that reverse itself however with CSA players moving back to Campton and some even back to Strikers. I know there is an entire 2008 team that's leaving and half the 05 and a ton of 06 players leaving after this season. If that happens I would assume Campton will be top dog again in that area.

22. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect a bunch of movement in the Naperville area. 05 Girls are sorting things out for the future and the move will be now.

23. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Agreed - 05-07 movement all over.

24. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    Sounds like things are pretty unsettled in the Naperville and West burbs, no surprise there lol. Been pretty quiet up there on the north shore outside of some FCU staffing changes. Any word on how our Eclipse North friends are doing? Is JS's "legendary" college placement rates and their club nutritionist attracting all the talent yet? An overall record of 14-50-9 in the ECNL doesn't look good... ;)

25. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am thinking Galaxy moving their fields to the big church on Montgomery/59 might change some minds.