Change the formation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bigredmachine, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Wow! We've added Fernandez, Macdonald, Alex, and Rolfe this season. Time to abandon the defensive formation we have been playing. Why not play a 4-1-3-2 or a 4-1-4-1? I can't see both Pardo and Pause on the field at the same time with all this talent sitting. Besides the 4 players above, we've got Pappa, Oduro, Nyarko. That's seven good midfielders. If you don't change the formation, then sit Pause or Pardo and play one of the above players in their place. We've needed a two way mid to increase our offensive capabilities for a long time. Macdonald and Fernandez also give us a lot more height for set pieces. Let's go for some goals!!

2. Brad Cox

Brad Cox Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elgin IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with you. Our back 4 has been solid this season. Keep it as is. But the Midfield and Forwards need to change I think. I'd personally like to see Rolfe and Oduro up top for now. After MacDonald has played more than maybe put him in for Oduro. At Midfield I'd like to see Pappa, Fernandez, Nyarko and maybe Alex(or Grazzini if he's back). But I know with Pause as captain he'll almost always play. So maybe play Pappa, Fernandez, Nyarko and Pause with Pardo as a sub. Or maybe play 5 midfielders with Rolfe as lone striker? I'm not sure what would suit us best but I really don't like the 2 CDM's with Pause and Pardo in at both times unless we've got a lead and we're trying to close a match out. 1 of them in to start a match I can live with. It's nice we have a little bit of depth now to look at.

3. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a 4-4-2 (diamond midfield) aka 4-1-2-1-2 type of guy. I say we play that.

4. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should that matter, FK should put out his BEST starting 11. If FK thinks that Pardo is the better player in that formation then it should be Pardo, like wise if he thinks Pause is better then it should be Pause. Either way just play only one of them Frankie and go with a 4-4-2 formation.

bunge repped this.
  5. Brad Cox

Brad Cox Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elgin IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. Always play your best if possible. I think i'm with you on the 4-4-2 as well. I'm thinking Fernandez starts tonight and Alex starts on the bench.

6. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the big question is who sits Pause or Pardo.....

7. Brad Cox

Brad Cox Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elgin IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really believe Pause will play even though I like Pardo more. Simply because Pause is our captain.

8. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Pardo gives us a better chance to win. I want Frankie to pick one of them and go to a single defensive midfielder formation (Pause being captain shouldn't factor into who plays).

Brad Cox repped this.
  9. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would start Pause and let him know that Pardo will be there to step in, that way Pause can run himself into the ground for 60 minutes or so...and then Pardo can step in to close the game out with fresh legs...

Brad Cox repped this.
  10. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    You hate to waste a sub there every game but for certain games that would be a good plan.

11. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh oh, that means...

-------------------Oduro-----------------
    Pappa, Fernandez, Alex,Rolfe,Nyarko, Macdonald
    ---------Arne--Anibaba----- Berry-----
    -----------------Johnson-----------------

12. Brad Cox

Brad Cox Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elgin IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like this plan. If we build a lead I think i'd let Pause play a full 90 and bring Pardo in for one of the attacking guys to help close the game out.

13. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    I'd like to see this tried out:

----------MacDonald---Rolfe-------
    -----------------Pappa-----------------
    Fernandez------------------- Nyarko
    ----------------Pause----------------
    --Segares--Arne--Anibaba--Berry--
    ----------------Johnson-----------------

Diamonds are made from fire ladies and gentlemen ;)

I know the Pappa as the CAM experiment didn't work before, but he didn't have Fernandez and Rolfe to play two-touch futbol with him.

And if Pappa gets sold then Rolfe steps in as the CAM and Oduro becomes the second striker. Boomshakalaka!

14. burningfire

burningfire Member+

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Formation means nothing when you get your azz whooped in every position.
    First and foremost ,you need players who are good enough to execute in their position .
    If not then its like a freak show.
    Sure we can change to three in the back and go all out Barca style or we can go all Italian .BUt the question still remains ,do we have quality players?

15. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course we do! Look at all the Fire All-Sta...

Uh, never mind. As you were.

16. Sparky98

Sparky98 Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Unless he can change his style of play, Pappa is to insistent on taking on 2 players everytime he gets the ball to play the CAM position. He has to have 3-4 touches before doing anything, it would just slow our attacking play, that is, if he doesn't lose the ball first. CAM have to be quick with thei decisions, I don't see that from Pappa.

17. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pappa and Rolfe are not CAM's.........

18. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'd like to see something like:

Code:
        MacDonald
    Pappa  Flaco  Oduro
        Pardo Pause
    I wonder if Fernandez is up to playing a box to box role to fill in for Pardo or Pause.

19. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Rolfe, Alex and Nyarko are on the bench.....but we still are going to play with TWO defensive midfielders.....

Sorry, but this would be a major failure....

20. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    None of those three have set the world on fire this year. Let's get our most talented players (and Pause) out there.

21. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two of those players haven't even played one minute for us and you have them on most talented players list on the team.

So I guess the Alex as our CAM is over, that didn't take long or Rolfe for that matter. If Alex is playing the CAM spot, he's able to track back and help out the ONE defensive midfielder. That was the biggest problem that everybody was saying why we weren't play a 4-4-2 with Grazzini. So we have a player that can and not only do you want to continue to play 4-5-1, but you want Rolfe, Alex and Nyarko on the bench.

The best we will finish is 5th place (which means one and out), if we continue to play 4-5-1.

Sorry, but this would be a HUGE mistake:

22. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet, formation talk has its own thread now. I'd also like to live in the fantasy land where our coaches can teach 14-15 formation tactics let alone the 1.5 they barely can now.

bunge repped this.
  23. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    They're better CAM's than Alex.

24. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    They're professional soccer players, if they can't learn 14-15 formation tactics in half a season they should retire.

25. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009

If you want Flaco as the CAM, how about this?

----------MacDonald---
    --------------------------Rolfe-------
    -----------------Flaco-----------------
    Pappa------------------- Nyarko
    ----------------Pause----------------
    --Segares--Arne--Anibaba--Berry--
    ----------------Johnson-----------------