Champions World Tour: USA benefit?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by sounderfan, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Stephen1164

Stephen1164 New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess some people liked it some didn't. I enjoyed Championsworld, MLS and EPL, everyone of them have good games and bad games. It's like a box of chocolate you never know what your going to get!

2. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Wow thats pretty clever airquotes so I can understand and nitpicking the missed e at the end of youre notice I purposefully left out the apostrophe since its (again left out for the benefit of khan) not worth the trouble. basically now youre pissing and moaning is against corporations so grow up and dont pay to see these matches. Nice and simple. Welcome to America where freedom is our ultimate right. You dont(again missed apostrophe for khan the dumbass) as a free american have to support Champions World or Man U or SAF if you dont(again missed) want to but others will and thats (again missed ******** face) our right and theres(again) ******** all you can do about it. Again I will say for those of you in the cheap seats THE ONLY REASON THIS STUPID ********IN IGNORANT ************** KHAN IS COMPLAINING IS THAT HE PAID MONEY TO GO TO A ************ MATCH. sINCE HE IS A ********IN BABY HE IS NOW CRYING TO ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN HOW ITS A CONSPIRACY AGAINST HIM. MY ADVICE GROW UP AAND IF THE $80 MEANS SO MUCH TO YOU GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS ILL REIMBURSE YOUR CHEAPASS. NOW ********OFF KHAN!!!!!!

3. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

BTW you neg repped me lets talk about ignorance Real didnt even play in the champuions world so what match did you go to? if youre gonna neg rep someone for ignorance at least have the brain to know what the fvck youre talkin about

4. Stephen1164

Stephen1164 New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you really feel, come be honest......lol

I will be in line for Championsworld tickets, well at least in line "On-Line" getting tickets. I'm hoping for Toronto again!!!!!!! they did deliver 90,000 soccer fans in 2 days!!!!

5. ArsenalGooner

ArsenalGooner Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I think the CWS did help MLS, at least in Chicago. I was there with a bunch of my friends and after the game we were all wondering why the hell we spent the money to see that when we can (and do) see the Fire for 1/3 the price of the cheapest CWS ticket. I think these tours, when they come off like the crap that was on display in Chicago, help MLS by getting people to realise that the grass isn't always greener on the other side (of the pond)...

6. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    as it happens, the tour took place during the pre-season, not the off-season, and Man Utd fielded pretty much the same kind of team that they'd have put out if they'd been playing in Hull or Antwerp or wherever on a normal pre-season tour. If you think about it in terms or a pre-season preparation, he did exactly the right thing not putting a full team out. Generally clubs start pre-season pretty low-key. If they want the games to have a little more edge then they should had been scheduled later, but even then there's no escaping the fact these are pre-season games. They will never be anything like proper matches. If somebody wants to pay a huge price to see a practice game, that's up to them, but they shouldn't then complain that it felt like a practice game. It's be like going to a rehearsal of a play and complaining the characters weren't in costume.

I do also suspect SAF thought he could persuade players that playing for their club is more important than playing in the olympics

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    A major point missed by all the posters here is that its FUTURE fans and players that get a huge boost from watching top European sides going at it.
    There are millions of registered youth players in the US. Coaches/parents would (and should) give their right arm to take their team/kids to watch the likes of Owen, Robben, Baggio etc etc.

8. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    ChampionsWorld had one match in 2002 and the match was Madrid-Roma. Ignorance eh?

9. Stephen1164

Stephen1164 New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You right my son is a Soccer kid and the teams and players he likes are from Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, etc. We also follow the MLS and he thinks seeing Brian McBride playing in England is cool to see. Because of CHampionsworld he has seen Chelsea, Liverpool, etc playing here in the states. So they do provide a chance to see the greats of the world not just the USA.

10. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good match, fun atmosphere

11. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't read all of this but keep in mind that even though I don't see any direct benefit to soccer in the US from CWT the USSF gets a cut of the tickets sold. I think a succesful USMNT is more important to the game than Euro preseason games but if this helps fund them, then hey, why not?

12. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that point is missed by all of the posters, but when someone pays $80-$100 to watch a snooze fest they have the right to complain about the quality of play on the pitch and they should do so. Now if some people didn't realize that some of these games are just glorified friendlies then shame on them

13. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was planning on going to a CWT match last summer, but couldn't make it. I know what the matches are like, and wouldn't have gone to see ManU anyway. It is great that they come play though and I think that it boosts support of soccer in the US. The key to getting hooked on soccer is to watch and appreciate soccer. If it takes big name European clubs to get Americans interested, fine.

Although I couldn't make the CWT, I did get to Houston to see the Texas Cup with Everton. I'm an Arsenal supporter, but was more than happy to go see an EPL team play. Everton fielded a reserve team and were beaten by a Mexican club ready to play for the win. All in all though, it was a lot of fun. Some friends that I took with me are now more in to soccer than before. The idea works.

I would like to see more involvement of the MLS teams in these tournaments though. One problem is that the EPL tours are in the middle of the MLS season. This could surely be worked out though.

14. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they benefit a bit. I've talked to fans who've started regularly attending Crew games after getting caught up in a CWT match.

Personally, I'd never go to a CWT match.

15. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the pain expressed from the Man U - Bayern match. I attended 5 matches (Philadelphia and the Meadowlands), was up close to the action, and enjoyed what I saw. Unlike Chicago, these were not snoozefests. I did not see players jogging through a pre-season friendly. They played hard, and wanted to win.

16. Stephen1164

Stephen1164 New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay so what's the word on Championsworld 2005?

17. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Manchester United won't be there, they will tour the far east

i would liek to see Real Madrid be part of it...of course all this depends on if these big teams qualify for the championsl eague, so their pre season schedule isnt huge....we probabaly wont know the teams for sure for a while yet

18. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that Newcastle United will be in the US next summer - not sure if they're coming through CW or not.

19. Stephen1164

Stephen1164 New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing wrong with Newcastle taking a tour of the USA. I'd go to see them and Real Madrid would be a nice club to see tour also.

20. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like them to play an MLS team.

However, the MLS's business plan has always been to grow on its own. As long as the MLS remains "inferior" to other leagues things will not change.