Champions League will be delayed due to Baseball

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by sixer1, Sep 30, 2003.

1. sixer1

sixer1 New Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Philadelphia
    today's inter-dynamo kiev match
    has been delayed to 1 am et, 10 pm pt tonight
    due to mlb playoffs
    according to oliver
    espn and espn2 must be free of programming
    during that time span since the 2 afternoon games
    might play at the same time

2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    do you know how ripped i would be if i wasn't able to see these baseball games?

3. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Wow well that ruins my afternoon.

4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? The Red Sox are going to lose...[​IMG]

5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    fanstastic! I just turned it on and I saw they cancelled it and put it on streetball....

What pisses me off isnt the lack of coverage in general by ESPN, they are entitled to cover what they want. It is the fvcking around with the schedules like this...

I would rather them NOT SHOW IT AT ALL.. It sucks trying to plan your day around this, only to be let down...

1:00 AM, thanks guys...

do it right or let another network handle it..

6. EscoDU01

EscoDU01 New Member

May 24, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rant:

Freaking ESPN putting on streetball instead of championsleague. I hope the mouse is stabbed to death, no, stoned to death.

End Rant.

To be perfectly honest, it is hard to be so upset because of this. I expected it in some way. It is a trend. I can believe that they would do this becuase it is ESPN. Please, FOX, save us! If FOX took over UEFA, World Cup, and MLS broadcasts, I would swear to never watch the mouse again.

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you meant 10 PM Pacific Time.. :)

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While this sounds like a completely assinine decision, I just love the immediate supposition that FOX would be such a nirvana. Check out the FSW forum to see how well they do on MLS games. And, remember, they've had chances to buy this contract before.

9. sixer1

sixer1 New Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Re: Re: Champions League will be delayed due to Baseball

thanks, been changed

10. sachinag

sachinag New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO
    I think people are missing the point of the original post. When the Giants game sstarts at 4pm ET, the Yankees game may still be going. ESPN2 needs to be free to pick up the beginning of the Giants game before it moves over to ESPN. That's why there's filler on ESPN2 before the game.

11. sixer1

sixer1 New Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Philadelphia
    yeah can you imagine the reaction on bigbaseball.com
    if people missed the first two innings of the the giants-marlins game because espn2 is showing SOCCER..
    oh the humanity

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Listen, the fact that they left it until now is idiotic. But if you can't put aside your self-interest to see the logical reality - i.e. they spent money for the baseball contract which has certain things Disney says the have to do - than I'm sorry. The martyr complex doesn't play well.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    but this is bull sh!t, we've had to miss the beggining of our games due to everything from boringball to racing, and they can't MAYBE miss 2 innings. Sure boringball is more popular in this country but don't schedule the CL game and then move it, thats just he BS they've been getting away with forever. FSW needs to put us out of our missery, I don't care what people say about their MLS coverage, they still give us plenty of EPL and other games, they're doing a fantastic job IMO.

14. sachinag

sachinag New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO
    I'm sorry, but ESPN called this absolutely right. They want to show baseball, and America wants to see baseball. I'm sure that even if they don't have to show the overlap on ESPN2, but they'd be idiots not to do so. What if they missed a Barry Bonds home run?

And forgive me, but I think the baseball playoffs are a hell of a lot more important the the CL group stages.

15. sixer1

sixer1 New Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Philadelphia
    that was my sarcasm..

i understand that mlb must enforce that rule,
    but i can understand the people who are annoyed

for me i had taped the game, but i'll just have to tape again

the point I was making was that it would be ironic
    if that people were ranting on bigbaseball.com
    since that type of problem happens to soccer a ton of times, and people complain here

16. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    THIS is all I care about.. Dont tease me with the game and yank it.. I would rather they just ignored CL if this continues....

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Vagisil, STAT!!!!

Seriously... don't you think FSW has had the opportunity to bid on this, and maybe passed it up because it was too expensive for the return they would get? I mean, they need a little more than our undying affection to keep themselves in business.

18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    true, I didn't think about that

that was so 2 years ago :D

19. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Not according to their contract, no.

Agreed it was a stupid decision to make at the last minute, but a) the CL game is on and b) you won't miss any of it. If it were scheduled to start at 2:30, you would miss some of it. Guaranteed.

Then you could bitch about how the games are only available to satellite and digital cable consumers.

20. sccerchek

sccerchek New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Gulf Coast
    Not if you think baseball is the most boring sport in the world. It has its moments but they mostly just stand around with the gloves up there asses waiting to go sit on the bench !!!

I would watch a rec soccer game over baseball playoffs! !!

21. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    This issue will be completely moot starting in 2004 with UEFA Champions League telecasts being aired in the US on a non-pay-per-view basis live EXCLUSIVELY on ESPN Deportes.

The only thing ESPN has to do to satisfy its contract with UEFA is to offer an AVERAGE of
    1 telecast per match day on a non-pay-per-view US TV network, live or tape-delay, in any language. ESPN can even skip a match day and make it up later with 2 telecasts on a match day.

Enjoy ESPN2's coverage of UEFA Champions League through the end of 2003. There are 5 telecasts left on ESPN2, including the one delayed tonight.

ESPN Deportes will be 100% en Espanol with no English-language SAP. The technical cost of making English-language SAP available does not justify the expected ZERO incremental return on investment.

22. I guess I can be justified in saying... ESPN SUCKS!!

23. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    How it wll it be offered? Direct TV standard or additional $$?

Disappointing, but it is better than the current situation, so I will take it in a heartbeat.

24. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA

ESPN Deportes has signed on to be carried by DirecTV PARA TODOS (but not DirecTV).

Also, COX Communications will offer ESPN Deportes in some areas on the Spanish-language digital tier.

25. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Unfortunately for you, most of America thinks soccer is the most boring sport in the world.