Champions League: Quarterfinals - Leg 2 - April 14, 2009 - Chelsea FC v. Liverpool FC [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by I-Got-The-BLUES, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L.G.S

L.G.S New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    England
    That's been done. You are four pages too late.

2. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Well Liverpool are going to throw the kitchen sink at us (obviously), so they will certainly be left open for the counter. I say for the 1st 45 mins they will play a normal game, and likely throw caution to the wind in the 2nd. I cannot see us not taking full advantage of them if they try and bombard us. The only thing is that we run the risk of them nicking a goal if we simply just sit back and invite pressure on to ourselves. It would be tough for them to break us down, but 1 goal can just as easily become 2 goals, and from then on we are going to be chewing our fingers to bone. I simply don't see that happening so I say 2-1 to Chelsea.

3. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Been done how? I was simply answering a stupid question.

4. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was answered previously by another poster. I just set my recording. I added an extra hour just in case. I hope to hell I won't need it.

Go On Chelsea.

5. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No HD in the States still, BTW.

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know...even though it is being played on an HD channel! :rolleyes:

7. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    Benitez will have to decide whether or not it's worth taking the risk of starting Gerrard who apparently is not fully fit. I can't see him not starting him. So if Gerrard starts I guess Guus will have Essien shadow him again. Then Benitez could play Gerrard in a different position in an attempt to give him more freedom away from Essien. But I can't see it working as Essien will be breathing down his neck at every opportunity.

I believe we will play much the same as we did in the first leg. Even with Terry out we still have two capable centre backs in Alex and Carvalho. Alex has done reasonably well all season. So it's not as if we're replacing Terry with an amateur. I'm sure Riccy and Cech have learned a lesson from the Bolton game and are rearing to go.

Coming into Stamford Bridge 3-1 in arrears means Pool will be confronted with a mountain to climb and I don't believe they can accomplish it. The odds are definitely in our favour and it's up to Guus to see our lads don't screw up.

8. scabdirisaq

scabdirisaq Member

Jun 24, 2007
    BK Park
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Somalia
    How can anyone argue Ballack is a better player than Mikel?

Mikel HAS BEEN in form for almost all season... he has been on form every-time we needed and Ballack has been on form one game (every 10 games or so) horrible the next. on my part, Mikel is the superior player no doubt.

How are you going to disregard Mikel's whole season because ballack was on form the first leg?

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I did the same thing, only added 2 extra hours. :D

10. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Get the job done.

11. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well, I'm stuck at the office going through photos. So I will have to catch this later. :( Thank goodness for DVR.

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Apparently, Gerrard is not even in the line-up.

We line-up the same way, except Riccy takes Terry's spot.

13. bluemen groupee

bluemen groupee New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    westside
    That's a fun little wrinkle, isn't it. How will Hiddink respond?

I love me some CL chess match.

14. Shwegeh

Shwegeh Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Don't think Guus will mind seeing Gerrard out completely. Essentially it's a Mascherano for Gerrard switch, and in a game that they need goals, that tends to favor us. I'm going to guess Guus will want Essien rough up that woman a bit.

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    No, I think it's Benayoun for Gerrard, while Mascherano will allow him and Kuyt to go more forward.

Essien will now be on Benayoun, I'm almost certain. Lucas is not a threat and Mascherano will just have to be deal with on the defensive end.

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess this means no 90+minute penalty for Liverpool!!!

17. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    When all is said and done Gerrard is a better player than Benayoun and Essien is better than both . . .

What I would do is I'd put Mikel on Benayoun and have Mikel in the DM role and then I would push Essien on to Mascherano and by doin that we would have the midfield totally dominated. . .that is what I would do. But some Dutch bloke is managing the team. Ho-Hum.

18. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Benayoun is a clever player and has been in good form this season but I'd fancy Essien to deal with him.

19. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :D

Sometimes the whole soap opera of football is just too much. . .

20. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Big blow to Liverpool. I wonder if that changes our tactics. Does Essien play further up? Does he man mark Torres or some other player?

21. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    i'm so excited :D:D:D

22. Shwegeh

Shwegeh Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dont think Torres. Having Riccy back to bother Torres is great. He's much better suited than fatty Alex or Terry imo.

23. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    Essien will man mark everyone from Liverpool

24. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    With Gerrard out it will be interesting to see what tactics Guus will employ. With Alex replacing Terry I believe it will be the same starting line as in the first leg.

The odds appear more in our favour and we should go through to the Semi-Final.

25. StamfordBridgeView

Aug 23, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could actually see us losing tonight. I think we will go thru, but I think we could lose tonight.

Stilll very very very nervous