Champions League Poll: How will Italian clubs fare?

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Dec 20, 2008.

1. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Vote and share your opinion

2. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    probably one will end up going, if i had to choose i think roma is the most likely...but i just have a feeling they will all bomb out, so i voted 0.

3. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roma and Juve. We can beat Arsenal because I feel we have a stronger midfield this season. I just don't see Anelka causing any problems for Juve. Inter will crash out as usual...:D

4. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Maybe I'm biased, but I don't see Inter getting past Manchester United. Jose's got his tactical prowess, and a great record against United (albeit with Chelsea), but I feel that despite this, and the amount of workhorses in their midfield, they are devoid of a significant creative spark. An isolated Ibra, I think, would be the end of them offensively.

Arsenal, as always, are mentally weak. While it's true anything can turn around in two months, it's also true things can get worse. If I recall correctly, they collapsed and tossed away their season in a short span of time last season. Regardless of how one might speculate on mental state, with the players they have now I'd go with Roma's midfield anyday over theirs. While it looks extremely close on paper I'm thinking (and hoping) Roma can pull this off.

In terms of Juve/Chelsea, well, I really just want to see Chelsea bounced out and I think Juve can do it.

5. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Roma has the best draw on paper. As I noted in the other CL thread, I am worried about this tie if Arsenal regain form. I think Juve did well enough (obviously well enough to win the group) but the other teams in their group didn't quite play to the level I expected (esp. Zenit). So I chose Roma and Juve, but to be honest, I think Inter could beat United if Inter play high quality football. I just don't see that happening; they seem to be too inconsistent this year.

6. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    i think all three italian clubs will have a very difficult task to get through this round. I believe two teams will go through....but, it's a toss up. I'll say Roma and Juve.

7. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    If Roma come out flat against Arsenal like they did today against Catania then we'll surely have our asses handed to us. If we see the same inspired and determined Roma side that we saw against Chelsea and Bordeaux, then we'll most definitely advance to the quarters.

Although we were fortunate to draw a struggling Arsenal in the round of 16, we must still be weary. Arsenal knows that their hopes of winning the EPL title this season are all but faded, so they're gonna pour everything they've got into making a great CL run. This team also needs to learn to start winning without Totti there, as is chances of being fit and in the lineup are always shakey.

I'm also sure that Arsenal are just as relieved to have drawn the Italian club that isn't even in a European spot in the current league standings. Perhaps we can use this to our advantage and play on some potential over-confidence on Arsenal's part.