Champions league and Europa league thread (General)

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by wilson00, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Spartak Moscow booted from the Europa L.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Been watching Roma -Vitesse. Wow, Roma are really bad. Vitesse should be up 0-1 but Openda missed a sitter.

EDIT: and right at the stroke of halftime, Roma get a garbage goal on a carom inside the box. I'm sure Mourinho will now bunker his team down and go for the 1-0 win. How I hate the man.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    PSV can thank their lucky stars the away goal rule has been scrapped :eek:

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Feyenoord were the only Dutch club to take care of business tonight. AZ got royally screwed with a late penalty call that clearly was not. PSV tanked again with a leaky defense but did end up even at 4-4. Vitesse couldn't come back from the fluke goal against Roma who were really bad. Let's hope that things turn out better next week with all four in action in the return leg along with Ajax at home against Benfica.

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Feyenooit should go through.
    Vitesse are done.
    Alkmaar still have a chance.
    PSV are 50/50 to go through

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Did you see the awful call against AZ in the 90th minute. No way was that a penalty as the defender clearly got to the ball. VAR would have overturned it.

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Vitesse have Roma at home; I'm not so sure this is done and dusted.

8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    2nd leg is in Rome. I wouldnt bet on a win.
    A draw is the best they can hope for, but it wont be enough

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My bad, I thought it was a home game for Roma because of their shirts.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  10. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Just saw the penalty against AZ. What crap. Is there not VAR in the conference league??

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Correct, no VAR.

12. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    that feels pretty crazy not to have var in an uefa knockout competition in 2022.

richsavare repped this.
  13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not really. I don't think the Europa League had them last year and this new Conference League has a lot of teams from small countries that don't have the money to implement VAR in their leagues.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's not saying much but Ajax are much better than Juventus. I wonder if de Ligt will try to force a transfer this summer. Juve have so many holes to fill and a lot of aging players.

15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Danjuma scored a PK

16. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How do you come up with this assumptions.

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In what regard: de Ligt wanting to leave Juventus or Juventus having a poor team and too many old players? First they have a bloated payroll and were fortunate to off load Ronaldo to stupid ManU. Other than de Ligt, their back line is old (Cheillini and Bonucci) or not very good.(Rugani). The FBs are rubbish and can neither defend nor link up well. the midfield is a mess, even Klaassen is better than any of their starters.. Dybala plays maybe every other match and even then not the whole game. Their best player Chiesa went down with a knee injury. Morata is on loan and not worth keeping They really lucked out in getting Vlahovic who forced a transfer from Fiorentina.

18. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Do you even follow them to put up this argument. Chisea, Mckenie both are injured. Vlahvoic , kean, Authur, locatelli, Deligt are all 25 and below.Rabiot is 26 and bernadeschi 28.

Agree they have a aging back line but they have not shown any sign of decline yet
    Cuadrado is still a very important player for them, alex sandro and danilo as well. Chiellini and Bouncii might be question mark and probably this is where they need a overhaul. But then things were looking very good before Demiral injury who is on loan at Atalanta. He did relegate De ligt to the bench. Dragusin still remains a juventus players who also is a highly rated defender on loan at Torino. Who cant get minutes . Kuluvsevski as well at spur.

Even for those who are nearing 30 and above like morata and including those mentioned above like Cuadrado, Alex, Danilio, they are still playing top flight football and and at International level as well and that itself is a indication of their competency level. Now if you compare this to the dutch player around the same age they are already on a decline and are back in eredividie about to retire.

Klaassen comparison is a joke and like everywhere he will never survive the tempo of serie A.

Well after the CL exist the management will come to terms with and start building the team around the youngsters they have.

19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Whichever way you slice it, losing 3-0 at home against the 7th place Liga team is a terrible result

20. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Villareal is a good team mind you regardless of the standings. I wont be suprised if they reach the final. They have a very good squad including bench.

As for Juventus they streak of losing in knock out stages is not any thing new. Last season vs porto in the round of 16, before that Lyon in the round of 16, before that Ajax in the QF , real madrid before that.

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It looks like its gonna be Bayern's year again.
    I dont see too many holes in their lineup

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have probably watched 2.3 of all Juve matches this season and regularly post over on their forum (you can go over there and see how their own supporters rate players. I did not say all the players were old but a significant number are. I noted that Chiesa was hurt and he was probably the most dangerous attacker on the team before Vlahovic joined in January. the other players you note with the exception of de Ligt, have not played well at Juve and are dead weight under Allegri. Whether they would be better under another manager is an open question. Kean has not impressed at any club he has played for. McKennie works hard but is a Klaassen-like MF. Rabiot is a cipher, he plsys well for the French NT but is pretty awful at Juve. Bernadeschi is not outstanding.

Cuadrado's best days are behind him and he stays on the ball too long and is quite selfish. Alex Sandro and Danilo are past their prime. Demiral was poor for Juve but is playing well for Atalanta. They tried to get rid of Rugani but nobody would take him. Kulusevski was quite bad and Juve spent too much money for him.

Dutch football is played at a much higher tempo than Serie A. Players are not as good in terms of the top group of teams but beyond the top group, most Italian teams are very poor.

[quote[Well after the CL exist the management will come to terms with and start building the team around the youngsters they have.[/QUOTE]
    Unfortunately, they have real money problems at Juve, not as bad as Barcelona but the debt is high. It is one of the reasons they are pushing for the breakaway league. they are lucky in that the remaing sechedule other than the match against Inter is quite weak and they probably will hold on to fourth place by the skin on their teeth.

23. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    PSV through the next round after a convincing 4-0 away win. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Only concern is that I noticed that Gakpo went off injured. Hopefully it’s just a small knock.

AZ going to extra time.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    AZ lose in extra team to a Norway team that has not played a league match since November (they have a long winter break because of cold weather). Disappointing.

25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you get a chance check out the Vitesse 0-1. Beautiful volley