Champions league and Europa league thread (General)

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by wilson00, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The left back didn't look great at De Bruyne his goal for 1-1 imho

2. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #902 wilson00, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Not really. De bryne's shot went in untouched. But Bakker did lose stones who came close to tapping De Bryne's cross.

There was also one occassion where bakker and navas had a break down in communication and ended up colliding with each other with bakkers clearence nearly resulting in own goal. Other wise defensively he did a good job given the poessession city had.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bakker was not the problem today. PSG somehow forgot how to play football in the second half. De Bruyne's cross that went in was a strange goal and the wall was atrocious on the second one. Don't see PSG winning the return match.

4. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I thought city midfield simply were too good and decsive. Plus they played without a recognized striker. The flanks were quite.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    PSV draws Galatasary in the 2nd round qualification in the Champions League. I guess we will see whether they have what it takes. AZ, whose team is slowly being dismantled, may not even make the Europa League group stage and Feyenoord is in a playoff round for the new Euro Conference. It could be that only Ajax are left standing at the end of the day. Too bad as we need all the clubs to start getting wins in Europe.

6. It's the false strategy to buy out the strength of Eredivisie opponents, because that weakening is projected into the Euro cup competitions and in the end in the standing of the Eredivisie in Europe.
    It might seem to be smart to become the only club to dominate the Eredivisie, but in the end it will result into Ajax itself being pushed to the rim in Europe. It's not so long ago that also the champion had to go through preliminary rounds for the CL.
    If all clubs get minimalized but Ajax, the coefficient is going to fall.

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ????? is this about the Berghuis transfer? I don't see Ajax purchasing AZ or PSV players. They did get Passveer from Vitesse but he's old and was a free transfer.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  8. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agreed. We have now just signed 1 player from our rivals. All other transfer speculations such as Ihattaren, Stengs, Boadu, etc. all did not happen.

On the opposite side, how many ex-Ajax players does PSV have?

Besides Berghuis which just happened, i'm not seeing Ajax buying the best players off their rivals. It's a weak excuse for the continued failures of other Dutch clubs in Europe.

Orange14 repped this.
  9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    2-0 PSV after 35 minutes. Great start! :thumbsup:

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    5-1 final score!!!!! PSV should go through barring a major collapse in Turkey.

11. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    van Ginkel again was clincal in the build up to 2nd and 3rd goal.

12. gabrielguilarte

Feb 23, 2016
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Any highlights ??

13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They have one more round to play after Galatasaray, don't they??

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Two more rounds. After this the winner of Celtic and Midtjylland. If they win that it is Gent, Spartak Moscow, Shaktar Donetsk or Benfica. Because PSV is unseeded.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That wont be easy then. Especially if they draw Benfica

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Correct. I think this is the same path that Ajax had to travel back in 2019 when they made it to the semifinals.

17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It will not be a walk in the park but Benfica isn't as strong as five or ten years ago. Financially I think they can't do much this summer and board members have been arrested.

18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hiding under a rock???? It's another attempt by UEFA to stave off the Super League. I predict in a couple of years that they turn the Champions League into a Super League and use this new competition as a way to please all the UEFA countries who cannot compete with a new one that they can. We'll see how Feyenoord handle this competition.

20. According to Voetbal International this season is the chance to grab the 6th place in the coeff. ranking. They say we drop our disastrous coeff. points season while Portugal drops a very good coeff. point season.
    The benefits are huge and means millions of €€ for the Eredivisie clubs. If we do right we will then get two direct CL spots and one 3rd round qualifier, 1 direct EL spot and two CL qualifier spots.
    So we better not screw this up and start grabbing points.
    Tens of millions are at stake. We can't rely on Ajax getting an extraordinary run every year.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Past history is predictive of failure from every club save Ajax. I don't know what kind of coefficient points come from the Conference League where Feyenoord and Vitesse are in. I doubt AZ does much in the Europa League given they are selling all their players. PSV will do a big service by making it to the group stage.

22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Forget about it. Feyenoord is again dropping a big turd.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Two good chances in the 2nd half but no goals in the end. I've never heard of this Kosovo team.

24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Teams like Braga and Gent win against this with 0-4 and I am not kidding.

As long as the taxes remain high and all the other regulations like work permits very strict, it remains a tall order to overtake Portugal really. That league has also the direct money tap of the banks and the state.

25. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord