Champions Deserve a Home: www.homeforthedynamo.com

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by antnee7898, Apr 28, 2008.

1. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone should put the Mayors E-Mail address on the chron site so they write him with these "Give em the Stadium" rants.

2. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Wharton
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Stadium Updates III - expected cost now $105M, TSU is interested

I forget, has anyone pitched the idea of taking up a collection from the fans to help pay for the stadium? If we generated enough momentum behind it (getting the attention of local TV and newspapers wouldn't hurt), we could probably get a few larger businesses to pitch in some large checks to help us along in making up the "gap" between the city and the team on cost.

3. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I have mentioned it once before and didnt get much respone.

why not try it .if some of the people who support the team and post on these boards got behind some kind of attention getting stunt ,and put all of their intelligence passion and creativity into it ,Im sure there would be plenty of local press coverage and attention.
    why not appeal to the city populace on the basis of its citizens truly owning a part of the team by helping to fund the stadium...Im sure the front office could come up with a way to spin it and give a fractional percentage of team stock to everone who donates a certain amount of money.With what the Sons of Ben evolved into and the impact they had ,It would be great for a huge groundswell to emerge and get behind something that would put the stadium issue in the spotlight and put the Dynamo in a favorable light.

Im all for whatever will help get the deal done .I ll also help in anyway i can.

4. Dynamo_Joe

Dynamo_Joe Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas

Not to poo poo your idea but the donations from fans would number in the thousands as in 10k and we need millions. Its certainly a feel good idea but this is Houston, the fourth largest city in the USA. AEG needs to sack up and just pay for the stadium and stop their bitching. They are definitely going to get their money back in terms of revenue streams via events at the new park. Especially if it is located downtown.

5. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is a good idea that needs collective planning. I would support this.

6. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fans pay for stadlum idea? Interesting. Call it the 10K x $10K plan.

7. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's easy to do the math.

15,000,000 is a lot of money no matter how you divide it up.

The problem is that anyway you try to help AEG get the lacking funding, you totally see them just capitalizing on a new revenue stream.

I think that they should just issue offer shares of club Dynamo. They would of course be non-voting shares on some issues, but you could throw them a bone on certain issues like in Seattle.

I bet if you offered something of value like that it wouldn't take too long to get people excited about putting money into the stadium. I know that if I could be a part owner of the club, I'd be willing to contribute a bunch of money.

And this isn't impossible. The Green Bay Packers have this setup, and they seem to be doing ok.

8. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

I don't think it is that simple.

All of the other projects being worked on, or most that had been worked on, involved/involve some sort of community/gov't co-operation.

If there is no co-operation here it opens up a can of worms elsewhere for critics of current/future projects.

Also, MLS is trying to be treated like the other teams in town. Do they have the history and clout. Nope, but they are attempting to be treated in the same manner, and why shouldn't they? Can it backfire and delay the process? Sure.

If you have some political and economical clout you try and use it. Especially with regards to big projects.

Not saying people should accept that, but understand that this is how things work with regards to gov't and big business.

That small contribution that is being looked for also pushes back profitability a number of years.

It's never that simple.

9. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

with all due respect.this response is exactly why outside the box ideas never seem to pick up any steam or traction.........there is no faith.....so what if you do the math and see the astronomical numbers needed to make a real impact.Do you think i didnt think of that when i posted?No I actually put some thought into it for weeks now.But the first time i post just a fraction of my idea someone immediately sees the glass half empty and although you say you arent poo pooing the idea .thats exactly what you are doing......go read it again.and think about it some.....yea its a big mountain to climb........what did the sons of Ben think two years ago? when they had no team no owner no nothing except a dream and passion for the dream................There are people who love this team ,who are intellegent and have means.
    Would it be better to not do anything at all or would it be better to attempt to make a difference even at the risk of making a very small difference?How do any of us know what the results would be if the fans of the Dy namo united and mobilized on behalf of the stadium issue?sometimes you have to dare to dream and then dare to act.......im just sayin........and i apologize to you if it seems Im directing it all toward you .Im really not.Im more or less responding to the BS mentallity i see where e verone wants to overscrutinize every single word someone posts but yet no one wants to DO ANYTHING POSITIVE.They just critisize and complain.........I hope someone in Houston will think out of the box and come up with a creative idea to get the public involved.Show the politicos at City Hall that the Stadium in Downtown Houston for the Dynamo is an important issue.With future benefits for all.........dont just do nothing .......

comeonyouleaderscomeonyoudynamolovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. SergentOrange

SergentOrange New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Spring

Anyone mention the idea of collecting money for a billboard that might say something like "Where's Our Stadium ?" as an alternate way of showing our need for a stadium?

11. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll put up $20 for that one!

12. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

im in for a donation as well.this is a good idea and probably not out of the realm of reality for how much money we could raise............Now what?

can someone do the research as to where would be the most effective location? or maybe we could raise enought to rent more than one..

cost?

term? monthly weekly?

13. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

lets take some slogan ideas.......lets do the legwork to find out the particulars of renting a billboard.........make a lot of noise that the fans are paying for the billboard....have a peprally at the location where it is unveiled or something like that.......get some attention and then do something else and then something else until the politicos take notice..........the people in the decision making hierarchy need to see and hear that there are a lot of fans who want this stadium downtown and who are willing to do something for it........and most importantly sell out for the Home opener against Chivas USA.......let them see 30k every home game................comeonyoudynamocomeonyoufansandsupporters!!!!!!!!!!

14. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Bandido is taking donations but no dollar bills, you could keep them Washingtons !!!

15. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It would be nice to know what rought the mayor takes to work everyday and put one up on his way to work. Or near his building would be good. He is the one were trying to convince right???

16. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

I am going to guess Memorial Drive or I-10.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/9606921/detail.html

9800 block of Memorial is within 1 mile of his home according to the reports of when his daughter got arrested.

My guess is that he travels down Memorial into town.

That is the route I would go if I was him and I live not too far away.

Regardless, please no one do anything stupid with the address now that we know.

I don't know that there are any billboards on his way into town honestly.

Maybe I will have to travel the route to check it out.

17. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Another alternative is just to pick a very visible location near Downtown or elsewhere that will be seen by him either way (i.e. media attention or otherwise) and many other people in general. :D

18. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like that idea better than trying to stalk the mayor. One near the stadium site would be really cool, lots of traffic and a meaningful spot. Of course, near downtown it would be very expensive I'm sure, though you do see the guys sometime putting up signs asking for dates, proposing marriage, or asking for a kidney, so I'm sure it's doable. On the other hand, if all you want is a cheap billboard, there's a big lighted one on the corner of 60 and 90A in downtown East Bernard, over the Shell station, that's probably cheap. But you'd have to fight off Ron Carter and Mattress Mac.

19. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

why not ask Mattress Mac and other local Dynamo sponsors to help with the idea?

why not put on dynamo kits and fill buckets with donations at busy intersections like the fire dept does or other people asking for help with a good cause?

if we mobilize there are probably a hundred ways we could raise enough money to rent a bill board.......i like the idea and i like the idea of putting it downtown or near the stadium site........i renting one close to the mayors home looks to confrontational...but let the ideas keep coming and let all who read them weigh in until there is a consensus.

comeonyoustadiumcravingdynamolovinghoustonians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

someone down there in Houston needs to set up a website or something that people can log onto to donate........I dont know what all that entails but i know there are plenty of people who post right here on this board who do know.

I pledge $100.00 right now .Once there is someplace to send the money Im all in.And we need to get TA and EB involved and mobilized.........

come on guys we can do SOMETHING that will make a difference......who knows maybe if it picks up enough steam we can get Oscar De La Hoya involved............Pep rally? Car washes? straight up Panhandling?

whatever it takes.................then one day when we are all standing outside of the new Citizens Stadium at Dynamo Park tailgating we will look at eachother over our Brats and Beers and say ....we did this we really did this......

20. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I still like the Mayors rought thing but we might have to put that it's our sign and not the Dynamos so he don't feel threatend:rolleyes:. Also a tv news tip off would be good.

21. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

its just my opinion but whatever is done needs to NOT in any way make it look like we perceive the Mayor as an the "bad guy".Remember he is trying to posture for the people by taking the tax issue into the public debate where it should be ..we cant make it look like us against them but rather treat them as neutral and portray ourselves as the dedicated and adoring fans who have a passionate love for the Dynamo [which we are]who just dont want to lose our team.........thats the way I would approach it but i could be wrong.....present things in a way that shows us and the team as the underdogs who just want their own house so they can play for their adoring fans in an adequate and profitable stadium.......dont pit the fans of Dynamo against anyone in particular ...just be the new kids in town who have won over the fans and given them two Cups and now all we want is our own modest house .

22. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the mayor would be in the back of his limo and won't be reading any billboards....

23. Dutka

Dutka Member

Jul 12, 2007
    H-Town

What about creating a flyer with the Mayor's info (phone, e-mail, etc) and putting them on cars in the parking lots at the home games? You know you've targeted someone who cares for the team...and getting them to voice their opinion would seem to help. You could also target the different soccer fields in the area. There are a lot of private fields springing up around town that have people who care about the sport...and don't forget all the soccer families at places like Bear Creek Park on the weekends. I think getting the citizens of Houston that care about the Dynamo and soccer in general to voice their want of a stadium would make a big impact. It seems like right now it is mainly the people who are on BS that are trying to be heard...if we increase the number of people demanding a stadium I think it would make more of an impact.

24. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

yes.....

25. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't see why not. Maybe he's talking on the phone kinda staring out the window. Unless he just watches TV or reads the paper every morning and evening, he looks out the window in thought or interest for a time. I think everyone who rides, looks out the window for a time. He will see it.